Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First a shout out to Steve at Smokin Tyre Garage who kept me up to date on some unavoidable delays. Top notch customer service and all-around good dude.

So just wondering if any of you have any tips or tricks to share. Spent way too long last night getting the old shock out and the air shock in. It would not come out the top like the directions suggested. I wound up taking the rear wheel off and pulling it out the bottom/back. I played around with the idea of pulling the battery and giving that a go but didn't look like I'd have as much room to work with. TIA!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
STG has always been a stand up forum member. He doesn't post anymore, glad to hear he is taking care of business.

Several people have air ride installed on here. I am personally building my own based on the experiences of a couple of them, but mostly I am following what @krashDH did.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
First a shout out to Steve at Smokin Tyre Garage who kept me up to date on some unavoidable delays. Top notch customer service and all-around good dude.

So just wondering if any of you have any tips or tricks to share. Spent way too long last night getting the old shock out and the air shock in. It would not come out the top like the directions suggested. I wound up taking the rear wheel off and pulling it out the bottom/back. I played around with the idea of pulling the battery and giving that a go but didn't look like I'd have as much room to work with. TIA!
That's cool he's still in business, good to hear. I'm sure he's more active on social media, which I don't have, so haven't heard from him on here (or the other guys who build exhausts and such) for a while.

As far as getting the shock in/out with the tire on, it's possible. I got my big air can out of there without removing the rear wheel a couple weeks back when I did my fuel filter upgrade. You just have to let the swingarm drop all the way down. It's even a bit more difficult in my case since I have wiring for all my aftermarket stuff as well as pneumatic hoses running everywhere.

This was out with the old cylinder, then in with the new one (old one coming out in this photo):

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's cool he's still in business, good to hear. I'm sure he's more active on social media, which I don't have, so haven't heard from him on here (or the other guys who build exhausts and such) for a while.

As far as getting the shock in/out with the tire on, it's possible. I got my big air can out of there without removing the rear wheel a couple weeks back when I did my fuel filter upgrade. You just have to let the swingarm drop all the way down. It's even a bit more difficult in my case since I have wiring for all my aftermarket stuff as well as pneumatic hoses running everywhere.

This was out with the old cylinder, then in with the new one (old one coming out in this photo):

View attachment 239938
Good grief. It never even occurred to me to try it with the tire still on there! Lol!

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Good grief. It never even occurred to me to try it with the tire still on there! Lol!
It takes some twisting and turning and a bit of luck but it comes out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It takes some twisting and turning and a bit of luck but it comes out.
Well, I'm just gonna tell myself the compressor will be easier to install without the wheel in the way. I was going to take pics of the install but almost immediately smashed my finger and started bleeding everywhere. Now it really feels like my bike. Little blood, little sweat, and a little beer...

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Well, I'm just gonna tell myself the compressor will be easier to install without the wheel in the way. I was going to take pics of the install but almost immediately smashed my finger and started bleeding everywhere. Now it really feels like my bike. Little blood, little sweat, and a little beer...
Lol that's the part about DIY vehicle work, you're gonna bleed. On yourself, on your bike, on your floor.
But I agree and I did it the same way for when I was installing my air ride...side covers off, rear wheel off, made it a lot easier to install the compressor, holding tank (so I can instant up and down without working the compressor too hard), and routing all of the pneumatic lines and wiring.

For day to day maintenance if I have to remove the can, wheel stays on. But that's pretty rare once it's in. Only removed mine this last time to install the recalled/upgraded fuel filter.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
1st test ride with the air suspension and I about shit my pants coz I forgot to trim these fuckers off. Lol! View attachment 239956
Just reminds me that one of my favorite things to do it put big zip ties on people drive shafts...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anybody know why Tricky Air states that "The release of air pressure while sitting on the motorcycle and left on the kickstand can make it unstable and cause damage."? Do they mean damage to the cylinder or are they talking about the bike falling over?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Bike could potentially fall over depending on the surface it's on and the angle of how it's parked. If you've noticed, when you drop it all the way down, the bike is more "upright".

If you aren't cognizant of how you park it and pressure was released, it could potentially tip the opposite direction.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bike could potentially fall over depending on the surface it's on and the angle of how it's parked. If you've noticed, when you drop it all the way down, the bike is more "upright".

If you aren't cognizant of how you park it and pressure was released, it could potentially tip the opposite direction.
Yeah, definitely noticed that the 1st time I let the air out testing to make sure I had the switch and wiring right. I was squatted down on the left side of the bike and it sat almost straight up. Major heart attack.
That's what I figured but I wanted to be sure. I love airing it out and didn't want to fuck nothing up.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Yeah, definitely noticed that the 1st time I let the air out testing to make sure I had the switch and wiring right. I was squatted down on the left side of the bike and it sat almost straight up. Major heart attack.
That's what I figured but I wanted to be sure. I love airing it out and didn't want to fuck nothing up.
Yes airing it down when you park is a good idea as well...you don't want to keep the cylinder pressurized when not in use, it can prematurely wear the internal seals.

Reactions: Gizmo and Jeez
1 - 17 of 17 Posts