Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a lot of people looking for more distance out of their Fury, there's been discussions of gas mileage, altering the tank, designing a reserve tank to sit underneath, etc.

I wonder if anyone could get their hands on a Stateline tank to see if it would closely "plug and play"?

The Stateline has a 4.4 gallon tank ... which would get us over 200 miles between fill-ups.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
That is a good question... I am heading to the dealer on Monday and I will see what they say about that. If I am lucky they will be putting a tank on one and maybe I can get them to try it out and see if so. Will let you all know what I find out.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
a potential alternative is to get the fuel tube

Tool Tube Packages, Mega Tube, Fuel Bottle, Dual Sport Tool Roll Packages

holds additional fuel and can extend range when you are out and about. IMO I think stateline tank would take away from the fury looks.
Too bad not offered in chrome.

As for the tank's lines, not sure. It's hard to tell from the photos.

That is a good question... I am heading to the dealer on Monday and I will see what they say about that. If I am lucky they will be putting a tank on one and maybe I can get them to try it out and see if so. Will let you all know what I find out.
Very cool. Look forward to hearing the results.
BTW, doesn't the Stateline have the speedo on the tank, too?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
That tube is a pretty cool idea. Just where would you put it?

The custom line tanks have a hard edge line under the tank. One would have to figure out how to remove it to make it look good.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That tube is a pretty cool idea. Just where would you put it?

The custom line tanks have a hard edge line under the tank. One would have to figure out how to remove it to make it look good.
Another issue is the Stateline tank has the speedo incorporated within. The tank by itself is over $800 ... then you'd have to buy all the speedometer hardware to fill in the cavity (~ another $100):

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
It is my understanding from the dealer that the tanks can't be swapped without also changing the handlebars and, as already mentioned, moving the speedometer. It also requires some major changes to the tripple tree and forks so that the handlebars mount in a much higher position. The stock handlebars in the stock position would bang against the tank and not clear as they do with the stock tank. I also understand the bar under the tank on the Sabre and Stateline is much lower than the one on the Fury and. if the tanks were swapped, without altering the fuel tank, it would sit MUCH higher than the Fury OEM tank.

I'd be interested to see what happens when someone really tries it.

Dick

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
I bet MFR can make it fit.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I looked at doing this about 6 months ago actually. Clueless went into the showroom and measured and the tank should fit. He also measured the clearence on the handlebars and they would not hit and wouldnt require any kind of mod. The problem is the slope of the spine, it would definitely require a little modding in the tank mount. The other issue is the Stateline tank has a terrible looking sheet metal lip along the bottom of the tank that is very noticeable. Most of the guys who buy Statelines are having to cut that lip and reweld their tank to get rid of it. For $500 for a new tank plus having to weld on it, plus mossing the mount, plus repainting it... I'll just stop to fill up more.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Most of the guys who buy Statelines are having to cut that lip and reweld their tank to get rid of it. For $500 for a new tank plus having to weld on it, plus mossing the mount, plus repainting it... I'll just stop to fill up more.
FYI: Most guys with VTX's don't cut/weld there tanks. They fill them in with either fiberglass or metal based filler (*NOT Bondo). Here's an example:
My VTX Pro Street Project almost done - TWT Forums

·
Registered
241 Posts
I guess that extra gas is good for spots where gas is short in supply. As for me I am ready for a gas stop after each tank. I did 650 miles in one day and I woud have died if I did not stop before the reserve came on toward the end. Sissy butt I guess...

·
Registered
12,643 Posts
I guess that extra gas is good for spots where gas is short in supply. As for me I am ready for a gas stop after each tank. I did 650 miles in one day and I woud have died if I did not stop before the reserve came on toward the end. Sissy butt I guess...
I would like to have the bigger tank just for peace of mind, but I'm like you, BK. After 100 miles, I'm ready for a break anyway.....even if I'm driving in a car or truck. ;)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Well looks like you got all of the same answers I got from the dealership yesterday. Looks like it will be one hell of a job to put it on but anyone with the money and the know how, it can work.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts