Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK just so we are clear I am not blaming anyone for anything in this thread. This is meant to be completely informative as well as help me gain some insight into my solutions.

I have the following modification done to the rear end of my motorcycle.

T-Mod - Dropped it 1.5in
L & M Lowering Spring - Turned all the way up to the highest level
Ginz Sissy Bar Setup - which attach's to the frame under the fender and then comes out to set up the sissy bar

On my way out of the driveway tonight I heard a slight rubbing, I reached under the fender and pulled rubber from the tire out of the right side of the sissy bar setup.

My tire now has a 1/8 in gouge in the wall of the tire going all the way around.

My question is:

If I put the stock spring back on it will it elleviate the problem by raising the frame or do I have to remove the sissy bar all together because the T-mod lowered the frame to much and now there is not enough clearance for the Sissy bar setup.

I know no one has dealt with an issue like this before but guestimation would be helpful. It looks like I am either going to be selling a lowering spring or a sissy bar on here real soon. :mad:

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
pic me a couple pics of the mounting

·
Banned
622 Posts
you can also turn the adjuster up to help bring it up from rubbing if its all the way down u have no give...it should stop rubbing

·
Registered
707 Posts
JMO but I would take off the sissy bar then ride it. I lowered mine and sometimes have scraping but never lost an rubber.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JMO but I would take off the sissy bar then ride it. I lowered mine and sometimes have scraping but never lost an rubber.
The Sissy bar is there for the Ol Lady. Besides its a Ginz Old School Sissy bar and it give it an old school look - I love it. The first thing I'm going to try is to replace the lowering spring.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you can also turn the adjuster up to help bring it up from rubbing if its all the way down u have no give...it should stop rubbing
Brother, I turned it all the way up. I weigh 240 so, it still gives. Isnt there a screw to adjust on the spring though to give it more or less give, not the adjustable dial?

·
Registered
707 Posts
The Sissy bar is there for the Ol Lady. Besides its a Ginz Old School Sissy bar and it give it an old school look - I love it. The first thing I'm going to try is to replace the lowering spring.
Yeah I understand that! I didn't mean remove it permanantly just to see if that was the problem.

·
Banned
622 Posts
yes near the bottom of the spring strut its for dampning the ride and it will stiffin it up mine was set to in the middle but when i add the wife i need it up at least three quarters of the way

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I turned it all the way and it is still rubbing, probably because of the combination of the L & M and the T Mod - I wont know anything until I get in there and see whats going on.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I turned it all the way and it is still rubbing, probably because of the combination of the L & M and the T Mod - I wont know anything until I get in there and see whats going on.
What is happening is your T mod went to far. You now are bottoming out the frame on the tire. Even if you change the Spring out you will still have this problem, not so much at low speed but high speed where it's dangerous. Here's what I would suggest, either install a 210 or 240 tire, which will decrease the diameter of the tire and give you more clearance between the frame and the tire at full compression of the shock. Or modify the frame structure so you clear the tire. If you take off the fender you will see where the rubber hits and you can start grinding away.

Good luck, if you want we can custom order you a stiffer lower spring for two up riding.
LM
928-255-0230

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
What is happening is your T mod went to far. You now are bottoming out the frame on the tire. Even if you change the Spring out you will still have this problem, not so much at low speed but high speed where it's dangerous. Here's what I would suggest, either install a 210 or 240 tire, which will decrease the diameter of the tire and give you more clearance between the frame and the tire at full compression of the shock. Or modify the frame structure so you clear the tire. If you take off the fender you will see where the rubber hits and you can start grinding away.

Good luck, if you want we can custom order you a stiffer lower spring for two up riding.
LM
928-255-0230
ah, no...... there was no rubbing after I completed the t-mod. the bracketing for the sissy bar is rubbing. Its no-ones fault, just the combination of the 3 mods creates a rub.

going to a wider tire 210 or the 240 will aggravate the rub.

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
FYI.. This is what my bike has, 1-1/2" T-mod/1-1/2"shock mod/ air lowering kit. I can get the frame 1/2" off the ground and I still have 1" of clearance Tire to the fender support structure above. In other words I will drag frame before rubbing the tire on the support

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'll make a guess....

I would guess that the Ginz Sissy Bar mounts inside the frame. If this is the case, you may need to mod the Ginz Sissy Bar so it mounts between the frame & the fender with low profile hardware. This should help if not solve the rubbing issue.

If I can help you in any way at all, just let me know. PM me or e-mail me at [email protected] (E-mail would be best)

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

LM
928-255-0230
Negative to the T-mod going to far. I rode my fury for about a month after the t-mod and there was no rubbing, then after the install of the sissy bar i see a line on the tire and a rub line on the tire.

After I removed the sissy bar and took the fender off I saw that a bolt on the sissy bar housing on the right hand side of the bike was rubbing. I switched the bolts so the nut and the excess bolt is not on the inside of the frame but rather the outside in between the frame and the fender. No more Rub.

So, it was not the T mod and everything is functional. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts