Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been keeping an eye on my battery and the clod start cranking tests are quite interesting. We can clearly see that the battery is only just adequate. It's interesting to note that all the hard starts are longer than one second in duration. This weekend I plan to hook my compact jump starter up and do a cold start to see what sort of voltage drop I get with the battery and the "booster".

Normal Start

Hard Start

Normal Start

Hard Start

Normal Start

Attachments

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
I have been keeping an eye on my battery and the clod start cranking tests are quite interesting. We can clearly see that the battery is only just adequate. It's interesting to note that all the hard starts are longer than one second in duration. This weekend I plan to hook my compact jump starter up and do a cold start to see what sort of voltage drop I get with the battery and the "booster".

Normal Start

Hard Start

Normal Start

Hard Start

Normal Start
Please refresh my memory, but your battery is not that old is it???

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Since the OEM battery is 230 CCA, I'm going to guess the normal Fury draw is around 100A. Because batteries age and put out less current, let's double the output of a new 36C to 200A and check the voltage.

EarthX 36C Result: 13.5V after 15 seconds, while still under a 200A load.

Resting voltage of a AGM cell: 12.8 to 12.9V

Conclusion: The EarthX 36C puts out more voltage while under a 200A load than the OEM battery puts out under no load.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a really hard cold start this morning, the worst I've had since I've been monitoring the battery state. Didn't get time over the weekend to do a test with the "booster" however here is the pic from today.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As expected when a compact jump starter is connected to the Fury there is enough power available to start the bike right up. The picture below shows how much difference a large enough battery makes. Again this was a cold start. I think these results put to rest the debate over the battery size in the Fury. Clearly the factory battery is marginal.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Love to see one of these Bluetooth monitors on an Earth-X 36C.

Buy a similar one in the US from Amazon: www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Battery-Monitor-Voltage-Wireless/dp/B074ZCM6YC

OK, it will be here Monday and installed tuesday.

EarthX has some old/new models recommended for the Fury.
ETX24C/2.6 LB/270 CCA/$259 &
ETZ14C/2.5 LB/330 CCA/ $249: Snowmobile/ Cold weather model.
Both 5.9L X 3.4W X 4.5H

ETX36C/3.9 LB/320 CCA/$349 is the model first suggested on this forum and the one I will install monitor on.
5.9L X 3.4W X 4.5H: This is the correct size for our battery box.

Mine was load tested by my mechanic at a bike check-up before a long road trip and he came back with an amazed look on his face and exclaiming "that's a strong battery!"

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
OK, it will be here Monday and installed tuesday.

EarthX has some old/new models recommended for the Fury.
ETX24C/2.6 LB/270 CCA/$260 &
ETZ14C/2.5 LB/330 CCA/ $250: Snowmobile/ Cold weather model.
Both 5.9L X 3.4W X 4.5 H

ETX36D/3.9 LB/320 CCA/$350 is the model first suggested on this forum and the one I will install monitor on.
6.9L X 3.4W X 6.1 H: This is the correct size for our battery box.

Mine was load tested by my mechanic at a bike check-up before a long road trip and he came back with an amazed look on his face and exclaiming "that's a strong battery!"
I believe it is the ETX36 "C" if I'm not mistaken... if I am mistaken then you can simply ignore this post... lol

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
OK you computer whizzes out there. How do I take screen shots of my phone view of this battery monitor app?

·
Septuagenarian Rider
4,151 Posts
Every phone is different

Ask your phone assistant (Google, Siri, Bixby etc.) for instructions on your specific make and model of your phone.
Some phones have more than one way to do a screenshot. Then you have to find the photo which may be (Android) in a folder called DCIM: Screeshots. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
1 - 20 of 81 Posts