Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a few that come most easily to mind. I'm sure there are many more.
Things that make you crash:
Looking down
Looking at what you do not want to hit
Failing to look where you want to go
Braking in corners
Using the front brake in parking lots
Do I have twenty years of experience or one year of experience twenty times?
Every ride is a lesson. Thinking about how I could have done it better afterward is the homework.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Cars pulling out in front of you, hitting the brakes and just sitting there is another one. I locked up the back brake and slid into the front of the car. I went over the hood. My first thought was my bike, so I jumped up off the ground and ran over to it. I was so young and strong back then.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Cars pulling out in front of you, hitting the brakes and just sitting there is another one. I locked up the back brake and slid into the front of the car. I went over the hood. My first thought was my bike, so I jumped up off the ground and ran over to it. I was so young and strong back then.

When I was young, I was making a left turn. There was a car behind me and a car behind it....the car behind it decided to pass just as I turned left....needless to say, nothing I could do but jump straight up from the pegs....I did and landed on her hood.....like you, I was totally concerned about my bike, not me...

I've gone down twice from dogs. Once from a mutt that ran in front of me and flipped me over. The other was from a Doberman Pinscher that decided I was challenging prey...he angled on me from a yard as I was going about 25mph and jumped up and bit me on the thigh and hung on....I was approaching an intersection and trying to beat the dog off of my thigh.....I laid the bike down, the dog trotted off as proud as could be....got stitches from the bite and threatened the owner that I was gonna cut it's head off.....she kept it contained and claimed it was a gentle dog (as it was trying to tear through the storm door at me when I was talking to her).....I actually like Dobes....they are good dogs and I have to hand it to the one that got me.....:cool:

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
A bird flying into you, LIghtning striking you, Slick road way, Goat or any other animal running infront of you, Your wheel falling off of your bike, High crosswinds, being wasted while riding, seeing boobies while trying to ride, There are lots of things that can make you crash, main thing is staying ontop of your training to help prevent it

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
The small size of motorcycles catches even the best of motorists off guard. Just a simple law of optics where bigger and brighter is better.

Second only to ...
LOL!!! Haven't had the opportunities some have in spotting those elusive objects while riding:(:(:(:(:(

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At a stoplight pointed uphill my inattentive self left it in second gear. Light turns green and I lurch forward and engine dies. Now, instead of the rear tire accelerating me it tries to stop me while bike and I continue forward. At 2 mph I was able to recover the bike if not my pride while dozens of pedestrians watched the dummy (me). Now I'm really careful to be sure it's in 1st gear when stopping until it's absolute habit. Different bike, new distractions to overcome. The only guarantee against crashing a motorcycle is to avoid riding them but Lord, if I go down please don't let it be my fault.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
a ton of things can cause you to crash, thats why the more time on your bike the better, and staying ontop of maintnance/safety checks is important. As i said before, my MTII instructors told us You are just learning stuff to get through the class and show your capible of it, beyond this it is up to you to practice it and continue learning which can be done with more classes or spending time riding with other people. About once a month I go to a local park and just ride around, practice tight turns, swerving stopping, starting, speed compensation, and whatever else i can think of. Granted it isnt real reactions but hopefully it will build enough of a reactive instinct to cut the chance of being in a serious accident.

·
Registered
53 Posts
a ton of things can cause you to crash, thats why the more time on your bike the better, and staying ontop of maintnance/safety checks is important. As i said before, my MTII instructors told us You are just learning stuff to get through the class and show your capible of it, beyond this it is up to you to practice it and continue learning which can be done with more classes or spending time riding with other people. About once a month I go to a local park and just ride around, practice tight turns, swerving stopping, starting, speed compensation, and whatever else i can think of. Granted it isnt real reactions but hopefully it will build enough of a reactive instinct to cut the chance of being in a serious accident.
This is absolutely the best advice!
As soon as I drove away from the dealership, I
headed to a shooping mall parking lot (it went under with the economy) and practiced the above info....

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
old folks that didnt see you and yung girls yakking on cell phones.
I pulled up next to a girl one day that was "yakking" and I yelled at her to get off her cell phone. Don't think I've ever seen anybody jump that much and hang up the phone all at the same time... :cool::cool::cool:

seeing boobies while trying to ride,
Almost got into a wreck one day into the back of a parked car, by the beach, as a girl walked by that was drying off after getting out of the ocean... :eek:

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
I pulled up next to a girl one day that was "yakking" and I yelled at her to get off her cell phone. Don't think I've ever seen anybody jump that much and hang up the phone all at the same time... :cool::cool::cool:
I need to start yelling at dumbasses on the street. The other day I was rollin' down the right lane and some dumb punk in the left lane started to swerve right over into me. The stupid bastard didn't even look; he just started to turn. I had to lock up the back brake, but no accident happened. I thought about it later and wish I would've yelled at him and threatened to beat his ass if he didn't start paying attention. Wish I would've had my pocket full of pennies to throw at his ass.

·
Registered
207 Posts
It was said before but I would like to reiterate.....boobies.....yes, they are out there and they might distract you. Always remember, when you see them, lay off the throttle and keep one eye looking forward! :D

She isn't going to be impressed when you are horizontal laying on the pavement or wrapped up in the top of a spruce tree!

boobs.jpg

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
It was said before but I would like to reiterate.....boobies.....yes, they are out there and they might distract you. Always remember, when you see them, lay off the throttle and keep one eye looking forward! :D

She isn't going to be impressed when you are horizontal laying on the pavement or wrapped up in the top of a spruce tree!

View attachment 2605
I think that might be why WildBill goes to hooters so much, Practice at avoiding that distraction....

·
Registered
21 Posts
LOL yeah definitely T&A!!!

Seriously though, I was riding along minding my own business in the left lane when jacka$$ in the right lane decides they need to turn left and not only looks over her shoulder but continues to come on over as I'm laying on my horn. She crosses the left lane and goes right into the left turn lane cutting off another car in the process. As I rode past her, I got close and kicked her side mirror off.

Scared the shyte out of her, and the bikers parked at the coffee shop watched and cheered.

I'd say target fixation and panic cause most accidents on bikes where they are the only vehicle involved.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I hear that. It just seems sometimes that no matter how loud your bike is or even if you are layin on the horn you are just invisible sometimes.

I always try to not ride in blind spots and always pick where I ride on the road but there are times when you just can't in heavy traffic. It usually seems that when that woman starts to change lanes and when she is halfway into your lane and then she shoulder checks you can see the F'in cell phone glued to the side of her head....yea, they aren't distracting at all:mad:

We are moving legislation though here in Alberta that will ban cell phones while driving.....I can't wait for that to happen. Will make the roads safer for everyone! I am sure though that 'hands free' device sales will skyrocket!

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I almost got hit by a peacock today..... I m starting to think its time to move into the city where i just have to worry about dumb people instead of animals and dumb people.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I almost got hit by a peacock today..... I m starting to think its time to move into the city where i just have to worry about dumb people instead of animals and dumb people.
For a second there, i thought you were using "peacock" as a description of a young girl who was primping and chatting on a cell phone. Its not every day someone almost hits a peacock. A wild turkey .. sure .. but a peacock?

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
For a second there, i thought you were using "peacock" as a description of a young girl who was primping and chatting on a cell phone. Its not every day someone almost hits a peacock. A wild turkey .. sure .. but a peacock?
I live in the country, we get stray peacocks, Stray goats, horses, chickens, cats, dogs, wild pigs, stray pigs, Gators, Iguanas, Snakes, Racoons, possoms, mice, rats, Rabbits, ducks, turkey, Walking catfish, you name it, it comes out in the road way at one point or another.

when it was still relatively rural here we would get pet hogs getting out and chase the dirtbikes until they stopped then start scratching against the knobby tires.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts