Honda Fury Forums: banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Fury
352 Posts
hmmm...Let me try to address your concern without insulting anyone (like that can happen): Most of us on this forum are crotchety old bastards who can barely remember where we left our teeth, never mind the original intent of a post. Once posts get past page 2, you can likely give it up. It goes into the gutter, or off track. If you want tight control, join the government. Otherwise, hang on and take the good with the bad. Hedge has posted numerous times the philosophy behind some of the allowed rambling.
Again, I apologize if I offended. It was not my intent.

·
Registered
650 Posts
hmmm...Let me try to address your concern without insulting anyone (like that can happen): Most of us on this forum are crotchety old bastards who can barely remember where we left our teeth, never mind the original intent of a post. Once posts get past page 2, you can likely give it up. It goes into the gutter, or off track. If you want tight control, join the government. Otherwise, hang on and take the good with the bad. Hedge has posted numerous times the philosophy behind some of the allowed rambling.
Again, I apologize if I offended. It was not my intent.
I thoroughly understand YOUR philosophy: Most of us on this forum are crotchety old bastards who can barely remember where we left our teeth, never mind the original intent of a post. (I'm a CROTCHETY OLD BASTARD TOO!)

·
Administrator
3,953 Posts
I too wonder about the people on this forum. I'm tired of listening to so many random thoughts with NO ONE taking control of the forum. Stay on topic and stop showing lack of consideration for those of us trying to learn SOMETHING! PLEASE!!
From an Administrative Standpoint:

When a forum is new with thousands of active members: Yes, we would want threads to stay on-topic and staff would enforce that out of consideration for the community. Off-topic thoughts would of course fit into the Off-Topic section.

In this case the Fury motorcycle has had five unique parts get updates since the introduction 12 years ago; almost every question that can be asked can pretty much be answered using Search and doing some reading (without posting). Other than talking about "paint color" once a year, new topics about the Fury are a bit rare, which leaves "us" (the community) who love this bike and the friends we've made, and sharing that passion with new members.

--
From a Personal Standpoint:
I don't know if you've gone to a Goldwing forum, but man it's b-o-r-i-n-g. Very technical, very dry, even the 2020 update and 2021 revisions were painful to read (for me, your mileage may vary). I feel the Honda CB forums are mostly the same, though some of the rebuild threads are really interesting. The Honda NM4 Vultus forum died--I think it was folded into the Silverwing forum...

However, personal preference does not dictate administrative decisions. On that note we can thank @Night Fury for the time and effort he put in, behind the scenes his heart was really in this community and keeping things running smoothly. I wasn't here before his time so cannot comment further, other than to say the old posts are really good reading.

·
Administrator
3,953 Posts
'The Honda NM4 Vultus forum died--I think it was folded into the Silverwing forum' ... folded into the DN-01 forum. (I know ... on the DN-01 forum daily. I got one!)
I'd never seen a NM4 or DN-01 in the wild, and until you mentioned it I didn't know of the DN-01, and there are none of either at dealerships near me. Yesterday two DN-01 (his/hers) were in cross-traffic at an intersection. Unusual machines, especially next to each other.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'd never seen a MN4 or DN-01 in the wild, and until you mentioned it I didn't know of the DN-01, and there are none of either at dealerships near me. Yesterday two DN-01 (his/hers) were in cross-traffic at an intersection. Unusual machines, especially next to each other.
Yeah I saw my first DN-01 a few months ago. I had no idea they existed & the cognitive dissonance I went through looking at it was 11/10.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
I've never seen a DN-01 in the wild. In the dealer yes. I kind of like the looks. But I think the CVT would be a deal-breaker for me

Reactions: Gizmo and macxpert

·
Super Moderator
6,121 Posts
I had the chance to ride one as one of my workmates had one. During my short ride the CVT was doing my head in but the bike was really good and the combined ABS brakes worked really well. I think it would make an awesome commuter bike, especially if you end up in heavy traffic with no escape routes like we have in Sydney. I'd buy one if they weren't so darn expensive. We can only get used bikes as Honda stopped bringing them years ago and used they are selling for new prices.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
The traffic part is well taken. I leave the house at about 5:15 am, so I don't have traffic. Coming home is different, so I do surface streets, stay off the highway.

Honda would probably execute the CVT really well on a bike. But I have yet to drive a car with one that I like.

Reactions: Gizmo and macxpert

·
Registered
77 Posts
Honda would probably execute the CVT really well on a bike. But I have yet to drive a car with one that I like.
I rented a new Nissan with it some 10 yrs ago for a 7 hr drive with lots of hills & a big mountain range. Most diabolical creation I’d ever encountered. I also rent buggies with CVT on South Pacific islands & they are only 300cc yet much lighter obviously than a car .. it works quite ok on them

·
Registered
2010 Fury
352 Posts
DN-01 is NOT a CVT or a DCT!
I'm not saying their always right, but this is from Wiki...

"The DN-01 uses a continuously variable transmission, marketed by Honda as the Human Friendly Transmission, allowing either manual selection of a "gear" or automatic operation much like a CVT scooter, with continuously variable transmission ratios selected automatically by the system's controller for optimal performance"

if it's different, perhaps you could expound here and correct wikipedia.

since the spark plug thread has devolved into this (you are now encouraging this, @Gizmo - welcome to the group) I'll offer that Honda only made them for 2 years for a reason...all the styling of a BMW (blech) and half the power. Just my .02...no flaming necessary.

·
Super Moderator
6,121 Posts

"The DN-01 uses a continuously variable transmission, marketed by Honda as the Human Friendly Transmission, allowing either manual selection of a "gear" or automatic operation much like a CVT scooter, with continuously variable transmission ratios selected automatically by the system's controller for optimal performance"

since the spark plug thread has devolved into this (you are now encouraging this, @Gizmo - welcome to the group) I'll offer that Honda only made them for 2 years for a reason...all the styling of a BMW (blech) and half the power. Just my .02...no flaming necessary.
The styling is different but if you look at the CTX 1300 you can see where Honda was going with the DN-01. The riding experience is really quite good from my brief time on one. I think it would be a fun bike to own, I'd certainly consider one to ride to work but as I mentioned the price is way too high in Oz to buy one. If I found a good one for a reasonable price I'd be very tempted.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Motorcycle

·
Registered
650 Posts

Of course Wiki would consider it a CVT, they had NEVER seen ANTHING that works like it does. Besides, I was CORRECTING people's understanding/MISTAKE. Nuff said!

41 - 60 of 64 Posts