Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got hit with a few unexpected bills where I'd rather be putting the cash towards things for the bike so I decided to chop a bit more tonight. I was going to start on the T-mod but decided that I would rather be fresh and awake rather than botching it. In preparation for that I thought about cleaning up the plate mount.

I'll let the pics speak for themselves but I'll add notes as questions if any arise.

After removing the fender and tail assembly I pulled the metal frame out and decided to take the existing part with the nut that is normally tossed and welded that further up and matching the angle of the bracket properly.

I then cut the plastic tag hanger and reflector off

This is what is missing now

The original mounting screw is used to secure the license backing plate to the frame and tail. Use threadlocker on this part definitely!

This is the view from the back of the license plate holder

obligatory mounted on the bike shot

Fender and bike reassembled

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, I realize that once I do the T-mod I'm probably going to hack off the rest of the tail section and do an led strip along the bottom of the fender... but, I had to do SOMETHING in the meantime. ;) Did it cost me a dime so far to do? Nope. Those are the best mods that often feel the most satisfying.

If you do this, realize that when you go back to attach it to the frame that the arms will need to be spread out a bit and might be under a bit of tension. It doesn't hurt anything and once all the bolts are in on the sides everything is solid. I'd recommend attaching one side fully and then stretch it back out until it's in the U-section. Put in one bolt and then visually align the other hole. Hand thread the other bolt and if you're having trouble aligning it just grab the tail and move up and down until it's lined up.

Heading out to the garage to ride to work this morning I was shocked at how much something that simple cleaned up the rear end.

The one caveat of taking the tail and bobbing it like that is that you realize just how high up the fender truly is situated. It definitely begs for a drop in the rear now.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
when u do your t mod and led strip toss the modified taillight on here for sale. might get a few bucks for it and i think its a pretty inovative mod to just put in a box.

let someone else enjoy.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
True, at this point the whole assembly plugs into the factory harness and bolts in. Good idea!

T-mod done with the T-hug tail tuck :p

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's where I admit a major mistake - I had no way of knowing just how far the rear would drop with some weight on the back. I bounced until the cows came home but you just can't replicate riding two-up with ruts in the road.

If you do something similar - save yourself a tire and flare out the bracket a bit. I'm going to end up chopping off the end loop up to the actual nut mount plate. That loop dug into my rear tire on the highway. It wasn't doing it with both of us on there sitting when I had someone check along with a good bounce. Full extension though was different story.

I stopped for gas and got off and wanted to check to make sure that the tire wasn't getting rubbed at all. I found a groove dug in from the bar. It was hot to the touch as well. I grabbed a squeegee and used the handle to leverage it out quite a bit from both sides. It's not rubbing at all now but the damage is done. I'm getting a new tire on Wed. when I take in the bike for warranty repair for, of all things, an oil leak in the engine.

Find your biggest friends and have them sit on the thing to get full extension or use a ratcheting tie-down to pull the rear ALL the way down on a lift. Don't make the same mistake I did.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got back from picking up the bike from the dealership for warranty repairs on the oil leak. The service manager was there when I got my inspection done o Saturday. He asked what in the hell I did to destroy the rear tire so much. Apparently I was just short of the cords in the tire. A new tire is on order and I'll be cutting the loop off that bracket. Make sure you do the mod to the tail AFTER you drop the fender if you're going to do it!

It all ended safely but please be careful.

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
I think you need to cut the rest of it and pick up a side mount to really clean up the ass end.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd love to but this state of Live Free and Die has a strict requirement for being able to see the plate from 45* from both sides. I'm going to end up raising the drop a little too. It appears that the tire was rubbing a touch on the plastic and not just the metal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts