Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still trying to get the 250 tire but trying to use as much of the stock parts as I can.
I was wondering if anyone can tell me if I would be able to use the stock fender with the 250 fat tire kit. By looking at pics I don't see why not?
Then I just gotta move the L/P and I wouldn't need to get signals, brake light,(I like the stock brake light) or a fender and get it painted. This should save a good chunk of change.
Has anyone done this or know if it would work?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
fat tire stock fender

from what sumo-x and low and mean says 250 tire will not fit between the frame that the fender sits on thats why you have to go with a struted fender .

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crap,
I found some pics with the fender off and you can see how the tire would never go up between the frame.
Well, wishful thinking I guess.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
read the FAQ, just updated it per your question...

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I saw L/M's video and also asked them about it rubbing. They said no problems with it.

I just got done looking at some old posts and I still don't see why the stock fender won't work. Sumo says (in an old post) that you still have full function of the shock. If that's the case then it should work. That would mean the tire would have to go up (depending) between the fender frame? Right? I don't understand what the struts have to do with it? Plus the stock fender is bigger then the kit fender so size should not be a problem?
I just don't have the knowledge about all of it. I need someone to explain the whole thing.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
???????????????????????
Are you drinking again?
I am.
Not yet... but here's your answer, do you want more explanation...mmm & did I answer it wrong... in learning/sharing facts mod now, let me know?

Q: What is the biggest tire I can use on the stock Fury?

A: Safely, 210mm is the widest. 220mm with modified rim, read on.

A1: (***)Since this is a user made FAQ, I can honestly tell you that the 240/50/18 is the biggest size you can use on a stock Fury tire, it is a small rim, big tire combination*** but there will be minor issues with bolt and nuts not fitting that you may have to deal with. THIS is a mod to use at your own risk.(***) This will bulge out your tire, which is a safety risk and there are only currently less than 5 riders with this particular mod that are "known. YouTube - Honda Fury with the 240 Rear tire video As said in the video if you are still reading, 19mm, 14mm, for the stock 200mm tire and 13mm, 10mm for the 240mm tire. So, that will make it 210mm or so after this install.

A1: The 210mm rim will fit on the stock rim, but may look thinner than the stock tire, because of the height and general "shipped" width of the tire. If you refer to answer A3, you will see if you widen the rim, then add the 210mm tire, you will get the 209+mm tire that you are looking for.

A2: 250mm, with the Sumo-x version. This proven method to widening the tire is the Sumo-x version and looks good! But, this version will cost you $3,000+ for the WHOLE kit. You can order these in segments, which could be cheaper in the long run, determining on what you add. Here's the link: http://www.meancycles.com/Home.asp?P...keModelID=5793

A3: Another method described by Low and Mean, would be that of widening the stock or aftermarket rim to a MAX of 7", the current stock rear rim is 6.25" wide. This will allow for a 240mm tire to go on to the modified stock rim, but the total affect will measure at 220mm. This is a safer version of my A1 answer. The rim widening would be through Kosman.net or another wheel widener and takes 4-6 weeks to do (this is do to buyer-backup, damn Harley riders). If you have the free time, try this mod out. Most it will cost you is about $850 (if you have the right connections) with the stock rim, tire and all. Link: 240 tire on a Modified stock rim VIDEO

A4: Stock Fury rim with Sumo Fender: Sumo-X fender with stock tire

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RSS,
I have seen and know about all of the FAQ, answers about the fat tire options. Nice job by the way.
I am trying to get an answer on using the stock fender with the sumo kit because, as you stated it can be purchased one part at a time. If I can use the stock fender then I don't need a new one. I have been searching for a couple hrs now and I cant find an answer. I haven't seen a bike with one. Someone said I cant do it because of the struts but that doesn't make sense to me.
So I was looking for someone to explain it because I really don't trust a vendor to tell me I can't use a stock fender. Of course they want me to buy one.
The fender is just a cover over the frame so I am just not understanding it due to lack of knowledge. So I am trying to get some.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
RSS,
I have seen and know about all of the FAQ, answers about the fat tire options. Nice job by the way.
I am trying to get an answer on using the stock fender with the sumo kit because, as you stated it can be purchased one part at a time. If I can use the stock fender then I don't need a new one. I have been searching for a couple hrs now and I cant find an answer. I haven't seen a bike with one. Someone said I cant do it because of the struts but that doesn't make sense to me.
So I was looking for someone to explain it because I really don't trust a vendor to tell me I can't use a stock fender. Of course they want me to buy one.
The fender is just a cover over the frame so I am just not understanding it due to lack of knowledge. So I am trying to get some.
The reason it doesn't make sense is that the 250 tire cannot fit in there with the stock swing arms. But, I see what you are saying by the stock fender, think those that have tried this, did the opposite, and honestly, looking at the fender and frame where he cut, I don't see why this would not work... But, he cut his fender, that may be why it fit better. Let's examine this:

stock tire + Sumo fender = 200mm + 250mm fender? Does this make sense to cut the fender, no...? As he still has the 200mm tire. So, the real question is, why do I have to cut the fender to make room for a 200mm tire?

The answer to your particular question may be yes, but has not been proven yet, but the swing arm is the biggest issue...

250mm tire + sumo kit + stock fender = probably good? 240mm swing arm max + 250mm tire means that it should NOT be fine? (per that Low and Mean video of them squeezing in the tire with a 240)...

Why cut the frame if the 250 tire wouldn't rub? This is the reason, unless the Sumo kit has some more interesting issue?

Okay, which combination are you looking at the most... you have to be specific to get specific answers, even if you are trying to be the first... Better yet, what size tire are you going to use, that IS THE BIGGEST QUESTION and why SUMO widened his FENDER AND CUT THE STOCK FRAME :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RSS, that's knoledge at it'a finest!

I figure I need the entire 250 sumo kit but I was trying to find out if the stock fender worked with it. It now makes sense to me that it probably would not because one, I didn't know the sumo fender was wider. Two, I didn't know the frame needed to be cut.
Thanks for the help. Now I know.
Might want to put a note at the bottom of the FAQ, fat tire section saying the 250 sumo kit won't work with the stock fender.
I better get to ordering a peice at a time:D

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
RSS, that's knoledge at it'a finest!

I figure I need the entire 250 sumo kit but I was trying to find out if the stock fender worked with it. It now makes sense to me that it probably would not because one, I didn't know the sumo fender was wider. Two, I didn't know the frame needed to be cut.
Thanks for the help. Now I know.
Might want to put a note at the bottom of the FAQ, fat tire section saying the 250 sumo kit won't work with the stock fender.
I better get to ordering a peice at a time:D
I would, but this is just theory... want it proven first, especially to put it in the FAQ... that reminds me... need to recount what I said to CBFury, :(... that's just the way that I am unfortunately... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would, but this is just theory... want it proven first, especially to put it in the FAQ... that reminds me... need to recount what I said to CBFury, :(... that's just the way that I am unfortunately... :rolleyes:
You know, it is just a theory.
I am going to see if I can't get the Honda parts guy I use to figure it out and do the leg work.
He is going to want me to buy all the fat tire parts threw him so he'll do it.
He beats any on line price I find. Just goes to show how much the Criminal Honda Stealer's are making if he is able to lower his price by hundreds of dollars.
If the parts guy can't figure out if the stock fender works with the 250 fat tire then when I finally get all the sumo parts in we will try to put the stock fender on after the fat tire install. If it doesn't work then I will order the fat tire fender after we try. Then we'll know.
Might take two or three months.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
You know, it is just a theory.
I am going to see if I can't get the Honda parts guy I use to figure it out and do the leg work.
He is going to want me to buy all the fat tire parts threw him so he'll do it.
He beats any on line price I find. Just goes to show how much the Criminal Honda Stealer's are making if he is able to lower his price by hundreds of dollars.
If the parts guy can't figure out if the stock fender works with the 250 fat tire then when I finally get all the sumo parts in we will try to put the stock fender on after the fat tire install. If it doesn't work then I will order the fat tire fender after we try. Then we'll know.
Might take two or three months.
Cool, sounds good! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts