Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just crossed the 200 mile mark on my "new" Fury. So far loving the bike, but there's something that's bothering me a bit. When riding at highway speeds the steering feels twitchy, when there's any wind. It's not noticeable at 50mph and under. I think what happens is when I'm being pounded by crosswind, it moves my arms which translates into the handlebars, causing the bike to respond. Now this might be just me, because I used to feel this on my old VTX1300 UNTIL I replaced the steering head bearings with AllBalls tapered bearings - the bike started to handle like a Lexus on a German highway.

Question is - does anyone know if there are aftermarket bearings available for the Fury? Couldn't find anything in the AllBAlls catalog. Also, does anyone have the same impression of the steering sensitivity on their bike?

P.S. Another thing I want to try before I look for bearings is tightening the steering stem nut. How much do you have to take apart to get to it? ON a VTX a special tool was needed, if I remember correctly). Has anyone done this?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
could be the clothing you are wearing also, anything loose like a unbuttoned vest or jacket will translate into a slight wobble at good speeds

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
could be the clothing you are wearing also, anything loose like a unbuttoned vest or jacket will translate into a slight wobble at good speeds
Bought a new jacket just for this issue. Again, maybe it's in my head and I just prefer less sensitive steering...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Posting the answer from All Balls Racing in case anyone comes looking for this info:

"We have the steering bearing for the 2010 model. The 2011 may be the same as well. I will ask our engineer to check the microfiche

2010 VTX1300CX FURY 22-1037

Regards
Kevin

Kevin Kraft
All Balls Racing
PO Box 437, 822 N Reading Ave"

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
It also has to do with the small trail of the front tire that is the stability factor I have been told and IMO... And choppers want to flop.
I had read about the Fury and how it was more stable than most choppers available
The front tire is skinny too. I have done 80mph on the highway for hours, the bike can get scary. I have noticed she is a little wobbly or sketchy when crosswinds are present and if passing a semi trailer....:cool:
She seeems most stable for me at 70 mph :D

Let us know if you replace the OE bearings they are probably not of High quality and if it helped control the light stering

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let us know if you replace the OE bearings they are probably not of High quality and if it helped control the light stering
I decided I'm going to do this, as soon as I find a good mechanic in my area. My old Honda dealer by my house did a great job last time, unfortunately, they went out of business couple of years ago.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Im surprised im the first to comment on this. I know exactly how you feel. THis being my first bike i noticed at highway speeds last year that i did feel like i was being tossed around. I too thought it was my jacket acting as a sail.

Fast forward to this year. See, over the off season i installed the new 8* trees which comes with a set of AllBalls bearings and seats. You are correct, the OEM bearings are round and not tapered. The new bearings are tapered. Now i dont know if its the new rake, or the bearings, or a combo of both, but the ride now is as smooth as silk at highway speeds.

If you have some basic tools you can tackle this yourself. I dont remember it being any special tool, as i didnt have to go out and buy anything to tear apart the front end. BUT YOU MUST TAKE YOUR TIME. There are lots of chrome parts up front and the tank sits right there, which can be scratched with the bink of an eye. Good Luck.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you have some basic tools you can tackle this yourself. I dont remember it being any special tool, as i didnt have to go out and buy anything to tear apart the front end. BUT YOU MUST TAKE YOUR TIME. There are lots of chrome parts up front and the tank sits right there, which can be scratched with the bink of an eye. Good Luck.
The reason I came to this conclusion is that my old VTX1300 did the same, maybe even worse. I could not believe what a difference bearings can make, considering the factory ones weren't broken... I've been spoiled.

I will do this myself if I have no choice. I called two dealers and one refused to do it, another wanted 4 hours labor for it. Last time it took less then two hours, so I know it's bull$#it. Gonna see a highly recommended independent wrench today, hope he works on metric bikes.

BTW, The special tool needed bay be a special socket that adjusts the steering nut, but I read up on it and looks like there are some affordable alternatives.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
The reason I came to this conclusion is that my old VTX1300 did the same, maybe even worse. I could not believe what a difference bearings can make, considering the factory ones weren't broken... I've been spoiled.

I will do this myself if I have no choice. I called two dealers and one refused to do it, another wanted 4 hours labor for it. Last time it took less then two hours, so I know it's bull$#it. Gonna see a highly recommended independent wrench today, hope he works on metric bikes.

BTW, The special tool needed bay be a special socket that adjusts the steering nut, but I read up on it and looks like there are some affordable alternatives.

Ok PM Clueless about it He works as a Mech at a Honda Shop and that whet he does... He may be able to enlighten you on this matter good luck!:cool:

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Im surprised im the first to comment on this. I know exactly how you feel. THis being my first bike i noticed at highway speeds last year that i did feel like i was being tossed around. I too thought it was my jacket acting as a sail.

Fast forward to this year. See, over the off season i installed the new 8* trees which comes with a set of AllBalls bearings and seats. You are correct, the OEM bearings are round and not tapered. The new bearings are tapered. Now i dont know if its the new rake, or the bearings, or a combo of both, but the ride now is as smooth as silk at highway speeds.

I am glad I came across this.
I too was feeling like I had to hold on for dear life at times or the bike was gonna get away from me at around 65mph and up. I just thought it had something to do with the tire being so thin.
I also had the L&M 8 degree trees installed this winter and I just realized after reading this thread that this problem is gone!! I just forgot about it over the winter and have not experienced it this year! This is huge!
I think RSS should put this in the FAQ!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Although properly-installed balls are adequate and cheaper, tapered steering-head bearings are ALWAYS superior to balls. With eigther type, make sure that you don't over-tighten them, as this will cause the front-end to wobble; sometimes "good-and-tight" is not a good thing!

Cheers

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I called some shops and got really put off by their responses.

I'm doing it myself. Just bought a service manual off of eBay, now going to order the bearings. Will use the numerous walkthroughs posted on VTX boards to get this done... wish me luck.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What were they?
Dealer #1 - Highly recommended, nice guys - but they refused to do it at all stating liability reasons

Dealer #2 - "We have never done anything like that, but it takes 5 hours of labor at $95/hr for this job" :confused:

Independent Mechanic: "We don't work on jap bikes"

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Dealer #1 - Highly recommended, nice guys - but they refused to do it at all stating liability reasons

Dealer #2 - "We have never done anything like that, but it takes 5 hours of labor at $95/hr for this job" :confused:

Independent Mechanic: "We don't work on jap bikes"
WOW! That actually surprises me. So they are saying they would only do it with the stock Honda bearings? I had all my work done at the Honda dealer.
Sumo, 8degree trees, You name it! The stock swing arm actually has to be thinned out to accommodate the 250 tire. The dealer had no problem with it. They inspected it and said it was good to go. It makes no sense that they
would not do this for you. It is obvious that you want to put a better bearings in. It's an upgrade! Makes no sense.
And that 5hr is just plain crazy. It should take half that time or less.
Well, either way you will get it done and be happy. Save some money in the process.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
i have don three furys and no special tools needed .two hour job.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i have don three furys and no special tools needed .two hour job.
Quick question then: What socket/other tool did you use to torque the steering stem adjustment nut? I'm putting together a list of things I need.... Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
Quick question then: What socket/other tool did you use to torque the steering stem adjustment nut? I'm putting together a list of things I need.... Thanks in advance!
Here are 2 different approaches.
Steering Stem Rebuild Bareass Choppers Tech Pages

1300C Steering Bearing Replacement - Honda VTX forums for Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 motorcycles

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALL-BALLS-STEERING-STEM-BEARINGS-KIT-GOLD-WING-FURY-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cb6a16dd7QQitemZ260762070487QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
You can make a steering stem tool out of pipe, or you can guess at the torque as the guy does in the video, this is with a stock set of trees, the aftermarket rake kits don't use the same top nut.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts