Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in love with the look of the spike air filter. It is on my list. I have been reading and looking at so many things to do that I need to start keeping notes. In order to put on the air filter this way, is there anything else that needs to be done to the engine? Or can this just be put on and good to go?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,131 Posts
You need a fuel controller as after market air cleaners flow more air. Depending which spike you buy you can get one for a VTX 1300 and do some fab work yourself to make it fit or buy a 3 bolt HD spike and an adapter.

I went with a 3 bolt HD style spike and a Thunder MFG adapter. Thunder MFG are no longer around so that leaves Accutronix and L&M. The L&M adapter is fiberglass and as such it can't be chromed. The Accutronix comes with a throttle body cover but it's black. Neither option appeals to me as I chromed everything I could and the Thunder MFG adapter seemed superior to me and it came in chrome.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
If you decide you want to modify the VTX spike, I did this a few years back and ran it for a long while until I decided to switch this up again

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am in love with the look of the spike air filter. It is on my list. I have been reading and looking at so many things to do that I need to start keeping notes. In order to put on the air filter this way, is there anything else that needs to be done to the engine? Or can this just be put on and good to go?

Thanks
Be careful !! you're going to be like the rest of us clowns .... that buy a bike and then put 10 grand into it or more $$$

·
Administrator
3,967 Posts
As a note, the high-quality spikes will rip a motorcycle cover pretty easily unless the point is covered with a cloth (or something to blunt the point). Wind or an "I need coffee" morning can result in a really large tear.

Also, they're not fun to catch your leg on. (or any other body part, for that matter)
Hedgehog Erinaceidae Plant Domesticated hedgehog Rodent

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As a note, the high-quality spikes will rip a motorcycle cover pretty easily unless the point is covered with a cloth (or something to blunt the point). Wind or an "I need coffee" morning can result in a really large tear.

Also, they're not fun to catch your leg on. (or any other body part, for that matter)
View attachment 243087
I was wondering about the leg ripping part. If I come across another one, ill check out my leg position, I'm short so my legs are fairly straight to the pegs.

·
Administrator
3,967 Posts
I was wondering about the leg ripping part. If I come across another one, ill check out my leg position, I'm short so my legs are fairly straight to the pegs.
You'll be fine when riding, it's when you or someone else walk past it parked in a tight spot, or are in the garage on a rolling seat polishing / working on it--working on it is bad because of concentrating on three things not relating to you getting impaled.

Jean fabric can be sewn into most motorcycle covers, but it has to be a way bigger area than needed because "things happen."

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
To be honest, you may struggle with the spike air intake. I'm 6'1" and I had to "wrap" my leg around it to get to the peg. Not a bad deal for me, but it sticks out a fair amount. A shorter rider like yourself, it will just amplify that issue on this bike.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have the L&M adapter and spike. It does stick out a bit more than stock of course but it's not in the way of the leg to make the ride uncomfortable besides looks 1000% better than stock so the small sacrifice is well worth it!!

Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Tire Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I need to get a photo of me on the bike anyway but I don’t have much of a bend in my leg, I’ll see where my leg is in regards to where that spike will sit

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
it will be a little bit before I do it so I can check everything. I am having Vernon make me a braket that brings the pegs back 2" so that will be changing my leg position. Ill get photos to check where everything will fit

1 - 20 of 34 Posts