Honda Fury Forums: banner
1961 - 1980 of 2019 Posts

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
I want to do the flash with a stock setup. Should I? Negative aspects? I am leaving it stock from a financial standpoint, but would like a lot of the other benefits. Please advise. Thank you.
ECU Reflash will have no ill effects with stock setup, however, the full benefit of the reflash will not be achieved. Noteably, air flow both in and out are limited with stock mufflers and air intake, although you could change the filter with K&N and drill some holes in the cover. Taking the baffles out of the stock mufflers would also benefit performance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
ECU Reflash will have no ill effects with stock setup, however, the full benefit of the reflash will not be achieved. Noteably, air flow both in and out are limited with stock mufflers and air intake, although you could change the filter with K&N and drill some holes in the cover. Taking the baffles out of the stock mufflers would also benefit performance.
Ok, I was actually considering putting in the K&N filter, so I will pull the trigger on that first. My bike is still new (2017 with less than 500 miles) but this site is addicting and once I found this thread, I was hooked!

Where do you recommend the holes being drilled? Also are people happy with the stock baffles removed?

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Ok, I was actually considering putting in the K&N filter, so I will pull the trigger on that first. My bike is still new (2017 with less than 500 miles) but this site is addicting and once I found this thread, I was hooked!

Where do you recommend the holes being drilled? Also are people happy with the stock baffles removed?
Personally speaking, I have not modified either stock air intake or exhaust, so I'm about as much help as tits on a fish.
Do a search for the relevant topics, since there are members who've done both. Kbuskill modified his intake and AV8R has a modified stock exhaust, I'm certain there are many more.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry if this has been answered already but I see people posting with 2017 model year bikes, does this flash work for that year as well? I emailed Guhl motorsports with that question and I received the email stating the 2010-2015 model specs of the flash. If it will work I would go right now and mail that ecu in immediately! I've got exhaust from SLK comming and looking at the best options for air intakes, and was looking at the PC5 or the Cobra, but seems like this flash offers the best of the best plus not having to tweek things to get that 750rpm idle :D

·
Registered
958 Posts
Sorry if this has been answered already but I see people posting with 2017 model year bikes, does this flash work for that year as well? I emailed Guhl motorsports with that question and I received the email stating the 2010-2015 model specs of the flash. If it will work I would go right now and mail that ecu in immediately! I've got exhaust from SLK comming and looking at the best options for air intakes, and was looking at the PC5 or the Cobra, but seems like this flash offers the best of the best plus not having to tweek things to get that 750rpm idle :D
It will work.. there are no changes post 2015 to the ecu/engine design.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,967 ·
First off.... there is no way to lower the idle with any other fuel controller... people have tried to do it with the PCV by taking fuel out at idle but the ecu over rides this via the IAC valve and you end up running lean at idle which, if you know anything about engines, is never a good idea. Now that that is out of the way. I always recommend riding the bike in stock format for a month or two so that you become very familiar with how the bike acts and reacts to differing conditions, by doing this you will appreciate the minor nuances of the reflash better, the big difference in power is easy to recognize but the more suttle things like throttle response would be less noticeable unless you have a good base knowledge of how the bike is stock.

The reflash will work on any VT1300 including the 2017 as Honda hasn't changed anything except the colors since its inception in 2010.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
The Fury's ECU and engine configuration is unchanged from 2010 through current. The reflash will without doubt be a performance/driveabilty improvement regardless of year. My idle is set at 660...potato...potato....potato.:grin:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the tips! I still haven't passed the break in period, with all my time spent at work over the past month and mandatory overtime (12 hr days) till the end of September, but at least in that time I'll be able to stockpile some cash so I can pick up quite a few things to do to the bike during winter, and get some fall riding in during October, but i appreciate that, getting to really know the bike first so I'll probably save the flash till the winter months, and won't even consider the PC5.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yes... mine... lol.... thats why I said I will be doing some Dyno runs and sending him the results to see what tweaking can be done... he said that everything he saw in the ECU was typical to the way Honda restricts all there bikes with ignition and fuel and because he does so much with the other Hondas I figure even a generic flash is worth it... once we get it dialed in it will be even better.
I emailed for details and didn't get a reply. I'll try again, hopefully hear back this time.
Sounds like a great way to tune the motor vs add-on parts

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts

I would appreciate some feedback on this question also. I've got the K&N filter but have not modified my intake housing at all to let it "breathe easier" for fear that it would contribute to leaning out the fuel/air too much. And I seem to remember something said in a string months ago. Am I correct? When I finally break down and send for the reflash, is that one of things that Guhl takes into consideration when setting the new parameters? Kbuskill ? I know you did made some mods to your airbox... what is your advice?

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I would appreciate some feedback on this question also. I've got the K&N filter but have not modified my intake housing at all to let it "breathe easier" for fear that it would contribute to leaning out the fuel/air too much. And I seem to remember something said in a string months ago. Am I correct? When I finally break down and send for the reflash, is that one of things that Guhl takes into consideration when setting the new parameters? Kbuskill ? I know you did made some mods to your airbox... what is your advice?
Not knowing your bike setup it's hard to answer some of that.

Here's an overview:

If you're running factory programming, stock air filter, you can get away with putting aftermarket pipes on. 2-2, or 2-1, etc. Or drill/remove the baffles of the stock setup. This will not do anything performance wise for you. You will get the tone, and a bit less backpressure, but nothing that should do any harm.

If you're running factory programming, leave the filter alone. The stock programming is meant to run with a stock filter. You open up the breathing at this point yes, you will push more air through the engine, and yes, you will have the capability to flow more air and increase engine performance, but it won't do a lick of good without fuel mapping, and you run the risk of running the engine lean depending on how much you open the stock intake. Lean is not good.

You can do pipes pre ecu/fuel controller, but don't mess with the air intake side of things. You need to be able to regulate the correct fuel mixture for the air that you will have moving to get the most efficient, powerful burn.

Don takes this into consideration when you send your ECU in to be flashed. You'll tell him your pipes and intake setup. You could stay stock, but to get the entire benefit of the reflash THIS is when you want to open it up. Get the pipes (or open up stock), purchase your intake (or modify the stock to be hi-flow), and then install everything when you get ECU back. Follow the re-learning process of the bike and then you're good to go!!

I can't tell you about modifying the stock airbox, but there are definitely a lot of options out there when you go with one of the adapters sold that can bolt on just about any intake. Or you can mod those same intakes to work with our configuration if you don't want to spend the money on the adapter.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Good stuff... thanks. I am running with Cobra Swept pipes and the stock air box w/ the K&N filter. I won't touch anything else till I am flashed over the winter! When I got the bike, the PO had been running with the baffles removed. Too loud for my taste so I reinstalled the baffles and it seemed to improve how it was running as well reducing the dizzy-bells to a more subdivision friendly level. Thanks for confirming what I thought I knew! Now I just have to figure out what I want to do with the air intake - mod or replace. Lots to pick from.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,976 ·

·
Registered
3,769 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Has the "Reflashers Exposed" thread been erased?? Haven't been able to find it to register my inclusion on the list. When I spoke with Don Guhl he mentioned that they are reflashing "tons of Furys" ! I guess the list was just getting too darn long?! Or am I just getting too darn stoopid?? :confuzed::dizzy:

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Has the "Reflashers Exposed" thread been erased?? Haven't been able to find it to register my inclusion on the list. When I spoke with Don Guhl he mentioned that they are reflashing "tons of Furys" ! I guess the list was just getting too darn long?! Or am I just getting too darn stoopid?? :confuzed::dizzy:
Exposing Myself as a Perv

1961 - 1980 of 2019 Posts