Honda Fury Forums: banner
61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Administrator
3,953 Posts
DN-01 is NOT a CVT or a DCT!
I guess you did finally get sucked into the off-topic abyss. :ROFLMAO:
Good for you, you're assimilating into one of 'us.' o_O

Looking it up, the DN-01 has a CVT with centrifugal hydraulic clutch. To me it looks like the predecessor to the Maxi-Scooter.

The NM4 has a DCT, though the early DCTs like in the NM4 were problematic to troubleshoot when something went wrong. The NM4 was a great idea, but under-powered and over-priced for what it was, with little storage space inside what appeared to be large compartments. If it broke it was often very difficult to repair. From what I gathered when investigating if I should buy one, many owners sold them out of frustration (if it takes everything the NM4 has just to keep up with a fully loaded stock Harley bagger, that's an issue). I did try to buy one at one point, but the owner had already dumped it at a low price. If Honda showed up at my doorstep with one it's not like I'd turn it down--I'd love to modify the heck out of one and make it look good, but chances are they're not showing up with one anytime soon. :(

I think Honda "did the right thing" throughout the whole process of the DN-01 and later NM4:
  • Build something radical.
  • Realize it was unfortunately never going to be more than a "mediocre" product.
  • Discontinue it.
  • Use what was learned to build a far better product.
Similarly, Honda seems to have "done the right thing" with the Fury:
  • Build something radical.
  • Realize it was not going to hit large sales volumes.
  • Recognize owners justifiably believe it's an incredible machine.
  • Keep building it, making Honda customers ecstatic.
  • Gain more customers when Fury owners share how great their motorcycle is.

·
Super Moderator
6,121 Posts
I feel it would not be suited to my tastes in motorcycles either. That said I’ve a lot of friends that think I’ve lost the plot riding a Fury
I don't think the average Aussie biker is all that well informed so they say dumb stuff about the Fury and choppers in general. I find I get on much better with the people I have met through this forum than any other group of bikers.

My oldest and closest friend who used to ride till he had a stroke asked me why I bought such a conservative bike. He then brought up my various projects chopping CB750s and said I should build something longer. Of course he was taking the piss out of me but he knows how much I love choppers and custom bikes.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts