Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Fury and love everything about the bike except the factory exhaust.
I can't afford to change out the exhaust plus the fact that the chrome exhaust from the factory is beautiful.
My question is, can the baffles be removed, modified, or "punched out" and give a better sound without causing trouble with the air/gas ratio and setting off the computer?
Thank you in advance for your input. Ride safe friends.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Years ago there was a company that would take the stock muffler, cut it open and gut it then put it back together again. I don't know anyone on the forum who did that. Some folks drilled out the muffler with varying results. (mostly sounded like crap)

The stock US muffler sounds really good with a high flow intake and fuel controller or reflash. I did this to my bike, I removed the stock AU/EU/UK muffler and replaced it with a stock US muffler. My local Honda dealer reckon my bike is the best sounding bike they have heard and they have heard a lot of bikes.

Just a footnote I found the stock US muffler sounds totally different with the stock air cleaner on, so you may like to try a high flow air cleaner before you go hacking into a perfectly good muffler.

·
Super Moderator
3,169 Posts
@Rope sent me his Cobra slip-ons, they look factory and have what I would consider the best, deepest sound you can get out of a Fury for not a lot of $$$. Loudness is half between stock and straight pipes.

If you find the Fury Throughout The Years thread there's a picture of the muffler system internals, which details why coring isn't a great option vs. buying slip-ons.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Years ago there was a company that would take the stock muffler, cut it open and gut it then put it back together again. I don't know anyone on the forum who did that. Some folks drilled out the muffler with varying results. (mostly sounded like crap)

The stock US muffler sounds really good with a high flow intake and fuel controller or reflash. I did this to my bike, I removed the stock AU/EU/UK muffler and replaced it with a stock US muffler. My local Honda dealer reckon my bike is the best sounding bike they have heard and they have heard a lot of bikes.

Just a footnote I found the stock US muffler sounds totally different with the stock air cleaner on, so you may like to try a high flow air cleaner before you go hacking into a perfectly good muffler.
Thank you!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Rope sent me his Cobra slip-ons, they look factory and have what I would consider the best, deepest sound you can get out of a Fury for not a lot of $$$. Loudness is half between stock and straight pipes.

If you find the Fury Throughout The Years thread there's a picture of the muffler system internals, which details why coring isn't a great option vs. buying slip-ons.
Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
3,169 Posts
It was a bit hard to find the post unless one knew what they were looking for, here's the link:

Most people drill the back out, but it's the front cans (in purple) that need to be cored so the plate immediately behind them can be hole-sawed (an extension on a 1/2" high-torque drill is needed). (The rest can stay, it'll be a muted thump at that point.) To un-cork the thump, the exit tube (all the way in back) can be hole-sawed out just slightly larger diameter than the tube, then the whole assembly can be wiggled & twisted out with a needle-nose pliers. This will give a hollowish-bump-thump sound, which is pretty decent. If burrs were created they can generate an unpleasant whistling sound--use a 12" long round file to remove them. Investment: 1 hole saw and about 3 hours; the hole saw teeth will chip/break when breaking through the heavy exhaust plate if there's nothing to keep the saw perfectly centered. Go slow--patience is the key to not tear up the cans. If more is removed than this the sound gets brash, though some people like that--it is, however, hard on the hearing.

I don't like spending money needlessly, so if you want to attempt this no-budget mod, more power to you (a cheap Menard's hole-saw works). I'll casually mention the Cobra Slip-Ons again since they sound awesome, mount easily, and fit great, but the choice is yours, I support you either way.

This guy might support you too, but he looks a bit more like a model and less like a guy who turns a wrench...:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don't over bake it is my opinion. If you haven't removed the rubber block at the back of the air box, do that first. For the muff I simply drilled out the welsh plug with a stepped counter sink using a hex extension long enough to get the job done. They are quite inexpensive. And then drill 3x3/16 holes around each outlet of the two pipes in the retainer. No mapping required, a good note when passing and you don't wake the neighbourhood when you fire it up. More air in more gas out, you only need mapping when you exceed the computers parameters, not going beserk on one thing is in your favour. Been using this for 2 years with no prob's except a big grin.
Rubber side down and all is good.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Fury VT1300
11 Posts
Not sure which way you're wanting to go with the exhaust but I spent around $60 and made mine. I got 2- 1 3/4" tail pipes from my local parts house and some exhaust wrap. Cut the tail pipes to a slight offset and then cut notches on one end to secure onto the stock pipes. I took the c clamps off the factory muffler and used those to secure it to the stock flanges. I cut the mounting tab off the factory muffler and welded it to both the pipes to hold and support it and bolted back down to the stock location. Sounds great but I do need to buy the valve delete plates so the popping will stop but learned to adapt to that by letting off the throttle earlier when slowing down.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Don't over bake it is my opinion. If you haven't removed the rubber block at the back of the air box, do that first. For the muff I simply drilled out the welsh plug with a stepped counter sink using a hex extension long enough to get the job done. They are quite inexpensive. And then drill 3x3/16 holes around each outlet of the two pipes in the retainer. No mapping required, a good note when passing and you don't wake the neighbourhood when you fire it up. More air in more gas out, you only need mapping when you exceed the computers parameters, not going beserk on one thing is in your favour. Been using this for 2 years with no prob's except a big grin.
Rubber side down and all is good.
Couple of things, so as not to confuse our Canadian and American brothers. The US air box does not have the rubber plug and the US muffler is quite different to the AU/EU/UK one so the drilling instructions won't align. I did a post on the difference. I also replaced my stock AU muffler with a stock US one and it sounds way way better than the AU/EU/UK version.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts