Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike (new to me) is equipped with Air Ride Platinum. It's giving me fits. Leaks air, won't rise... From what I've learned my problems are pretty easy fixes but I just don't trust it and want to go to a stock shock. I've been offered a straight trade and I'm considering it. Is that a foolish trade on my part? Just looking for others take on it. Thanks

·
Registered
2010 Fury
15 Posts
My advice would be to keep it simple and go back to standard or fit a good quality after market (not air) shock with adjustable pre-load.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, that is the plan for sure! I was just wondering if a straight across trade was cool.

·
Registered
2010 Fury
15 Posts
I reckon a straight across trade would be OK if you know the history of the shock you are about to fit. I.E. How many miles has it done and how heavy was it's previous owner! Any doubt about it's level of use/condition would make me fit a good aftermarket item. Might as well if you are going to all the trouble of stripping out the air shock. Just my take FWIW.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anybody have any advice on where to get a new stock shock? I thought it'd be easy to find but I'm not finding one...

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Anybody have any advice on where to get a new stock shock? I thought it'd be easy to find but I'm not finding one...
I have a stock shock with a cut coil (Low and Mean sells lowering coils, or you can DIY to your OEM coil) because I built a custom air ride for my bike. If I was in the market I'd probably do a straight across trade, but I'll likely hang onto it as a backup.

It's not that hard to see where it's leaking from. Pull the seat and side covers, you can likely see the connections and tubing and where they go. Trace them, pressurize the can, then spray some soapy water on all the connections and watch for bubbles. That will tell you what's leaking. I think it's pretty rare that there's an internal cylinder leak with those so it's probably something trivial externally. As well, a lot of people that put air rides together don't use the correct sealant on the fittings. If they just put teflon tape on the connections, it's going to leak. That stuff doesn't cut it in an air ride system.

Might be a good deal for someone that wants to invest a little time into fixing it, but I wouldn't want to trade straight across sight unseen. I'd be coming over to take a look prior to the trade and do exactly as I mentioned above. Might be worth your while so you are not trading someone a potentially dangerous and very critical part.

Also FWIW, I've seen rear shock assemblies all over Ebay for this bike.

Reactions: Gizmo
1 - 8 of 8 Posts