Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, rode my bike to Hattiesburg (approx 30 miles) at 75 mph at 8:30 am…..bike ran fine, no probs. Had set my fuggin controller back from 4 to 3 in mode 1 (mode for additional amount of fuel added under cruise conditions) and back from 6 to 5 in mode 3 (mode for additional amount of fuel added during full throttle conditions)….left mode 2 (mode for additional amount of fuel added under acceleration) set at 2.

Fuggin’s dyno settings for the fury with fuggin viper2’s for the first 3 modes is 4,2,6 – which is what I had the bike set at. I moved those back to see if I could get better gas mileage.

Anyway…..filled up bike again (overfilled to just beneath tank rim accidentally – gas lever stuck, then freed up and squirted more gas than I wanted) and went 1.2 miles to the staging area. Bike sat in sun for approx 3 hours…..temps were in upper 90’s and probably low 100’s on the asphalt. Got on bike, started it up to wait for procession to begin, idled fine for the approx 12 minute wait. Procession began, I got out of the parking lot and onto the road and the bike was starving for fuel….I’d crack the throttle and it would sound starved….spitted and sputtered and died. I, once again, have had to pull out of a procession because of this. I took the cap off, shook the bike, and other things, out of ignorance in trying to get the bike going….it would start fine, idle good at first, but as soon as you put it in gear and even began throttling, it would die. I finally pushed it to some shade, sat there for about an hour and let the engine cool completely. Fired it up and it ran fine….rode home because there was no way I could catch the procession. (Side note: There was a stock red fury there as well and he drove out of there fine)

This is 3 times this has happened.

Common variables for all three times:

1. Overfilled tank to near rim.
2. bike sat in high heat for hours

The first time this happened, I had not adjusted back the fuggin controller before. Also, I managed to keep it moving and the missing/starvation quit after about 10 minutes, then ran fine for the procession and the 4 hours to return home.

Common variables for last 2 times:

1. Overfilled tank to near rim
2. Bike sat in heat for hours
3. Had set controller back night before to get better mileage.
4. Had to wait in shade for engine to cool and ran fine after that

This is unacceptable. I haven't pulled the fuel pump to replace filter screen. Looked in the service manual last night and it looks like I'd have to remove the rear tire and shock just to get the pump out :( Unlike Richard, I don't have a jack stand.....wonder what it would cost me for the dealer to replace the fuel screen? Clueless????

Met a local dyno guy who said he could dyno my bike (this was before the above). Should I take it to him before I have anything done and have it dynoed? Or would that be pointless if the screen was partially clogged? Why would a clogged screen be an issue? Seems to me that if it were clogged, it would happen more than just when my bike was overfilled and sitting prolonged in the sun????

Guys/Gals, I need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any and all comments/suggestions/ideas would be welcome!

Thanks,
Bob

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
OK, rode my bike to Hattiesburg (approx 30 miles) at 75 mph at 8:30 am…..bike ran fine, no probs. Had set my fuggin controller back from 4 to 3 in mode 1 (mode for additional amount of fuel added under cruise conditions) and back from 6 to 5 in mode 3 (mode for additional amount of fuel added during full throttle conditions)….left mode 2 (mode for additional amount of fuel added under acceleration) set at 2.

Fuggin’s dyno settings for the fury with fuggin viper2’s for the first 3 modes is 4,2,6 – which is what I had the bike set at. I moved those back to see if I could get better gas mileage.

Anyway…..filled up bike again (overfilled to just beneath tank rim accidentally – gas lever stuck, then freed up and squirted more gas than I wanted) and went 1.2 miles to the staging area. Bike sat in sun for approx 3 hours…..temps were in upper 90’s and probably low 100’s on the asphalt. Got on bike, started it up to wait for procession to begin, idled fine for the approx 12 minute wait. Procession began, I got out of the parking lot and onto the road and the bike was starving for fuel….I’d crack the throttle and it would sound starved….spitted and sputtered and died. I, once again, have had to pull out of a procession because of this. I took the cap off, shook the bike, and other things, out of ignorance in trying to get the bike going….it would start fine, idle good at first, but as soon as you put it in gear and even began throttling, it would die. I finally pushed it to some shade, sat there for about an hour and let the engine cool completely. Fired it up and it ran fine….rode home because there was no way I could catch the procession. (Side note: There was a stock red fury there as well and he drove out of there fine)

This is 3 times this has happened.

Common variables for all three times:

1. Overfilled tank to near rim.
2. bike sat in high heat for hours

The first time this happened, I had not adjusted back the fuggin controller before. Also, I managed to keep it moving and the missing/starvation quit after about 10 minutes, then ran fine for the procession and the 4 hours to return home.

Common variables for last 2 times:

1. Overfilled tank to near rim
2. Bike sat in heat for hours
3. Had set controller back night before to get better mileage.
4. Had to wait in shade for engine to cool and ran fine after that

This is unacceptable. I haven't pulled the fuel pump to replace filter screen. Looked in the service manual last night and it looks like I'd have to remove the rear tire and shock just to get the pump out :( Unlike Richard, I don't have a jack stand.....wonder what it would cost me for the dealer to replace the fuel screen? Clueless????

Met a local dyno guy who said he could dyno my bike (this was before the above). Should I take it to him before I have anything done and have it dynoed? Or would that be pointless if the screen was partially clogged? Why would a clogged screen be an issue? Seems to me that if it were clogged, it would happen more than just when my bike was overfilled and sitting prolonged in the sun????

Guys/Gals, I need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any and all comments/suggestions/ideas would be welcome!

Thanks,
Bob
if it runs fine and no probs before you (adjust) for better gas mileage. don't adjust it anymore. your only maybe gaining a couple few miles per gallon right?

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if it runs fine and no probs before you (adjust) for better gas mileage. don't adjust it anymore. your only maybe gaining a couple few miles per gallon right?
Mike,

I'm not convinced that is the issue, but it could be.....although I did adjust it back to the 4-2-6 while it was cooling.......seems to me that I would have experienced probs on the way to the rides since I'd adjusted the controller back the night before each of the last two.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, can anyone explain to me how our gas tank works in respect to the collar....the tank is double skinned, correct? Is there some sort of air flow issue if too full and too hot? I've had my bike sit all last summer in our work parking lot in the sun and never had an issue, but I don't know if I ever filled it too full ..........

I'm thinking the fuel pump filter screen could have some blockage, but not sure? It idles fine, even when having this problem, until the engine ran for a while.

If it is a vapor lock, how do I get the danged thing cleared? I don't know much about this efi and electronic control stuff (I'm old school - fine with carbs, needle vavles, points and condensers, etc)....I know when you turn the key on it is supposed to charge the fuel pump, is it not?

·
Registered
12,351 Posts
Wish I could offer help, but all I have is a question. You say you have a "fuggin controller". I thought you had a Cobra Fi2000r. Was that just a typo? Does Fuggin make controllers? If that's what you have, throw it away and buy a Cobra.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have read in other posts that guys have had the same kind of problem when they over fill the gas tank. I believe it has something to do with the tank venting. It is not doing that properly when over filled and more than likely causing to much of a vacuum in the tank which may be starving the the engine. by letting it sit for a while you are probably giving it time to relieve some of that and it will once again run until you use enough gas to get below the neck and then it it will run the rest of the tank out fine. You stated that you had overfilled the tank each time this happened so I would be very careful to not overfill your tank, especially if you are going to be idling for a while right after filling.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wish I could offer help, but all I have is a question. You say you have a "fuggin controller". I thought you had a Cobra Fi2000r. Was that just a typo? Does Fuggin make controllers? If that's what you have, throw it away and buy a Cobra.
Yeah, it's a fuggin, if I'm not mistaken, it was made for them by Dobeck.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have read in other posts that guys have had the same kind of problem when they over fill the gas tank. I believe it has something to do with the tank venting. It is not doing that properly when over filled and more than likely causing to much of a vacuum in the tank which may be starving the the engine. by letting it sit for a while you are probably giving it time to relieve some of that and it will once again run until you use enough gas to get below the neck and then it it will run the rest of the tank out fine. You stated that you had overfilled the tank each time this happened so I would be very careful to not overfill your tank, especially if you are going to be idling for a while right after filling.
I'm suspecting the tank overfilling as being part of the problem, but I just don't know how the dang tank vents....hoping someone can explain it to me. The overfills on the last two occasions were accidental.....I wanted to leave some room, but the gas nozzle lever stuck and when it freed, it shot more gas than I wanted.....I'll have to compensate for that in the future......I sure appreciate your input and hope others can chime in and help.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Yeah, it's a fuggin, if I'm not mistaken, it was made for them by Dobeck.
Bob mine is a Fuggin too and I have never had a problem (knock on wood). I think it all due to overfilling. Don't do that anymore, especially in the heat just setting the gas will actually grow.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bob mine is a Fuggin too and I have never had a problem (knock on wood). I think it all due to overfilling. Don't do that anymore, especially in the heat just setting the gas will actually grow.
Dragboat, I appreciate the info......if I may ask, what are your settings now? Mine are 4 2 6 and whatever the preset ones are for the last three modules. My bike is running rich, yet my fuggin pipes blued......

If I get it dyno'd, what gear should I have them do it in? The guy I talked to said they do it in 4th, but seems to me that it would be better to do it in 5th....anyone????

·
Premium Member
13,704 Posts
Bob are you fillen the tank on the kickstand or standing upright.
?

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bob are you fillen the tank on the kickstand or standing upright.
?
Bill, always fill it standing upright.....normally fill it to the bottom of the collar, but that day the funeral procession was going over 90 miles and I was trying to squeeze in a little more gas (bout half way up the collar) to go the extra distance (my light comes on at about 91 miles) and the nozzle lever just caught then released more gas than I wanted.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BTW Bill, I'd gotten some seafoam as you recommended and put all but 3 ounces in my car and put the remaining 3 ounces in an old lucas bottle so to carry with me when I went to put gas in. Put the bottle on the kitchen table and told my wife and daughter not to throw it away as I was going to use it the next day. Came home from work and bottle was gone....and they say I don't listen!!!!!!:rolleyes::(

·
Registered
252 Posts
check the vent hoses for kinks i had the same issues , went as far as pulling pump and checking the screen , turns out is was a KINKED HOSE :)

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
check the vent hoses for kinks i had the same issues , went as far as pulling pump and checking the screen , turns out is was a KINKED HOSE :)
Where are they? Is it the breather tube attached to the bottom of the stock air filter assy? I have an S&S on mine now....if that's it, I'll check to see how the hose runs......is that the hose you are talking about? Or are there other hoses?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not sure if this will help eliminate variables for you but:
1. I fill the tank with the bike on the kickstand,
2. My bike sits in the sun, 98-100 degrees all day,
3. I have overfilled a few times (on the kickstand),
4. I am running a Cobra Fi2000r,

I’ve never had an issue,
Could my filling on the kick stand leave enough room for the tank to vent? Like a default mechanism?

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I’ve never had an issue,
Could my filling on the kick stand leave enough room for the tank to vent? Like a default mechanism?
Hmmmm....could be a default......we need a poll to see how people fill up their bikes.....upright, or on kickstand......

·
Registered
12,351 Posts

I’ve never had an issue,
Hmmmm....could be a default......we need a poll to see how people fill up their bikes.....upright, or on kickstand......
I have the Cobra FC and I fill up on the kickstand, always, and 50% of the time I fill up into the neck and never had a problem.

I don't wanna' talk bad about anyone's fuel controller, but if you ever have a little extra money......maybe think about getting a Cobra....??.... Just a suggestion as I've never had any issues whatsoever. I know a couple on here have said they have problems with it getting wet, but I've ridden in a couple of downpours and spray my bike with a fairly powerful nozzle and again, no issues.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Woodenhorse;

I'm by no means certain what your problem is; I've never had ANY fuel problems with my Fury. A kinked vent-line is the first thing that came to my mind, but that's just a guess. I have the Cobra F/C and have NO experience with the Fuggin, but before I headed-in for some some expensive dyno runs, I would change to a Cobra F/C. Dyno runs will not solve a kinked vent-line problem OR a malfunctioning F/C problem, and for the cost of the dyno runs, you could buy a Cobra F/C.

Wish I could be more helpful, but thats all that comes to mind.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 67 Posts