Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, has anybody taken off the stock switch housings to paint? if so how easy was it to put back together?

For some reason I have a dirty great thumbprint on the left one from manufacturing and they look awful to boot!

thx!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
They are pretty easy to get taken apart and put back together. Just be sure to remember how it all goes. Getting the throttle cables off without damage is a challenge tho.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, so it won't explode into a thousand pieces then! :)

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts

Here is a video that StPeteAPB sent me before I did mine, hope it helps

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Troop!, do you have any pics of your housings?

cheers

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Let me help ya fella. First, on the throttle cables, loosen them up at the intake first, gives you some play, just remember how many turns. Personally, I would powder coat them. Just go slow and take your time. All I got. :)

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Besides the video that Mike (Troop) posted, here's more ...

When you take the throttle side off, here is the order I did things, more specifically:
1. Two wires run to the switch in the brake lever mechanism ... put a small twist-tie on the one more towards the front of the bike so you put them back on in the proper order.
2. Disconnect those two plugs from the brake mechanism.
3. Open the clip that holds the starter harness ... just the brake/right side of the speedometer housing.
4. Pop the smaller harness stay off the peg ... located just before the master cylinder.
5. Remove both screws from the right (brake side) control housing and open the clam shell.
6. Turn the handlebars completely to the right and you will have enough slack to remove housing along with the throttle handle.
7. Now, just sort-of twist the handle (not like your throttling it "twist", but like you're bending it in towards the two cables) and the one cable will be more viable to get the cable end out of its "socket."
8. NOTE which cable is the top cable and which is the bottom so you put it back together the same way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Troop they do look a lot better than stock!

Thanks everyone great advice!.

I'll let you know how I get on :D

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
From someone who never took apart a bike until last fall .. here is my 2 cents.

when you take apart the housing by taking out the bottom phillips screws, they open like clams. While open and not taking anything out, take quality photos with a digi camera. Get in as close as you can. If you have to, make a drawing of each side. This way your not confused and cussing like a sailor because you have left over pieces.

Also, use 2 seperate zip lock baggies, one for each side to hold the screws and holding brackets. This way you dont loose track of them.

these are the pics i took of the left side, as there are several brackets that hold the turn signal switch in place. Stuff like this i could not find in the Honda Manual.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
I've used that method on alot of things, works great, recently rebuilt the carbs on my sons CB 500 and the pictures where worth their weight in gold when it came time to put it all back together.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts