Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, yes I am back again with some more photos. This time its the tank bib which is on the bike and completed.

Had it cut from 1.2mm stainless steel (2B) and then slowly beat it to the shape of the tank. This took about 3 hrs, just took it slowly and kept trying it on the tank to see were it needed more hammering. Used my old faithful block of wood with a dish sanded into it and also made another one with a straight curved channel (1/2 pipe) sanded into it. These dishes and pipes only need to be about 10 - 15mm deep.

The hammer I used was a nylon faced, pictured below, which I put a clean curved face on with a dreadnought file. This face only needs to be slightly curved as mine made a million small dents on the surface. These sanded out ok with 320 w&d thru to 600. Then a coarse cut buff and a finish buff.

It is held on with 12mm 3M automotive moulding double sided tape. Sticks like s&*%t to a blanket. It is about .5mm thick so I spent a fair bit of the time panel beating getting the area around the cap to sit down nearly perfectly.

I can supply these, FLAT, it would not be economical to sell them beaten to shape, for around $65 each, $85 with your design. I already have about 6 designs (mine is number 10). Postage is very expensive but if 10 people got together it would only be about $8 each and I could send them to a single address.

Enough talk, here are some photos.

This is one of the first designs, it started as a medi-evil axe.

Here is the trusty firewood panel beating shop, with the bib partially beat.

And what you have all been waiting for, the finished product.....

The overall bike with both rear guard and tank bibs on...

And a couple of close ups so you can see the tape and fitment to the tank.

Well thats about it until the next mod .... starting to run out though ... but still have to adapt a pillion seat to the current setup so I guess that will be next.

Cheers
Guy
PS I better change this sign off photo ... no more girl on my tank!

·
Registered
25 Posts
That is phenomenal! I Want some!! Now you need to figure out how to make like 20 sets for everyone that wants some now lol

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Hi Guy,

Well done! How much detail can you get to with the cutting?

Cheers

Gary

·
Premium Member
4,750 Posts
Absolutely stunning, great job on these!!! Yeah you better get to making some because your going to have a lot of people wanting some lol.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks all for the comments.
I am seriously considering making these to sell, even beaten to shape. I am traveling to the east coast for 2 weeks, will be back at the end of the month (no Fury :() but that will give me time to come up with a few decent designs to choose from. We can't have every bike looking the same. My son wanted a dragons tail on the guard winding up into its head on the tank with the scales etched into it. Bloody dreamer!

I was thinking of the standard themes such as Maltese cross, skulls, flames?, smooth curves and whatever else you guys can think of. The cutting leaves about a .5mm cut so it is very fine and cut outs in the bibs are possible, such as names with fancy fonts, skulls etc. If I can draw it in AutoCAD then we can cut it. Remember though that the edges on complicated cuts cannot be sanded smooth really easily and may have to stay with the burnished finish the water jet leaves.

The rear bib is made from 3mm SS. For those with a L&M seat pan and the T-Mod it should bolt straight on with a bit of reshaping of the top of the pan. As it is made for the standard Fury and with the T-MOD plus the extra 3 - 5mm lift you get from the bib would just about make the pan fit perfect on the T-MOD and not noticeable on the standard bike. The vinyl etc wrapped under with a bit of overhanging foam should cover the extra 3mm gap if there is one.

As this work is all hand done it will take a few days to complete each set, I can only turn out 2 pans ever 3 days but I will make another pan this week and then rip the vinyl off my current one to use as a template for the rest. I also work full time so this will all be done after hours and on weekends. Luckily I have a spare tank and rear guard to use to get the shapes correct.

Thought about the front guard as well but I run the L&M one and it has a hard ridge right down the centre, not very conducive to panel beating. The original guard though from memory is a smooth curve and a small bib could be made for this.

If you have any design ideas, pictures etc of something then email them to me and I wil try and incorporate it into a bib design.

Post any requests, pictures etc to [email protected] Don't use the PM on this forum as I never get round to viewing it and it is cluncky as hell.

Cheers
Guy

Another picture, love that seat profile.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
WOW!!! Absolutely beautiful!!!:eek::cool::D

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
You're building a completely one-of-a-kind Fury there... hat's off to you! Looks great!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Can you make a mold with your gas tank, and then use it on a press to bend the bibs to the tank shape? This will at least get the bibs closer to the tank shape, and you could just finish up and make it look good. might save you 2 hours from the 3 that it's taking.

In any case, your bibs (both tank, and fender) look awesome. Great job.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts