Premium Member
1,912 Posts
:censored:

Reactions: Gizmo and macxpert

·
Registered
401 Posts
@macxpert
Correct, it is a capri under the mercury brand in the states. There were a number of assembly plants (United Kingdom: Halewood - West Germany: Saarlouis, Cologne - Australia: Homebush - South Africa: Port Elizabeth) mine was one made in Cologne, Germany

·
Super Moderator
6,121 Posts
@macxpert
Correct, it is a capri under the mercury brand in the states. There were a number of assembly plants (United Kingdom: Halewood - West Germany: Saarlouis, Cologne - Australia: Homebush - South Africa: Port Elizabeth) mine was one made in Cologne, Germany
I forgot about the old Ford plant at Homebush. Maybe just the engines came from the UK. Been so long. One of my close friends had the 3 litre V6 that he restored in the late 70s early 80s. That thing was fast but he sold it to raise some extra funds to buy a house. European Fords do have a certain character that you don't get from the AU and US designed cars.

·
Administrator
3,953 Posts
Not to change the subject but there is a post on here (in the turbo fury build IIRC) where someone said (I believe DudeMan) you can go down two temp levels and use a smaller gap and it supposed to make a more complete burn. Is there any truth to that?
Bringing up spark plugs in a spark plug thread... that's pretty cringe. 😬

Normally, you would run the plug Honda suggests. Some Furys run rich, in which case you may want a hotter plug (see #1). To address your question:

7. Supercharging/Turbocharging: With increased chamber pressure and temperature, boosted engines need two or more heat ranges colder plugs.

Note the thread you reference and #7 are talking about boosted engines.

If you're worried about it, pull a plug and drop a camera into each cylinder and look around to see what's going on. (Mine is clean enough to read the numbers off the top of the piston, yet runs rich enough to carbon up the exhaust pipe.) Going in it'll look something like this (not my pictures, for reference only):
Eye Automotive tire Font Automotive wheel system Pattern

Automotive lighting Gas Tints and shades Circle Symmetry

DBPOWER has a variable output light and works with Windows 10 without installing any drivers (so no fear of downloading viruses or future driver unavailability). The resolution is over-stated but it's affordable and gets the job done. I use it with a laptop so the view screen is stable and large, the video can be recorded for future reference, and I have both hands free to position the camera (which is why I have the stiff but flexible cable). Buying a tiny view screen is useless in my world, it's just going to fall on the ground and break.

Wandering around inside the cylinder isn't normally necessary, but I was tuning the snot out of my bike and needed to know what was happening inside the engine. (Plus what the hell, it's another cool tool.)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Looks like a Ford Capri. We got them here in Oz in the 70s, only the ones we got were made in the UK. They came with a 1.6 litre 4 cylinder and 3 litre V6 in the GT version.
I dated a girl in Sydney in 1983 who had the V6. Had a factory top loader & 9”. She drove it like a freaking lunatic also. If only I’d known & bought it off her.. big bucks these days for that model

·
Registered
2019 Fury. Blue on Blue. 8Deg Tree, 3" extension, Baron Air, Road Burner pipes, All LED Lights, Guhl
417 Posts
The Fury is EFI so plugs don't make as much of a difference as one might expect. Generally the OEM plugs work best under all conditions, which is why they were chosen.

Electricity takes the shortest path, so only one of the three prongs on E3 will spark, usually the one that is bent in a little more than the others.

Iridium plugs were designed for vehicles where the plugs are near impossible to service, in normal vehicles like the Fury they don't matter much because the plugs are very accessible. If a person is going to "check the plugs" it's better to not use iridium because plugs have a crush gasket that's not technically reusable, so the plugs might as well be replaced anyway. Iridium plugs can be damaged easily, so cleaning them with a wire brush is precarious (they usually stay pretty clean anyway if the engine is running well).

"Cleaning the plugs" is kind of dangerous, if the plug is spent it's spent. If the ceramic on a used plug cracks it's going to trash the cylinder, so it's just not worth it to clean them.

Scotty Kilmer explains quite a bit about spark plugs (you might want to watch this before changing plug type):

That guy must have had a gallon of coffee with a gallon of espresso. The show engine masters has covered many many things. But they have not done a spark plug show! Maybe if we inundate them with requests to do a spark plug episode????

·
Registered
2019 Fury. Blue on Blue. 8Deg Tree, 3" extension, Baron Air, Road Burner pipes, All LED Lights, Guhl
417 Posts
I dated a girl in Sydney in 1983 who had the V6. Had a factory top loader & 9”. She drove it like a freaking lunatic also. If only I’d known & bought it off her.. big bucks these days for that model
Ya some women will drive the wheels off. Two aunts of mine were like that. My dad had a 1968 olds 442 . 360 HP. my uncle had a 69 Hurst olds. 380 hp. Never beat my dad till his wife drive it!! She beat him by 2 car lengths. My other Aunt used to drive her husband's Pulling Truck in powder puff pulls. These are after the main event and track is torn up. She usually would do better than him. He said it's because she didn't have to fix it if it broke🤣🤣🤣 If they like to drive. Marry them!!! Gift from God. Just like this photo of Ann Margaret. I think Elton John's song Candel in the wind is fitting for this photo.
Face Cloud Wheel Tire Land vehicle
Face Cloud Wheel Tire Land vehicle

·
Registered
417 Posts
My daughter had a 1972 MGB it was total junk but it could bark the rear wheels in 2nd. gear !
That's still in the years we're they were real fun to drive. Dual carbs,4spd,posi. Just remember to check the dip stick on the carbs.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
this thread is nothing if not a random collection of thoughts and brain synapses...I like it.
And it's title is "Spark Plugs"

Like everyone is just firing off whatever thought crosses the synapse gap in their brains.. I wonder if we can tell who's gap is 0.030 vs. 0.045 :ROFLMAO: Followup question: If we can tell, then would we recommend that some need a re-gapping :)

Okay, I'll stop now, that's probably enough dad-jokeish puns for a Saturday morning. :p

·
Registered
650 Posts
And it's title is "Spark Plugs"

Like everyone is just firing off whatever thought crosses the synapse gap in their brains.. I wonder if we can tell who's gap is 0.030 vs. 0.045 :ROFLMAO: Followup question: If we can tell, then would we recommend that some need a re-gapping :)

Okay, I'll stop now, that's probably enough dad-jokeish puns for a Saturday morning. :p
I too wonder about the people on this forum. I'm tired of listening to so many random thoughts with NO ONE taking control of the forum. Stay on topic and stop showing lack of consideration for those of us trying to learn SOMETHING! PLEASE!!

21 - 40 of 64 Posts