Honda Fury Forums: banner

T-Mod by MFR

39K views 122 replies 38 participants last post by  Goat 
#1 · (Edited)
Tony Started the crap so its all his fault!!!

30 T-mods under my belt. And this is how I do The T-mod...
I am recommending only doing 1-1/2" t-mod because this makes the fender follow the tire perfectly. If your do more then 1-1/2" you start to take away the possibility of other lowering mods like the L&M spring or doing the shock mod. More then an 1-1/2" starts to draw the Taillight into the tire.

Ok, lets begin

On a flat level surface jack up your fury using a motorcycle jack till rear tire is about 4 inches off the ground. make sure the bike is stable and strapped to the lift.

Using 5mm allan socket or wrench, remove the seats
push center down in the push clips holding fender at the front, remove fender. Using a 17mm wrench remove the nut holding the shock to the swing-arm, the bolt is 14mm. Lift the wheel and remove the bolt holding shock to swing-arm, then gently let down the wheel. This 30second step creates plenty of room to maneuver while cutting and welding. Next pop the 3 wire loom clips off the frame post T's by gently pulling them towards you with the open side away from you. this will allow the wires to be positioned multiple times during cutting and welding the T-mod.
Place masking tape on both sides of the frame approximately 2" back going back, from cross braising on frame. from that cross bracing measure and mark 2 1/2" across the top of the support. on the lower from the bracing, measure back and mark 3" and 3 1/4". Using a straight edge connect the lower marks with the upper marks. where the top of the support metal starts to roll, make a cross mark, it will be approx 3/8 from the top. (DO NOT CUT UP PAST THE CROSS MARK!!!) repeat other side.

Cover the bike with a light plastic then a welding blanket or wet towels to keep from burning your furys paint or marring the chrome. take a measurement off the floor to the bottom of the taillight. write this number down.

And .....CUT!!!!!

Cut the Inverted V out. between the lines you made. (DO NOT CUT PAST THE CROSS MARK!!!) when your done cutting with a little force push down that the center of the tail till you have no more movement. (do not get aggressive and jump on it) take a measurement. Depends on how far you want to drop your may have to shave a little more from the V.
Grind all the paint to bare metal 1/2' either way of the cuts all the way around, paint and welding leads to ugly weak welds clean it good!
across the top of the cut grind the paint away in the shape of a T for (Tony)
you have to weld the T in there. I SAID SO!! and Tony loves it!!

And .....WELD!!

Take another measurement, verify you have dropped to your desired distance. Again I recommend an 1 1/2" T-mod.. Tack weld in several spots on both sides to keep the metal from pulling during full weld. Now finish up your welds. And don't forget the T cause I SAID SO!! and Tony loves it!!
It will not be a true T-mod with out the T and Mental will tell ya the same thing! let cool, sand, prime, paint. lift wheel and reinstall shock bolt. reinstall fender.

factory seat... zip tie a 1' long by 1/2"x1/2" piece of hard rubber to the top of your seat clips.
C&C seats... no need for this to the seat clip. BUT!! drill a 1/4" hole the same rubber piece and place it between the fender and frame and zip tie threw fender, rubber and frame.

Put your TRUE CHOPPER back together!!!!!

take your time putting all bolts back in place they are soft and cross thread easily thread as much as you can with your fingers. blow off your bike with air compressor or ride to 60mph for a few to blow off any remaining metal shavings before you start wiping and cleaning your bike.

CONGRATS you have just completed a T-mod

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
there is a guy in Canada named Tony and a couple in Ca I heard about

#6 ·
I have a rough draft in the works for the shock, I just roughed the t-mod into a post, digging for more pics. I have so many and want the right shot. may even swap out a couple on T-mod

#8 ·
Good looking welds Mike. What type of welder do you use? I used my old Lincoln Weld-Pak HD. It's a gasless flux-core wire feed welder. It was cheap and does a descent job but it sure makes a lot of slop, no where near as clean as yours. I just 'over-welded' a little and ground it all down smooth and repainted so I have no T (sorry Tony). I might have to have you put a T on mine next time you come through just to make it legit.

#9 ·
I took a cheap 110v/gas .030 wire feed on the road trip, I run gas for a cleaner hotter weld. but I have a nice 220v gas in the shop for other welding I do. The 110v is plenty for anything on the Fury.

#12 ·
lmfao i was thinking the same thing about the pictures, they are nice clean/good looking pictures but just positioned wrong and the only way to view them is to either turn my head sideways or save them and then rotate them, I'm on a macbook.

#13 ·
t-mod shock mod pics

Didn't notice the pics were rotated the wrong way. Thats what I get for usually using my i-phone and a tablet that rotates the screens around.

Attachments

#15 ·
Looks easy enough! I will be tryin this out in 2 months :D

#19 ·
The gap is not much bigger then a cig, pic 3 is the fix to take out the bow when running a solo or 2up c&c seat

Attachments

#20 ·
Coors light must be kept at a cool 34* and I prefer the ladies to be wearing bikinis :D

#21 ·
Just a warning to whoever's bike this is, and any Matte Silver Fury with the T-mod for that matter: The paint will rub off where the seat meets the fender. It will turn black (color of plastic) and shiny. Gotta love having no clear coat. I'll try to get pictures of it later today-

#26 ·
I'm thinking this would be a good group event. Similiar to the get together in Indy. Little modding, little food, little drinking, little riding (before the drinking), little making the other members jealous with the good times we are having. :D

So who has a good location for this? I have a garage, but it is not very big and with a 6 month old and a small house my wife would be giving us the "shhhhh" alot.

Anyone else willing to open up their house and garage to a bunch of hooligans like us?

#27 ·
I have a apartment so I dont have to luxury to have a garage :( But I do live on the first floor lol. Money has been tight and like someone said I am "petrified" to do this myself. I can do it but I dont want to put my inexperience against someone who has done this 20 times already. What takes MFR a hour will take me 3. Its that damn bill and rent thing that gets int he way of me having fun for all my hard work. lol

#28 ·
I have done t-mods outside before lol

#45 ·
The good thing is Matt had clarified earlier that this mod was not, I REPEAT NOT!! performed by MyFuryRide to his Fury..............

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.