Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Washing Fury & noticed the torque arm on left rear below shaft & swingarm was loose!Never noticed it before. It rocks side to side when i grab it. Unsure if this is normal. Attempted to tighten mounting bolts but they are tight! Maybe the bushings inside are worn already {1700 miles} Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Washing Fury & noticed the torque arm on left rear below shaft & swingarm was loose!Never noticed it before. It rocks side to side when i grab it. Unsure if this is normal. Attempted to tighten mounting bolts but they are tight! Maybe the bushings inside are worn already {1700 miles} Any thoughts?
I just went to the basement and checked mine and it is "loose" as well. I have 6200 miles on mine. I'm thinking that the looseness is supposed to be there. It only moves on the non thrust, side to side. Mine is tight on the thrust, up and down direction. Good catch, way to feel her up. I have had mine since March and I never noticed it before. :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
I was asked in a PM about my previous response, I am no engineer but this is my answer
"The arm is mounted with bushings and shoulder bolts that allow it to move as the swingarm travels up and down, if you were to have some one jump up and down on the bike as you looked at the torque arm, you would see it stays in place relative to the movement of the swingarm, the final drive moves a small amount, the arm prevents it from spinning with the wheel. No one has mentioned it or noticed it but with the engine off, if you push a a VT1300 forwards and back, there will be a distinct click (clunk) as the final moves in the housing and the arm stops its movement. It is basically the same as the brake mounting, the brake bracket uses a pivot bolt that allows some movement but holds the bracket in place. "
Once the shoulder bolt has bottomed out, the bushing is free to move, if the front end of the arm were to be tightened down tight, there would be binding in the arm

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
there will be a distinct click (clunk) as the final moves in the housing and the arm stops its movement.
click or clunk?? mine does a clickity clunk.....

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
I just checked mine. very little wobble; then, I noticed that my left rear lens was missing from the light module. wtf--i removed the lock screw and the tab was still attached.
me-thinks I been punked.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
The Shaft bows and moves

Funny but this is the 3rd shaft drive, FURY, SECA AND VMAX bike Ive have owned and I believe that when you twist throttle that the shaft actually bows a bit to transfer power to the rear drive and that the motor can flex: Vmax has almost triple horse power of Fury and they would ad anti twist bars to frame so motor would twist frame/shaft drive so much, also the SHAFT robs 3-5 horse power from crank....:eek:
And as stated by Clueless the other factors.
P.S. New a old HD guy who died on a Harley when his chain broke/sprocket bolts sheered on Highway and wrapped around rear tire some how causing him to flip out and he was D.O.A. The shaft is so safe us old timers go for safe....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts