Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the stock air cleaner with the Cobra. It feels like it sticks out more than the stock, but didn't measure before the mod. I have searched the postings and only the S&S depth was discussed -- said to be 1/2 - 1" deeper (sticks out further).

Does anyone know if there are air cleaners that are thinner than the stock one? Or have measurements different cleaners?

Thanks

John

·
Registered
724 Posts
It seems to me that any air cleaner other than a spike would stick out less. From pictures I've seen, it looks like the Cobra would not stick out as much. You could probably hold the stock one up in front of it and see if you can tell a difference.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I know for sure that the cobra powerflo doesn't stick out as much as the oem one.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Thinnest is the Barons Big Air kit.
This is correct!
That is the reason I got it. My knee rests at the same height as the filter.

Better view.

I am very happy with it. And it's not plastic. You can hear it sucking in the air.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Mrbyber and Fishman! My problem is that just I got 3" forward control extensions and the Cobra air cleaner, and never counted on having to bend my leg around the air cleaner to get to the brake side. I had my right hip replaced, but it was no problem with the stock controls and air cleaner. Just a bit cramped. It hurts my hip to make the new stretch and bend around the air cleaner. So this could save me from having to take the extensions off. Much easier to replace the air cleaner and be able to stretch my 34" legs out.

Wonder if I could ask another favor before I order the Baron. It's hard to get a measurement on how deep these are with all of the angles. But if I measure from the tube frame below the tank right between the cylinders straight out and then sight down, the Cobra sticks out about 8". Could you tell me how far the Baron sticks out? Would really appreciate it.

Thanks again,

John

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
If you look at my second pic you can see that it does not stick out any where near 8"!
maybe 5" at most. If I remember I will measure it for you.
I also have the 3' extended and my leg does not touch the intake unless I purposely rest it against it.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I have the stock foot controls and a L & M adapter with a spike and I don't have issues with my leg hitting the spike I hit the rear cylinder more than anything, I'm 5' 11" and have some pretty long legs and even if I did have forward controls I would think that the rear cylinder would still be the issue and not the air intake.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey Mrbyber,

Did everything you needed come with the Barons kit or did you buy that black mount separately? And did you need a fuel controller with those cobra pipes?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mrbyber -- Sounds perfect. Nice bike! I was looking at the Baron so hard I didn't notice that I've looked at your bike over and over in the past.

I've got a Matte Silver too. Black Cobra Swepts, Accutronix Diamond (black) controls, and soon the Baron (I think smooth). Talked to you about the C&C seat which I will also get. Think we are both 6'5". I was waiting to see how the forward controls felt before I got the seat. Wish I would have asked you about the air cleaner earlier and saved myself some $$$$$$.

Obviously you have good taste:)

Did you put the Baron on yourself? If so, how hard was it.

John

PS Anything else I should know? Have been looking at that bag for months. Never noticed you risers. Do they bring the controls much closer to your hands? I have a 37" sleeve so just about perfect with the stock seat and stock set up. But hear the C&C may sit you back a little.

Thanks again

·
Registered
193 Posts
You'll need an adapter (Barons didn't have one when I bought mine last year) if you don't want to see what's behind it. Personally I need a small cover from a piece of SS so that when you look down from the seat you don't see the works.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see what you mean about a cover. Doubt I could use the one that came with the Cobra because it attaches to the air cleaner.

I was looking at a posting from about a year ago on throttle body covers -- L&M vs Accutronix. MrByber was not happy after he initially installed the Baron. Then was looking at Mrbyber pictures. It looks like he did the Accutroix cover, which seems fine.

The cover appears to attach under a large nut on the frame. Any problems removing the nut to stick the cover on? Don't want the bike to suddenly break into two pieces and it looks like an important bold:)

Does the throttle body cover go on before the Baron, or can you do it afterwards? I'll call Baron to make sure they don't have one yet and probably order the Accutronix. Any other suggestions?

Thanks to all

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good chance I'll have to call them for the cover anyway. They started packing them in about 2 months ago. But I'm getting the Baron from SS Cycle which is about $45 cheaper and includes shipping. If the cover isn't there, Baron said they would send me one. You should call and see what they can do.

Wonder if they sell just the covers for the air cleaner. Got the smooth but might want to change it out occasionally.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts