Honda Fury Forums: banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I got a Shorai lithium battery last week. Earth x was $500. Shorai was $322 (Canadian $) at BC Performance and had great reviews. So I got it. No more hot start problems now, at all. 285 CCA. Super light and small. Highly recommended.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The more and more I think about this whole issue, I wonder if both pathways solve the issue. I'm not an electrical engineer, and know barely enough just to keep me from electrocuting myself in most cases (not all). the curiosity in me wonders the following:

Why does a replacement starter seem to resolve this issue with the same battery present where the issue exists
Why does a replacement battery seem to resolve this issue with the same starter present where the issue exists

Would replacing BOTH result in super power starting capability?

Any EE majors in here able to provide some knowledge?

Why are we afraid of each other with the 'rona floatin around?

·
Registered
6,130 Posts
The more and more I think about this whole issue, I wonder if both pathways solve the issue. I'm not an electrical engineer, and know barely enough just to keep me from electrocuting myself in most cases (not all). the curiosity in me wonders the following:

Why does a replacement starter seem to resolve this issue with the same battery present where the issue exists
Why does a replacement battery seem to resolve this issue with the same starter present where the issue exists

Usually when people have the hot start/no start issue they continue to hold the starter button down which causes the internal windings in the starter to get hot and damages the insulation on the windings which further exacerbates the starting problem.

A new starter will work off an old battery better than an old/damaged starter will and an old damaged starter will work off of a new/bigger battery better than off the old dieing battery.

So to answer your question, Yes, replacing both would be the ideal scenario for best performance.

For the record I am certainly not an EE but my Grandfather was an electrician in the Navy for 20 years and taught me everything I know, he just didn't teach me everything he knew.... lol

As for your last question... it's probably because the media wants us to think that a new case = a new death, but that is simply not so. It's an election year so we shouldn't be surprised.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

I can echo what Ken said. In any failing circuit, if you replace part of it with new, you improve the performance of the entire circuit. Unless part has completely failed, then you are forced to replace that component IE: overheated and melted starter or a battery with a dead cell. You improve the circuit with replacement of the part that has experienced degradation. So like Ken said, best case if replacing BOTH suspect components. Since there is no definitive agreement that one part or the other is the actual bad actor in the stated scenario.

I'm not an EE. I studied it, didn't get my degree in it. I have just worked and troubleshot on high voltage specialized manufacturing equipment for the last 15 years.

For me, if you aren't stupid, I'm not afraid of you over covid. I AM afraid of people that think they know more about viral transmission vectors that people highly educated and experienced in it. They are demonstrably stupid, and I don't associate with the willfully dumb.

Reactions: Gizmo and boatwire
21 - 24 of 24 Posts