Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My luck or perhaps my choice in mechanics and painters (that is sicknt, painter came through for me big time) continues to baffle me. I paid a local guy to tear down my engine, install the aft kit and do a bunch of other work i.e sumo kit, 8* trees, new brake lines etc.... He had had my bike since AUGUST of last year. Anyhow, he got the engine done finally and part of the sumo kit and decides he's gonna bail on the rest, leaving me at the peak of riding season with a bike that's in pieces. I have been chipping away at the work but i noticed he forgot to put a the long spacer back into the swingarm.... So i tore the swingarm off, put the spacer in, reasembled the swingarm THEN decided to watch the sumo vid on youtube. They assembled the tire, final drive and arm then slide it into the bike. My question, is this the only way or is there enough room to get the tire past the final drive? Looks like it'd be a very tight fit n don't wanna chance chipping the wheel if it's not gonna work. Thanks in advance and i'll be unloading all sorts of queries soon im sure.

If anyone's in the northern IL area n wants to turn some, wrenches im payin :)

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
When Kurt was here in February, we just tilted and angled the wheel in there. It does work, but kinda hard to explain. Bottom line, there is enough room to slide it back in there without hitting your rim.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, now that you mention that Richard, it does make sense. Who'd design something that requires removing the swingarm to replace a tire or something like that

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
No you can't take the wheel off without the final drive coming off as well . I have taken the wheel and final drive off several times with swing ARM still on the bike . It's tricky but can be done just make sure that the drive shaft stays secure in the engine side also when its out do not roll wheel at all just set on its side . Pm me I can give u my number and kind of walk u through it. An extra set of hands helps but is not necessary.

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
Billy is correct, I was not specific enough. Final drive stays on wheel and comes out of swing arm.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Yeah its definitely hard to explain Rich no doubt . The major thing is make sure that drive shaft stays in place you almost have to hold it with a little foward pressure while the wheel and drive shaft comes off. If that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Yeah its definitely hard to explain Rich no doubt . The major thing is make sure that drive shaft stays in place you almost have to hold it with a little foward pressure while the wheel and drive shaft comes off. If that makes sense.
Billy you have my curiosity up. Why is a must to keep the drive shaft in the engine side? Is just for oil running out or is there an alinement issue when you put it back in?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Billy you have my curiosity up. Why is a must to keep the drive shaft in the engine side? Is just for oil running out or is there an alinement issue when you put it back in?
Alignment issues , it would be a pain in the ass if the drive shaft came out being that its a two piece shaft with a knuckle in the middle . To get it to re-align would suck ...

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Where are you located Kenny? I am in Crystal Lake IL. I have the Sumo and 8* trees. I have never removed the tire but I have removed everything else. If you have questions or need to see it in person to figure something out let me know. Depending on how far you are I may be able to ride to you.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
.............If you have questions or need to see it in person to figure something out let me know. Depending on how far you are I may be able to ride to you.
A noble gesture, Mrbyber; you're a knight and a gentleman.

Cheers

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No you can't take the wheel off without the final drive coming off as well . I have taken the wheel and final drive off several times with swing ARM still on the bike . It's tricky but can be done just make sure that the drive shaft stays secure in the engine side also when its out do not roll wheel at all just set on its side . Pm me I can give u my number and kind of walk u through it. An extra set of hands helps but is not necessary.

I'm not gonna get to the install this weekend as now my tire won't hold air... Slow leak somewhere, gotta track that down. I'll get your number for sure though, thank you.

Where are you located Kenny? I am in Crystal Lake IL. I have the Sumo and 8* trees. I have never removed the tire but I have removed everything else. If you have questions or need to see it in person to figure something out let me know. Depending on how far you are I may be able to ride to you.
I'm in Mendota, IL, straight south of rockford about 50 min. off I39, prob be a good run for you, my biggest issues are going to be wiring the lights but once i get her rolling and fired i'll prob hirer that out, thank you

1 - 12 of 12 Posts