Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this hurt the motor,tranny.clutch. etc. in any way? There was an old post about 1st gear being governed to 40mph, and RSS told the poster he could just start out in 2nd gear. Is this OK to do? Thanks...

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Does this hurt the motor,tranny.clutch. etc. in any way? There was an old post about 1st gear being governed to 40mph, and RSS told the poster he could just start out in 2nd gear. Is this OK to do? Thanks...
Why ??? ...................

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know! Can't sleep and was browsing the FAQ posts and saw this one. For some reason caught my interest when RSS told the poster he could start ou in 2nd gear. Have you left for NC yet?

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
You can do it, asfar as hurting the motor/clutch I would be concerned. I think RSS was stating that because you wouldnt have to shift for a while then. Your clutch is nothing more than a friction plate which can only take a certain amount of drag in its life and with that your letting it drag while slowly letting the clutch out to build up speed. With the motor if you let the clutch out too far your loading the heck outa the crank putting it under alot of strain.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good answer and one that I actually understand. Thanks. Maybe now I can go to sleep! Merry Christmas everyone. We may actually have a white Christmas in NC.....

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
You can do it, asfar as hurting the motor/clutch I would be concerned. I think RSS was stating that because you wouldnt have to shift for a while then. Your clutch is nothing more than a friction plate which can only take a certain amount of drag in its life and with that your letting it drag while slowly letting the clutch out to build up speed. With the motor if you let the clutch out too far your loading the heck outa the crank putting it under alot of strain.
Correct, I was stating this because people were complaining about the low rev limiter in first gear getting onto the highway. I don't recommend it, but it is just another way to say hey, you do have options besides complaining about having to shift gears to quickly. Thanks bro...

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
just like anything with a clutch, you can start it off in a higher gear if you feather the throttle and come off the clutch gradually. I have done it on the bike once, cause i was a newb.

I used to do it all the time in the rig i was driving at my last job. If my trailer was empty i would start off in 3rd or 4th gear with no problems. Less shifting.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Anytime you're "slipping" the clutch, you're heating-up and wearing the friction discs unneccessarily. If done repeatedly, the friction pads will glaze and harden, leading to premature clutch failure, i.e., it'll slip when you don't want it to. The only time the clutch is not wearing is when it is fully engaged. FWIW...................

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
starting in second will cause extra friction / wear and tear but yeah you can do it even though it isn't exactly something that is logical to do on purpose.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
starting in second will cause extra friction / wear and tear but yeah you can do it even though it isn't exactly something that is logical to do on purpose.
Anytime you're "slipping" the clutch, you're heating-up and wearing the friction discs unneccessarily. If done repeatedly, the friction pads will glaze and harden, leading to premature clutch failure, i.e., it'll slip when you don't want it to. The only time the clutch is not wearing is when it is fully engaged. FWIW...................

Cheers
Correct, this is why I was stating this fact, only for those that "were complaining about the rev limiter". Was just simply stating that they could start off in second gear. I could put a caution in the FAQ or even revisit that thread if I can find it, to state that this will cause extra wear, so only use when needed... or something like that. Might make it easier on the person reading it to understand the consequences.

UPDATE: Okay, I made an entry in the FAQ, sometimes I really hate that thing:

Q: Can I or is it a good idea to start in 2nd gear when trying to get up to highway speed?

A: No, it is not necessarily a good idea to start off in 2nd gear, but it is sometimes necessary. Also, some people will like to start off in 2nd gear because of the rev limiter at 40 mph, but here is the caution: ** Starting in second will cause extra friction/wear and tear, this will also cause the pads to heat-up and wearing the friction discs unneccessarily and will lead to premature clutch failure. This should only be used sparingly and should only be thought of as a suggestion for those that do not like the low rev limiter in first gear.**

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
As an interesting (or maybe not) aside, back in the days when I was still in the business, you could always tell if a guy was a "clutch rider" (slipped the clutch a lot): when you changed his oil, it would have a particular acrid, burnt smell to it. You knew he'd be back at some point, needing a new clutch. I'm sure that Clueless can attest that things haven't changed much in the interim. FWIW.....................

Cheers

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
I've done this before by accident, not realizing I had stopped and was still in 2nd while next to a car full of hotties checking out the bike, then lurch, buck, stall. Very embarrassing!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Im willing to bet that i can get Jet started in 3rd. Any takers?
I'm willing to bet that you can get "Jet-Started" in 5th; you just won't have any clutch left when it's all over. LOL.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
People really don't think 40mph is enough in first gear? Is it to hard to shift or something? This makes no sense to me since your going to shift to 5th gear any way.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I personally think everyone should start in 5th. then you dont have to ever shift.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Sounds like a few need to switch bikes and get something with an automatic then they want have to worry about shifting.
I bought my wife a Scoopy just for that reason and she loves it. You can also get cool floor board mats for the mods.

well I going to attach a few photos of it but can't get it to work

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Better yet!!
How about you buy a car?
Probably an automatic!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts