Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

If this has been covered definitively already, I apologize for duplicating but I wanted to share my experience as my searches on this forum regarding this turned up some very old threads with mixed opinions about the true cause of the issues. Lots of great advice throughout by many participants, but I felt unsure when the options on the table were between a $150 battery or a $300 starter.

Here's my experience:

I picked up my 2011 Fury in the summer (July) of 2012 here in the DFW Texas area, where it had been sitting on the showroom floor for almost a full year with the OEM original battery. I can't speak to the usage during it's showroom floor time, but I imagine it was rarely started if at all. During my first year of ownership, I experienced the difficult hot-start issue where the starter would engage, seem to stall for a second, reset the speedo and clock, then finally turn over and start. During that time, the forum here was still undecided as to the cause of this issue, so I opted to 'just live with it' until a later date.

On November 25th of 2013, I purchased a Deltran Battery Tender Plus (model 021-0128) from Amazon as I had started noticing that even cold-start was starting to get sluggish for the initial crank. This was done with the mindset that the battery was a few years old and getting weaker to the point that cooler weather cold-starts were becoming questionable. From this point going forward, every time I parked the Fury in the garage, it immediately went on the tender for any charging and ongoing maintaining. After using the tender, I noticed that cold-start was better, but had no noticeable impact to the hot-start slow cranking. I went though another Texas summer in this setup (original OEM battery + Battery Tender/Maintainer) and had no improvement to the hot-start issue. Slowly over the course of the following winter I noticed that even cold-starts after immediately disconnecting the Tender/Maintainer were becoming sluggish and eventually they started resetting the speedo and clock. At first I thought this was due to the cooler ambient temps coupled with the age of the battery, but as the weather warmed up through spring the sluggishness of a cold-start continued to get worse until it reached the point where I wasn't confident that the starter would even turn the motor over.

On June 6th of 2015, I finally purchased a new starter online (Honda part number 31200-MFR-671) from Western Honda Parts for $294.23 ($306.23 shipped). On a side note, this was one of the better prices I could find, and the transaction was smooth with good shipping time. After installing the new starter, I immediately noticed that the cold-start after unplugging the Tender/Maintainer was snappy, as if the bike/battery was brand new. Subsequent repeated starts were just as quick and snappy despite not allowing time for the battery to recover from the previous starts. A few days later I was able to test the hot-start scenario, and am pleased to report that they were also quick, without any apparent 'loading' on the starter, and no resets of the speedo and clock.

At this point, I am 99% confident that my issues with slow starts from day one are due to the original starter and wanted to post here with my experience and findings as it may help others that are experiencing similar issues. In my search on these forums I found many threads talking about this issue, but all of them seemed to have numerous folks chiming in with both "It's the starter" and "It's the battery" to the point that the actual solution wasn't definitive.

Bottom line is that I still have the original OEM battery from 2011 and the starting issues I've had since purchasing the bike in 2012 as well as those that showed up over time are all now gone with the replacement of the starter. With continued used of my Tender/Maintainer, I'm hoping to get several more years out of my original battery now that my starting issues have been solved.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Man, I was really hoping it was the battery. So they sold us a shit starter, huh? I've been dealing with this for so many years now. I'm pretty sick of it.

My battery is six years old so I'm going to need to replace it anyway. If I still have the same problem, I'll know what to do.

Thanks for your post and glad you have that annoying starting problem behind you.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@460brevill, you're absolutely correct. Those tests are definitely good to do. Some places will charge for them, but others won't, but the important factor is to get it done from an honest place and from someone who is capable of correctly interpreting the results.

@Dave, it has been a while! Been lurking here from time to time, but honestly have been so busy with work and family, I haven't had much time to post/contribute here. I do miss it! Got on here a few weeks back to see about the possibility of finding some MFR pipes... didn't know that he's been out of the game for a while now....

Life has been good lately, gotta say. I'm a lucky guy!

@Steveo, I don't know if they sold us a crap starter originally, but one of the points that made me lean towards replacing the starter vs. the battery in my situation is that Honda released an updated part number for the starter. That usually comes from one of two things, either updating the design, or in rare cases, a change in who Honda sources the manufacturing of the part from (but usually this doesn't result in a part number change). I figured it was more likely due to a design change, possibly meant to resolve a known issue about starting. If that's the case, it's sneaky on Honda's part, but certainly not uncommon in the automotive world. I will say, making this one minor replacement on my Fury has made the overall riding experience much more enjoyable now that I don't have any lingering worry about being temporarily stranded after a quick stop...

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
All,

If this has been covered definitively already, I apologize for duplicating but I wanted to share my experience as my searches on this forum regarding this turned up some very old threads with mixed opinions about the true cause of the issues. Lots of great advice throughout by many participants, but I felt unsure when the options on the table were between a $150 battery or a $300 starter.

Here's my experience:

I picked up my 2011 Fury in the summer (July) of 2012 here in the DFW Texas area, where it had been sitting on the showroom floor for almost a full year with the OEM original battery. I can't speak to the usage during it's showroom floor time, but I imagine it was rarely started if at all. During my first year of ownership, I experienced the difficult hot-start issue where the starter would engage, seem to stall for a second, reset the speedo and clock, then finally turn over and start. During that time, the forum here was still undecided as to the cause of this issue, so I opted to 'just live with it' until a later date.

On November 25th of 2013, I purchased a Deltran Battery Tender Plus (model 021-0128) from Amazon as I had started noticing that even cold-start was starting to get sluggish for the initial crank. This was done with the mindset that the battery was a few years old and getting weaker to the point that cooler weather cold-starts were becoming questionable. From this point going forward, every time I parked the Fury in the garage, it immediately went on the tender for any charging and ongoing maintaining. After using the tender, I noticed that cold-start was better, but had no noticeable impact to the hot-start slow cranking. I went though another Texas summer in this setup (original OEM battery + Battery Tender/Maintainer) and had no improvement to the hot-start issue. Slowly over the course of the following winter I noticed that even cold-starts after immediately disconnecting the Tender/Maintainer were becoming sluggish and eventually they started resetting the speedo and clock. At first I thought this was due to the cooler ambient temps coupled with the age of the battery, but as the weather warmed up through spring the sluggishness of a cold-start continued to get worse until it reached the point where I wasn't confident that the starter would even turn the motor over.

On June 6th of 2015, I finally purchased a new starter online (Honda part number 31200-MFR-671) from Western Honda Parts for $294.23 ($306.23 shipped). On a side note, this was one of the better prices I could find, and the transaction was smooth with good shipping time. After installing the new starter, I immediately noticed that the cold-start after unplugging the Tender/Maintainer was snappy, as if the bike/battery was brand new. Subsequent repeated starts were just as quick and snappy despite not allowing time for the battery to recover from the previous starts. A few days later I was able to test the hot-start scenario, and am pleased to report that they were also quick, without any apparent 'loading' on the starter, and no resets of the speedo and clock.

At this point, I am 99% confident that my issues with slow starts from day one are due to the original starter and wanted to post here with my experience and findings as it may help others that are experiencing similar issues. In my search on these forums I found many threads talking about this issue, but all of them seemed to have numerous folks chiming in with both "It's the starter" and "It's the battery" to the point that the actual solution wasn't definitive.

Bottom line is that I still have the original OEM battery from 2011 and the starting issues I've had since purchasing the bike in 2012 as well as those that showed up over time are all now gone with the replacement of the starter. With continued used of my Tender/Maintainer, I'm hoping to get several more years out of my original battery now that my starting issues have been solved.

I hope this helps!

Gidday MB,

I'm glad I found this post. I have had the same problem since the bike was new. I'm just sorry I didn't do anything about it while the bike was still under warranty (as Fury parts are not cheap here in Oz). My fault for just putting up with it at the time! Yep, I replaced the battery thinking that may have been the issue - but no! Do you know if anyone has asked Honda about this issue (which now seems to be fairly common)?

Cheers.

Gary

Just checked our local price for a starter motor!!!! $774.10!!!!!!

Gary

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gidday MB,

I'm glad I found this post. I have had the same problem since the bike was new. I'm just sorry I didn't do anything about it while the bike was still under warranty (as Fury parts are not cheap here in Oz). My fault for just putting up with it at the time! Yep, I replaced the battery thinking that may have been the issue - but no! Do you know if anyone has asked Honda about this issue (which now seems to be fairly common)?

Cheers.

Gary

Just checked our local price for a starter motor!!!! $774.10!!!!!!

Gary
Glad to have helped out. I know there was a member here that went as far as to tear down his starter, inspect all the internal workings and found that there was some small amounts of oil that had found it's way past the o-rings on the starter snout and made it's way onto the windings of the starter.. If I recall (but I could also be completely wrong), a good thorough cleaning, replacement of the brushes, and reassembly had a positive improvement for him. Due to the high cost of parts in your part of the world, you might be best suited to find a good mechanic that knows how to properly rebuild a starter (generally it's the guys that have been in the business for many decades before parts became disposable). You may still have to pay for some parts (brushes) as well as his labor, but it may be a more affordable alternative for you.

To follow up on my original post, I feel that I should include the fact that my original OEM battery did not last through the winter into 2016. Never had any further hot-start problems with it, however it's last dying symptoms was a complete inability to start the bike immediately after removal from the battery tender.... I replaced it with a Yuasa YTZ14S from Amazon in Jan of 2016. Still have yet to see any hot-start problems and do not expect to.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Glad to have helped out. I know there was a member here that went as far as to tear down his starter, inspect all the internal workings and found that there was some small amounts of oil that had found it's way past the o-rings on the starter snout and made it's way onto the windings of the starter.. If I recall (but I could also be completely wrong), a good thorough cleaning, replacement of the brushes, and reassembly had a positive improvement for him. Due to the high cost of parts in your part of the world, you might be best suited to find a good mechanic that knows how to properly rebuild a starter (generally it's the guys that have been in the business for many decades before parts became disposable). You may still have to pay for some parts (brushes) as well as his labor, but it may be a more affordable alternative for you.

To follow up on my original post, I feel that I should include the fact that my original OEM battery did not last through the winter into 2016. Never had any further hot-start problems with it, however it's last dying symptoms was a complete inability to start the bike immediately after removal from the battery tender.... I replaced it with a Yuasa YTZ14S from Amazon in Jan of 2016. Still have yet to see any hot-start problems and do not expect to.
Thanks for that. I have just put the case to Honda Australia and am waiting for them to come back with an answer. If they can't help then I will be looking at a recondition job. I hope the new battery works for you. I have tried 2 new batteries and they didn't help. The forum has been undecided on this issue since starting. Battery vs Starter?

Cheers

Gary

·
Septuagenarian Rider
4,151 Posts
The forum has been undecided on this issue since starting. Battery vs Starter?
If you add up all the posts on this subject a reasonable conclusion could be that it's a failing battery that damages the starter. As the engine stops cranking, every second the starter button is held down melts the winding lacquer and permanently weakens the starter.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
If you add up all the posts on this subject a reasonable conclusion could be that it's a failing battery that damages the starter. As the engine stops cranking, every second the starter button is held down melts the winding lacquer and permanently weakens the starter.
A fair assumption... however.... My bike has always started immediately (no need to hold the button down), except sometimes when very hot. When it's hot and wants to play up, then it only "clicks" (doesn't turn over) until it feels like playing the game. Then it starts straight away. The only time that the starter motor has had to turn over for more than half a second was at Christmas when we had to put a jumper on it to clear the fuel lines.

·
Septuagenarian Rider
4,151 Posts
A fair assumption... however.... My bike has always started immediately (no need to hold the button down), except sometimes when very hot. When it's hot and wants to play up, then it only "clicks" (doesn't turn over) until it feels like playing the game. Then it starts straight away. The only time that the starter motor has had to turn over for more than half a second was at Christmas when we had to put a jumper on it to clear the fuel lines.
Clearly you have a bad connection somewhere which includes the starter relay mentioned previously. "Clicks" are not a bad starter symptom.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Speaking as a licensed mechanic I would say "get a second opinion"!
Good suggestion. We have another Honda dealer not too far away (although I'm not too sure if Honda know much about this issue). Might try them, or even chat with an auto electrician. However I am concerned that the test on the starter showed a "REPAIR" result.

·
Septuagenarian Rider
4,151 Posts
However I am concerned that the test on the starter showed a "REPAIR" result.
All I saw was a voltage reading of a weak battery under cranking duress.
I would test the starter for current draw with a fully charged battery, warm (not hot) engine and the FI fuse removed. Then compare that value to a know good Fury/starter/battery combo.

Unfortunately I can't find that spec my the Honda Fury Service Manual :(

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All,

Here's my experience:

I hope this helps!

So, years later dredging up an ancient thread... just wanted to add some experience over time...

As you may be able to piece together from the above thread.... I had the 'hot start' problem almost from day one. I did buy the bike in July of '12 as a 'still in the box 2011', and due to the initial blow-your-mind-awesomeness of the fury on delivery, really didn't take 'note' of the hot start issue until mid-august of 2012 ("huh, my new bike ain't as bad-ass as I'd originally thought, WTF. ")

Enter experience in this original post:..

To add... I ended up buying a brand new battery in December of 2015. 6 months after picking up the new starter... lots of people would say it was the battery all along, and not the starter at that point!!! and when I did that, I thought the same too.....

so... here I am 4.5 years later saying that since buying that battery and regularly maintaining it on the deltran battery charger... I just now had to replace it. The battery, not the starter, or the charger. I also feel this is 'normal' for a lead acid battery lifespan in Texas heat. During it's life, never once did I have a 'hot start' failure nor even a whisper of an attempt to even think about a hot start issue. 100% reliable. Just some food for thought...

·
Registered
23 Posts
So, years later dredging up an ancient thread... just wanted to add some experience over time...

As you may be able to piece together from the above thread.... I had the 'hot start' problem almost from day one. I did buy the bike in July of '12 as a 'still in the box 2011', and due to the initial blow-your-mind-awesomeness of the fury on delivery, really didn't take 'note' of the hot start issue until mid-august of 2012 ("huh, my new bike ain't as bad-ass as I'd originally thought, WTF. ")

Enter experience in this original post:..

To add... I ended up buying a brand new battery in December of 2015. 6 months after picking up the new starter... lots of people would say it was the battery all along, and not the starter at that point!!! and when I did that, I thought the same too.....

so... here I am 4.5 years later saying that since buying that battery and regularly maintaining it on the deltran battery charger... I just now had to replace it. The battery, not the starter, or the charger. I also feel this is 'normal' for a lead acid battery lifespan in Texas heat. During it's life, never once did I have a 'hot start' failure nor even a whisper of an attempt to even think about a hot start issue. 100% reliable. Just some food for thought...

I had the same problem after riding or stopped for gas.... it just clicked with no turn over.
Had to wait for cool down.....
After reading about results on Earth X battery.... I purchased one.
Bike started up immediately.... first press of starter.

Bike was stolen and recovered missing the battery.....
Bought another Earth X..... and bike is running and staring perfectly.
The lady at Earth X can't remember her name knew about my previous purchase and gave me a discount on the second purchase.
I ride about once a month.... no battery tender ever used on this bike.... bike still starts instantly on first press of starter button.
Amazing battery.... get one.... you'll be 😁 happy 😊

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had the same problem after riding or stopped for gas.... it just clicked with no turn over.
Had to wait for cool down.....
After reading about results on Earth X battery.... I purchased one.
Bike started up immediately.... first press of starter.

Bike was stolen and recovered missing the battery.....
Bought another Earth X..... and bike is running and staring perfectly.
The lady at Earth X can't remember her name knew about my previous purchase and gave me a discount on the second purchase.
I ride about once a month.... no battery tender ever used on this bike.... bike still starts instantly on first press of starter button.
Amazing battery.... get one.... you'll be 😁 happy 😊
Thanks for the advice

1 - 20 of 21 Posts