Honda Fury Forums: banner
1981 - 2000 of 2019 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
So i had previously done the cobra baffle mod in this link: http://www.furyforums.com/forum/fury-tech-performance-chat/82010-swap-modified-cobra-baffle.html
then i decided to quiet her down by inserting a bolt to close up the center drilled hole. well, after the reflash the pipes seemed to have quieted down a bit so i decided to remove the center plug bolt to have the exposed center drill hole back.. after taking for a spin yesterday the bike feels faster.. is this a placebo effect or could the reflash have been running a bit rich and now with the center drill hole back open, the mixture leaned a bit and now operating faster.. i did have gas smell at idle although i also had this in the past with the FI2000r..
I'm definitely happy with the new results, just curious as to the why.. thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the tips! I still haven't passed the break in period, with all my time spent at work over the past month and mandatory overtime (12 hr days) till the end of September, but at least in that time I'll be able to stockpile some cash so I can pick up quite a few things to do to the bike during winter, and get some fall riding in during October, but i appreciate that, getting to really know the bike first so I'll probably save the flash till the winter months, and won't even consider the PC5.
Lost password back into my memory banks and change of occupations and passed the break in period on the stock setup finally I’m back and I got the flash from Don and the pipes from Nate at SLK and the cobra air filter and damn I gotta say this is the best setup anyone could ask for, the customer service with Don was wonderful, as well as with Nate and SLK-CUSTOMS, you guys are the best conglomerate of people with awesome advice!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Think we should all start referring to our reflashed bikes as #woke

·
Administrator
3,674 Posts
A bit of history: Thanks to Ken's generosity I have the very first re-flashed ECU in my bike, which is quite the honor. As if that's not enough, Ken and Don made my dream of having "every potato I can get" become reality, and I have the lowest idle of any Fury to date, which is a complete symphony of mechanical music. (I'm stoked.)

ECU settings are found in the Reflashed thread, and I mentioned a slight stalling issue that occurred during unusually hot weather (which is being ironed out) in the Lowest Idle with No Stalls thread.

I wanted to answer the question, "What's it like driving the bike?" After a few months of getting used to it here's a little insight:

• The idle speed is low. Incredibly low. When listening to 660 RPM videos it's apparent how much lower this bike idles. A lot of skill went into putting the idle right on the edge of what a stock engine can do, and it shows.
  • The idle is super quiet. @Rope sent me his Cobra fart cans and idle was...let's say "noticeable"--like everyone noticed the bike. Don smoothed out the idle, and with less fuel burning per unit time the exhaust note is close to as quiet as stock.
  • Starting from a dead stop means rolling on the gas the exact right amount at the exact right time while smoothly letting out the clutch. Too little gas and the RPMs drop, and that's probably going to result in a stall. Too much gas and the bike is possibly leaving without you, which brings up the next point:
  • There's torque everywhere, from right off idle to the rev limiter--it gets a little weak at the top end, but the stock map had an absolute drop-off in power before bumping up against an unusually high red-line, now there's a smooth roll-off before hitting an insanely high red-line for a big-twin. Can you say "Blows that built S&S engine away?" Yeah, it's that fast. The Fury gearing coupled with a high RPM limit makes every gear bend the road beneath you.
  • The torque is usable down low too. Ever hear a Harley chatter below 2,000 RPM? They may idle low, but the drivetrain probably doesn't like to be lugged, and the compensater (known in modern times as a vibration damper) is straining to the max. Not the Fury, which pulls cleanly from 630 RPM, regardless of which gear it's in.
  • The sound is incredible. If you're gentle, it's quiet. If you use the torque down low, you get a full-sized tomato-juice can of slamming thud! every time a spark lets loose, which reverberates off everything in sight. If you wind it up--well, it's terror beneath you, around you, and throughout the neighborhood.
  • The throttle is touchy. The engine has a lot of range and power, so the whole rotation of the throttle grip is sensitive. You get used to it, and are ever-mindful of what lies beneath.
  • Throttle cut is brutal. Accelerate, pull the clutch and let completely off the gas. The resulting drop in RPM shreds the air. It's so fast and sharp people can't help but stand in awe at the sound that grips them.
  • Deceleration is mean. Do you have to stop? Really? Click down two gears while giving it a little gas and ease out the clutch, then cut the fuel. Ho-ly-shit. It's not just the fuel cut sound, but the tire straining to fight the engine and the engine resisting. The engine goes into battle, and does everything in its power to vanquish the speed and return to idle, and it's no slouch.
  • It's fast. The bike is light, at least compared to any Harley. And low. And thin. And incredibly long. It's a crazy night of sex with a stranger who has purple hair, too little clothing, and too many tattoos.
There it is, in a nutshell. Take that to bed with you and dream about it--it's enchanting, don't deny it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Voiding your warranty

I'm pretty sure all the newer bikes getting flashed have voided the factory warranty, plus I would bet at 660 rpm the oil pressure is bouncing off of zero!:3ek:

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I'm pretty sure all the newer bikes getting flashed have voided the factory warranty, plus I would bet at 660 rpm the oil pressure is bouncing off of zero!:3ek:

@AV8R covered this quite well. He installed an oil pressure gauge on his Fury, and has the reflash. I don't remember what he set his idle at, but he verified that oil pressure is fine.

At 660 the oil pressure drops all the way to 60psi.>:)
Exactly

Reactions: Kbuskill

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,993 ·
I love assumptions and bets... lol

Especially when all the info has been covered and is out there just waiting to be read.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I love assumptions and bets... lol

Especially when all the info has been covered and is out there just waiting to be read.
200 pages, I saw the test on the oil pressure so I got my answer and satisfied with it.
The first thing Ford tech's do on warranty work is to check for mod's so they don't have to pay, several of the latest post on these last pages are people with new bikes getting the mod.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,995 ·
200 pages, I saw the test on the oil pressure so I got my answer and satisfied with it.
The first thing Ford tech's do on warranty work is to check for mod's so they don't have to pay, several of the latest post on these last pages are people with new bikes getting the mod.
This original thread just recently got bumped back up to the top.

I created a condensed version with all the pertinent info on this subject that can be found at the link in my signature.

Here... https://www.furyforums.com/forum/fu...t/67354-holy-grail-ecu-reflash-condensed.html

In case you can't see my signature... I know it doesn't show up depending on how some people are viewing the forum... I.E. tapatalk, PC, mobile site, classic version, new version, etc.

·
Administrator
3,674 Posts
The standard factory warranty on a Honda is 1 year, and there's really no reason to pay for an extended warranty given how reliable Hondas are.

A solid plan is during the first 2 months figure out what you want to change (mirrors, pegs, seat, etc.). During the next 10 months change out those parts that won't affect the warranty. After a year get the ECU flashed. It's that easy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seriously considering this ECU flash on my 2010 Interstate. I do have two questions:

1. I have a set of Cobra 2-2 Speedster Slashdown pipes on it, but with the stock intake. Is it worth getting something like a Cobra Powerflow intake (before reinstalling ECU post-flash)? Or will I not see much difference with that over just leaving the intake stock to make it worthwhile?

2. The Guhl website and these threads seem to imply I should just send my ECU to Don without contacting him first. Is that correct? Or should I call him first? Want to be sure about the procedure he prefers.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,000 ·
Seriously considering this ECU flash on my 2010 Interstate. I do have two questions:

1. I have a set of Cobra 2-2 Speedster Slashdown pipes on it, but with the stock intake. Is it worth getting something like a Cobra Powerflow intake (before reinstalling ECU post-flash)? Or will I not see much difference with that over just leaving the intake stock to make it worthwhile?

2. The Guhl website and these threads seem to imply I should just send my ECU to Don without contacting him first. Is that correct? Or should I call him first? Want to be sure about the procedure he prefers.
Answered your PM.

1981 - 2000 of 2019 Posts