Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a switched 12v wire that's easy to get to, to tap into somewhere near the rear of the bike. Turn signals won't do as they're led and don't draw the same voltage. Horn maybe?

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Looking for a switched 12v wire that's easy to get to, to tap into somewhere near the rear of the bike. Turn signals won't do as they're led and don't draw the same voltage. Horn maybe?
license plate illumination, oops, not switched.

My turn signal are not led. You could tap into the wire you spliced into too run your led turns

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts

The voltage is the same , led's don't draw as much current !!
License plate +ve is switched .

It depends on the current draw of what you intend to do which is important ..

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It's for a Scorpio alarm. Instructions say you can't splice into anything that is LED as the draw is no longer 12v. That eliminates my license plate light and all of my turn signals. And yes... Switched with the key. Must have power when you turn the key on and no power when the key is off. That leaves the headlight and the instrument gauges for sure, but they're already covered in braided stainless. I was thinking maybe the horn or the kickstand switch.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
It's for a Scorpio alarm. Instructions say you can't splice into anything that is LED as the draw is no longer 12v. That eliminates my license plate light and all of my turn signals. And yes... Switched with the key. Must have power when you turn the key on and no power when the key is off. That leaves the headlight and the instrument gauges for sure, but they're already covered in braided stainless. I was thinking maybe the horn or the kickstand switch.

Both good options

Sounds strange that an Alarm needs a switched power source .
I would have thought otherwise !

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
214 Posts
For my Scorpio alarm I tapped into the ignition wire off of the back of the fuse block behind the right side cover. This is for the ignition cut off. Is that what you are asking about?

·
Registered
6,130 Posts

Your tag light wasn't led from the factory... And is 12v... So I see no reason for it not to work... Probe it with a volt meter and see if this is not true... And for that matter the instructions sound screwy because it says the "draw" is no longer 12v.... Draw refers to amperage and has nothing to do with voltage... Leds draw less amperage but are still 12v... If they weren't they wouldn't work on your bike as it has a 12v battery and therefore system

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
My tag light to my side mount is LED now. I'm just going by what the instructions say. I also researched this alarm pretty thoroughly before buying and had to look on several of the other bike forums to find anyone that was using it. On those forums they said they encountered numerous problems connecting it to wires that went to LED's because the LED's changing something. I know nothing about electrical stuff, so I'm just going by their warnings not to do it. All I really need to know is if the horn is a switched circuit. I relocated my horn and as of now the wires won't reach to test it. I'm pretty sure it is but I can't remember. Just need someone to go double check.

·
Septuagenarian Rider
4,151 Posts
From the beginning ...

Horn is switched but only has power when honking :rolleyes:.

license plate illumination, oops, not switched.
Yes - switched - brown wire.

You could tap into the wire you spliced into too run your led turns
No - switched but intermittent.

What are you trying to run off of it? The parking lights would suffice but it really depends on what you are trying to do.
Yes - but only at front.

My assumption was that he meant switched with the key so tag light would work but maybe I'm wrong... We need more info
Yes - brown wire.

The voltage is the same , led's don't draw as much current !! License plate +ve is switched . It depends on the current draw of what you intend to do which is important ..
LEDs run on 2-3 volts through a dropping resistor so they can connect to a 12V source.
The Scorpio switched connection is a signal wire only so negligible current draw. Unit also connects directly to battery for power.

Horn NG; Kickstand sends a ground signal to ECM - bad idea.

Both good options

Sounds strange that an Alarm needs a switched power source .
I would have thought otherwise !
See above.
It's not a power source. Signals alarm to disarm.

For my Scorpio alarm I tapped into the ignition wire off of the back of the fuse block behind the right side cover. This is for the ignition cut off. Is that what you are asking about?
This model is not equipped with optional ignition cut.

Yes... I just can't check the horn wire because my bike is totally disassembled still.
Fugedaboutit.

Your tag light wasn't led from the factory... And is 12v... So I see no reason for it not to work... Probe it with a volt meter and see if this is not true... And for that matter the instructions sound screwy because it says the "draw" is no longer 12v.... Draw refers to amperage and has nothing to do with voltage... Leds draw less amperage but are still 12v... If they weren't they wouldn't work on your bike as it has a 12v battery and therefore system
LEDs without a dropping resistor burn out on 12V but most bike accessory LEDs have one soldered in series.

Tag light is 12 volt.
Yup, the supply is.

My tag light to my side mount is LED now. I'm just going by what the instructions say. I also researched this alarm pretty thoroughly before buying and had to look on several of the other bike forums to find anyone that was using it. On those forums they said they encountered numerous problems connecting it to wires that went to LED's because the LED's changing something. I know nothing about electrical stuff, so I'm just going by their warnings not to do it. All I really need to know is if the horn is a switched circuit. I relocated my horn and as of now the wires won't reach to test it.
Factory wiring to lights and horn button is 12V; what you've added like your tag light is not so as long as you tap in on the factory wire you are good to go. Again, the horn black wire is switched but will not work. Your best bet is to use the Red/Black 'option' wire in the empty fuse slot in the fuse block. You can plug a soldered wire tip (for stiffness) into the single female pin; the other pin is normally absent.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Horn is switched - black wire.

Yes - switched - brown wire.

No - switched but intermittent.

Yes - but only at front.

Yes - brown wire.

LEDs run on 2-3 volts through a dropping resistor so they can connect to a 12V source.
The Scorpio switched connection is a signal wire only so negligible current draw. Unit also connects directly to battery for power.

Horn OK; Kickstand sends a ground signal to ECM - bad idea.

See above.
It's not a power source. Signals alarm to disarm.

This model is not equipped with optional ignition cut.

Black wire which you extended during reloacation.

LEDs without a dropping resistor burn out on 12V but most bike accessory LEDs have one soldered in series.

Yup, the supply is.

Factory wiring to lights and horn is 12V; what you've added like your tag light is not so as long as you tap in on the factory wire you are good to go. Again, the horn black wire is switched and will work just as well to signal the Scorpio.
Damn, I was right the first time. I thought he wanted to control it with the turn signal switch.

·
Septuagenarian Rider
4,151 Posts
That (black) wire only has power on it if the horn button is pushed. The brown wire for the lamps would be a better choice. (or on the back of the fuse block, any of the first 4 wires, fuses A-D are all switched circuits)
Thanks John ;). What was I thinking; senior moment and too many balls in the air I guess :rolleyes:.
I'll correct my post.

·
Registered
6,130 Posts

Yes... What I meant was the "source" for these would be 12v...sorry for any confusion... And the tag light or parking light (in the tail light.. Not in the rear signals... As there are non in the rear signals) would give you a switched 12v... But as Gar mentioned the fuse block would be preferable... I was mentioning the tag light as you had said you needed it in the "rear" of the bike

1 - 20 of 55 Posts