Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to take the back wheel and hub off? It's mainly the hub I'm wondering about, is the parts going to come flying out? Or Fluid?
Just don't want to pay the dealer 200 bucks just to take the wheel off and put back on when I can just do it myself!!

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
How hard is it to take the back wheel and hub off? It's mainly the hub I'm wondering about, is the parts going to come flying out? Or Fluid?
Just don't want to pay the dealer 200 bucks just to take the wheel off and put back on when I can just do it myself!!
Removing the rear wheel is easy, now the rear shaft drive is filled with gear oil if you plan on removing that.
If your only removing the wheel nothing is going to come flying out.

Here's some pic's
View attachment 3768 View attachment 3769 View attachment 3770 View attachment 3771

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
Thats a pretty BLACK Fury!!!!

The hub it self can come off also and will not leak any fluid it is all an enclosed unit. I Went ahead and took mine off when I had to do my rear tire. was going to paint it, but the rain stopped and the sun came out, and I was itching to ride

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
to continue from video

after the caliper assembly is out of the way
hold the wheel and completely remove axle.
move wheel to the right to clear the hub and slip it out from under the bike.
you must have the bike lifted high enough for the wheel to clear the fender

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx for the info guys, was wanting to powder coat the hub along whith the rims but it sounds like it would be easier just to paint it :) I'll get some pics posted once I get it done in the next couple weeks!!

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
From another thread :
Remove wheel
remove the bolts and rubber cover (left side)
remove the nut and torque arm and bushing
remove the layout bolt (left side in front of axle)
pull final drive ass. and drive shaft rearward to remove.
remove drive shaft from gear case by gently turning and pulling shaft.

A few tips :
Make sure the bike is lifted and secure, I use the Sears YELLOW ATV/cycle jack.when you remove the weight from the rear, the front may shift.
The video is a good start on removing the wheel. Get the brake out of the way, remove the spacer, pull the axle all the way out to the left, the wheel is mated to a drive flange, and will not come out yet. move the tire/wheel to the right side and drop down for removal. It is heavy and awkward.
Keep the final drive in an upright position, or 80 wt will leak out the vent tube.
If you have stock exhaust it will be easier to remove the mufflers (only, not the pipes) so you can access the brake stopper bolt (8mm allen). Recommend getting an 8mm allen for a ratchet wrench.
If you do not have the right socket or box end wrench to loosen the axle bolt, and use a big ole crescent, be very careful as it is easy to chip the paint in that area.
And most of all, when you put the wheel back on, make sure you grease the crap out of the final drive to drive flange union.
Feel free to PM me with ??s

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
Thx for the info guys, was wanting to powder coat the hub along whith the rims but it sounds like it would be easier just to paint it :) I'll get some pics posted once I get it done in the next couple weeks!!
I have had 3 different people wanting me to disassemble their finals for P/C, when I told them how much they all chose paint. The entire final has to come apart, all bearings seals etc. have to come out. Then new put in after the P/C, and if the coater coats the wrong area, more labor to remove the paint. It take quite a few special tools to do, and then reset the gears.

·
Registered
211 Posts
From another thread :
Remove wheel
remove the bolts and rubber cover (left side)
remove the nut and torque arm and bushing
remove the layout bolt (left side in front of axle)
pull final drive ass. and drive shaft rearward to remove.
remove drive shaft from gear case by gently turning and pulling shaft.

A few tips :
Make sure the bike is lifted and secure, I use the Sears YELLOW ATV/cycle jack.when you remove the weight from the rear, the front may shift.
The video is a good start on removing the wheel. Get the brake out of the way, remove the spacer, pull the axle all the way out to the left, the wheel is mated to a drive flange, and will not come out yet. move the tire/wheel to the right side and drop down for removal. It is heavy and awkward.
Keep the final drive in an upright position, or 80 wt will leak out the vent tube.
If you have stock exhaust it will be easier to remove the mufflers (only, not the pipes) so you can access the brake stopper bolt (8mm allen). Recommend getting an 8mm allen for a ratchet wrench.
If you do not have the right socket or box end wrench to loosen the axle bolt, and use a big ole crescent, be very careful as it is easy to chip the paint in that area.
And most of all, when you put the wheel back on, make sure you grease the crap out of the final drive to drive flange union.
Feel free to PM me with ??s
Fantastic help. bike just rolled 3K and tire has screw in tread. Have to replace. Your help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Something to consider:

I took my final off for chroming
It comes back, put drive shaft back in final and send it up the hole getting the splines lined up with the universal joint. All went well and I bolted up the final.
The other day I was just reading thru the service manual and it says, "make sure the universal joint is seated fully on the output shaft". Pull back the rubber boot and check.

For kicks I did.....guess what wasn't even on the output shaft. Sounds stupid, I know, but it all went together so easy, never dreamed there was a problem upstream. Takes 10sec's to check.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Removing Rear Wheel

Removing the rear wheel is easy, now the rear shaft drive is filled with gear oil if you plan on removing that.
If your only removing the wheel nothing is going to come flying out.

Here's some pic's
View attachment 3768 View attachment 3769 View attachment 3770 View attachment 3771
Attachements and video no longer active:(
Wondering if you need to remove stock exhaust to get rear wheel off? Dealer quoted $175 to replace front and back tires on bike or $60 if I bring wheels in. (I supply the tires)

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
Attachements and video no longer active:(
Wondering if you need to remove stock exhaust to get rear wheel off? Dealer quoted $175 to replace front and back tires on bike or $60 if I bring wheels in. (I supply the tires)
You do not HAVE TO, but it is easier with the pipes out of the way, also you do not have to remove the entire set of pipes, you can just remove the muffler and leave the front pipes on the bike.

·
Registered
438 Posts
You do not HAVE TO, but it is easier with the pipes out of the way, also you do not have to remove the entire set of pipes, you can just remove the muffler and leave the front pipes on the bike.
Thanks Clueless!
Great having an expert on his forum!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts