Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I know most of you like I think I do, you'll not give a shit about this subject, but I think a few of you may and I currently have no one else here to talk to about it.

I'm in another forum discussing time travel and a few of those guys brought up something I have never heard before and it makes absolutely no sense to me. Of course time travel is not possible, but IF it were, these guys are saying that if you travel back to the past, you'll wind up appearing in empty space because the earth would not be there anymore........????????.......... What the hell kind of sense does that make? The whole reason for going back into the past is to see things as they were, WHERE they were.

I've not received a response yet, but my last argument was this: If we were able to “quickly” physically travel to a point in space where we knew the earth was going to be 40 years from now, there would be nothing but empty space, correct? If we travel through time, 40 years into the future, then we should arrive at the time and place where the earth would be. If we travel “with” time, we end up there 40 years from now. If we travel “through” time, we skip over 40 years and instantly arrive at that same point.
So, right now, the earth is “here”. 40 years from now, the earth is, or will be “there”. Same as the past. Right now, the earth is “here”. 40 years ago, the earth is, or was “there”.

So which one makes more sense to you who may be interested in this subject? Don't fear to post opposing opinions. It's not necessarily your fault if your wrong.

·
Super Moderator
2,804 Posts
Their premise is ludicrous.

If at time T1 an object is at position P1,
and at time T2 position P2 a time traveler manages to travel to T1-n P2,
and in time (n) travels from P2 to P1,
the object must be at position P1 at time T1.

The problem they face is Einstein's Theory of mass–energy equivalence e-mc^2 incorrectly coupled with the Law of Conservation of Energy has been bastardized to imply both: 1.) Time slows to a stop at the speed of light. 2.) Going faster than the speed of light is not possible due to mass (m) increasing to infinity.

They are then asking the question, "If speed is increased faster than the speed of light, would time reverse?"

Obviously the answer is two-fold: Yes, Faster Than Light travel is possible. No, time does not reverse.

Denying rational reasoning necessitates irrational explanation.

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Their premise is ludicrous.

If at time T1 an object is at position P1,
and at time T2 position P2 a time traveler manages to travel to T1-n P2,
and in time (n) travels from P2 to P1,
the object must be at position P1 at time T1.

The problem they face is Einstein's Theory of mass–energy equivalence e-mc^2 incorrectly coupled with the Law of Conservation of Energy has been bastardized to imply both: 1.) Time slows to a stop at the speed of light. 2.) Going faster than the speed of light is not possible due to mass (m) increasing to infinity.

They are then asking the question, "If speed is increased faster than the speed of light, would time reverse?"

Obviously the answer is two-fold: Yes, Faster Than Light travel is possible. No, time does not reverse.

Denying rational reasoning necessitates irrational explanation.
Not sure from where you copied all that from, but the "T1 n P2" stuff doesn't make any sense to me. Also, unless the science books have changed since I last read them, you cannot travel at or beyond the speed of light, but the faster you travel, the slower time progresses for you. That much has been proven.

·
Septuagenarian Rider
4,151 Posts
Don't you guys have a job and work to do ??? My excuse is retirement and looking for distraction before I get on my elliptical exercise machine.
BTW, Superman established long ago that time travel was only possible for him, and Lois if he was carrying her in his arms :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
2,804 Posts
If at Time 1 an object is at Position 1,
and a time traveler at Time 2 Position 2manages to travel to Time 1 - (1 hour), andstill at Position 2,
and within 1 hour travels from Position 2 to Position 1,
the object must be at position Position 1 at time Time 1.

so,

If on Wednesday at noon Goat wants to travel back in time to Monday at noon,

the Earth has orbited around the sun a bit more (by two days),

so Goat puts on a space suit and travels back in time to noon on Sunday, the day before Monday.

On Sunday the Earth is in orbit of the sun, but where it was on Sunday.

Also on Sunday at noon Goat is in orbit of the sun, but where he was on Wednesday.

Goat now has 24 hours to travel from his location to where the Earth will be on Monday, noon.

Goat hits his jet-pack boosters and is off.

24 hours later it's Monday at noon, the Earth has orbited 1 day further along it's path, and Goat has traveled

to meet the Earth, touching down outside Bartos. He's starving, and pissed himself, because he's been in the

suit way too long. (He also needs to shit really bad.)

:wink:

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If at Time 1 an object is at Position 1,
and a time traveler at Time 2 Position 2manages to travel to Time 1 - (1 hour), andstill at Position 2,
and within 1 hour travels from Position 2 to Position 1,
the object must be at position Position 1 at time Time 1.

so,

If on Wednesday at noon Goat wants to travel back in time to Monday at noon,

the Earth has orbited around the sun a bit more (by two days),

so Goat puts on a space suit and travels back in time to noon on Sunday, the day before Monday.

On Sunday the Earth is in orbit of the sun, but where it was on Sunday.

Also on Sunday at noon Goat is in orbit of the sun, but where he was on Wednesday.

Goat now has 24 hours to travel from his location to where the Earth will be on Monday, noon.

Goat hits his jet-pack boosters and is off.

24 hours later it's Monday at noon, the Earth has orbited 1 day further along it's path, and Goat has traveled

to meet the Earth, touching down outside Bartos. He's starving, and pissed himself, because he's been in the

suit way too long. (He also needs to shit really bad.)

:wink:
If time travel is possible, why would I not just travel back to Noon Monday? Why go back an extra day?

·
Super Moderator
2,804 Posts
If time travel is possible, why would I not just travel back to Noon Monday? Why go back an extra day?
Put simply if it's 9AM and you're at home, and you get on your motorcycle and drive 1 hour to another city, and you (just you) get in a time machine and go back 1 hour in time, you'd now be in the other city at 9AM, but your motorcycle would be at home. 1 hour later at 10 AM you and your motorcycle would drive up and want to go back in time. The idea is "you go back in time," not "you go back in time and somehow also in location." So if at 9AM you're at home, and at 10AM you're at 1223 Electron Avenue, and you get in a time machine and go back 1 hour, when you step out of the time machine you're at 1223 Electron Avenue, at 9AM.

If you want to be at your house at 9AM, you could stay home, or:
1.) Drive to Electron Ave, arriving at 10AM.
2.) Time travel back to 8AM, and step out of the time travel machine at 1223 Electron Avenue, at 8AM.
3.) Take an Uber or Lyft back to your house, arriving home at 9AM (since the drive to your house takes an hour).

We now consider the Earth is moving through space in an orbit around the sun.

Say you wanted to be at Barto's at noon on Monday, to meet some sexy chick who slid in from out of town and took a liking to you during lunch. It's now noon Wednesday, and the Earth has traveled 3.206 million miles since noon Monday. If you go back in time 2 days, you're in the same spot as you were at on noon Wednesday, and Barto's is 3.206 million miles away. Crap.

So, you float there in space for two days, waiting for the Earth to travel 3.206 million miles. On Wednesday at noon it has, and you wind up back at your impoverished hill, starving and dejected, because that fair lass has left town two days ago, and you were just hit by a planet doing 67,000 mph.

That's the problem with time travel on TV and in the movies, somehow they magically wind up in the same place as they were some time ago. But the Earth is traveling through space, so they'd only wind up at the time they wanted, not the place they wanted.

·
Premium Member
2,690 Posts
Hmm. I see what you are saying, they are divorcing time from space, so changing one implies that the other never changed, creating duplicates, and whatnot. As if time is a separate overlay of things in the physical world. My feeling is that you can't have one without the other, as they rely on each other for their own measurements-can't be changed.

The tricky bit with that thought is that each time travel would create a new start to the time thread, erasing everything that happened after your new do-over. Including anything you learned along the way in the now-erased time flow. So possibly no benefit to active, moving events, like stopping a crime; all the influencing factors COULD change themselves, throwing off timing, desire to commit, reintroducing the chance of mechanical failure or other human interventions, weather factors like dust blowing up and interrupting some other aspect. Even on minor, more static things like 'dammit I left my keys on the table', this would still not work.

But this is all out-loud rambling and opinion outta me.

There's a pretty good movie about time travel called 'Time Crimes', it's low budget but they do a pretty good job keeping the continuity of time travel.

Plus there are boobs.

·
Super Moderator
2,804 Posts
The tricky bit with that thought is that each time travel would create a new start to the time thread, erasing everything that happened after your new do-over.
That's where the "Faster Than Light" travel implying "going backward in time" idea falls apart. They come up with "infinite parallel universes," but the fact is there's only one universe, and it's easy to prove.

----

A photon of light is ejected from the sun at the speed of light and hits @Goat, who's on Earth at his impoverished mansion on the hill. He sees the light, and is hit by the light, and kind of actually enjoys it.

We know the photons hitting Goat don't have infinite mass because he's not crushed. The theory of mass increasing as one approaches the speed of light is crushed, however.

----

Goat takes a train so he can see Hedgehog at his lab and help prove Faster Than Light travel is possible. People along the tracks who see Goat pass by think he's doing so at about 40 mph. Goat, who's moving at a constant speed, feels nothing and walks around inside the train as if it's not moving. To Goat, the people outside the train seem to be moving at about 40 mph, but he's drinking a bourbon as if he's not moving at all. Goat knows speed is relative to the observer. The people watching Goat pass by think they're "standing still," but they're hurling through space at 67,000 mph.

Arriving at Hedgehog's Underground Testing Institute, Goat shines a flashlight at Hedgehog in the interest of science. Light hits Hedgehog at the speed of light. Hedgehog then shines a light at Goat, the photons are also traveling at the speed of light. If photons are heading from Goat toward Hedgehog at the speed of light, and photos are heading from Hedgehog toward Goat at the speed of light, the photos are heading toward each other at twice the speed of light. Goat and Hedgehog have proven Faster Than Light travel is possible.

----

Goat designates his photons as the relative reference point, meaning Hedgehog's photons are traveling at twice the speed of light. Goat says it makes sense, because if he and Hedge were both driving cars toward each other at 40 mph, to Goat the things in the car would look stationary and Hedgehog would appear to be approaching at 80 mph. Hedgehog notes that if his photons were traveling at twice the speed of light they'd be "going back in time" according to the theory of time travel, and Goat's photons wouldn't yet exist, so Hedgehog would not have Goat's light shining on him--but Goat's light does shine on him, so the theory of time "going backwards" has to be false, there aren't infinite universes, and there aren't infinite Goats visiting Hedgehog in need of bourbon.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Time travel and teleportation exist. They are alien technologies that the secret government programs are hiding. Take a look into the stuff that was going on in Montauk before they shut it down.

·
Premium Member
13,552 Posts

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's where the "Faster Than Light" travel implying "going backward in time" idea falls apart. They come up with "infinite parallel universes," but the fact is there's only one universe, and it's easy to prove.

----

A photon of light is ejected from the sun at the speed of light and hits @Goat, who's on Earth at his impoverished mansion on the hill. He sees the light, and is hit by the light, and kind of actually enjoys it.

We know the photons hitting Goat don't have infinite mass because he's not crushed. The theory of mass increasing as one approaches the speed of light is crushed, however.

----

Goat takes a train so he can see Hedgehog at his lab and help prove Faster Than Light travel is possible. People along the tracks who see Goat pass by think he's doing so at about 40 mph. Goat, who's moving at a constant speed, feels nothing and walks around inside the train as if it's not moving. To Goat, the people outside the train seem to be moving at about 40 mph, but he's drinking a bourbon as if he's not moving at all. Goat knows speed is relative to the observer. The people watching Goat pass by think they're "standing still," but they're hurling through space at 67,000 mph.

Arriving at Hedgehog's Underground Testing Institute, Goat shines a flashlight at Hedgehog in the interest of science. Light hits Hedgehog at the speed of light. Hedgehog then shines a light at Goat, the photos are also traveling at the speed of light. If photos are heading from Goat toward Hedgehog at the speed of light, and photos are heading from Hedgehog toward Goat at the speed of light, the photos are heading toward each other at twice the speed of light. Goat and Hedgehog have proven Faster Than Light travel is possible.

----

Goat designates his photos as the relative reference point, meaning Hedgehog's photons are traveling at twice the speed of light. Goat says it makes sense, because if he and Hedge were both driving cars toward each other at 40 mph, to Goat the things in the car would look stationary and Hedgehog would appear to be approaching at 80 mph. Hedgehog notes that if his photos were traveling at twice the speed of light they'd be "going back in time" according to the theory of time travel, and Goat's photons wouldn't yet exist, so Hedgehog would not have Goat's light shining on him--but Goat's light does shine on him, so the theory of time "going backwards" has to be false, there aren't infinite universes, and there aren't infinite Goats visiting Hedgehog in need of bourbon.
Stay off my thread, you dumb bastard.

·
Super Moderator
2,804 Posts
^^^And that's what happens when you don't have Maker's Mark bourbon and offer something else to grumpy old goats.

:winetime:

Goat Notes:
Goats get bored and lonely when alone. It is never a good idea to just have one goat, you need at a minimum two goats. Two does or a doe and a wether (a neutered male goat) or a buck and a doe, if you are ready to start a little herd. They huddle and cuddle, they eat and they sleep together. And no, a human, even though much-loved, cannot substitute as a companion. A lonely goat will climb on cars, get into your garden, and sit on your porch or escape. A lonely goat will be a noisy goat, because they will call for a companion.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Time flies like an arrow... fruit flies like a banana. :winetime:

·
Super Moderator
2,804 Posts
Time flies like an arrow... fruit flies like a banana. :winetime:
Moses had the first tablet that could connect to the cloud.

A couple years ago my therapist told me I had problems letting go of the past.

An old teacher asked her student, "If I say, 'I am beautiful,' which tense is that?" The student replied, "It is obviously past."
@Rope told me he's great at multitasking. He can waste time, be unproductive, and procrastinate all at once.

The doctor once told me, "Hedge, I got some bad news for you. You've got six months to live."
I said, "Six months? Doc, I won't even get your bill by then!"
Doc says, "OK, I give you a year..."

Why do the French eat snails?
They don't like fast food.

I was visiting my mom at the retirement center when a random woman said, "My son came to visit for summer vacation."

I kind of laughed and said, "How nice! Did you meet him at the airport?"

She replied, "Oh, no. I've known him for years!"

1 - 20 of 25 Posts