Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first of all, hello everybuddy! i've found a ton of great info on the forum, so thanks.

i'm beginning the plunge into motorcycles. i've never rode one before, but have wanted to for many years. i have several friends who ride and am a bit jealous. ;)

just got my learner's permit on Saturday, but it will be a month or so before i can get into a Basic Rider Course. several people have told me to buy a cheaper bike to learn on, but one of my friends bought a Street Bob as his first bike...

i'm really getting obsessed with the Fury. is it insane to choose it as my first bike?

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
I think the fury is one of the easiest to ride bikes out there. People tell you to get a cheep first bike because of the tendency of newbees dropping them. And also if you don't like riding as much as expected you wont lose much money on a used bike. But if you take the Corse and know you will enjoy ridding. The fury will be a great first bike

·
Registered
34 Posts
first of all, hello everybuddy! i've found a ton of great info on the forum, so thanks.

i'm beginning the plunge into motorcycles. i've never rode one before, but have wanted to for many years. i have several friends who ride and am a bit jealous. ;)

just got my learner's permit on Saturday, but it will be a month or so before i can get into a Basic Rider Course. several people have told me to buy a cheaper bike to learn on, but one of my friends bought a Street Bob as his first bike...

i'm really getting obsessed with the Fury. is it insane to choose it as my first bike?
Hello, and welcome Bigmetal. I to was a newbie in 2009. I walked into the dealership last July. I asked the salesman to suggest something for a novice. And when I say novice. Thats exactly what I was. He walked me over to the used bikes. Sat on a few. Then headed straight for the fury! And the rest my friend, is history! I am the proud owner of a 2010 limited edition. It had 2.1 miles on it when I signed for her. And now has approx. 1002.1 miles on her. And I am enjoying every last moment, and excited about the next. Having it on the road. I could not have chosen a better 1st. time bike. I urge you to make the same commitment. You will love the results! Your new forum friend "CLUTCH"

·
Registered
112 Posts
...several people have told me to buy a cheaper bike to learn on...
It is very interesting! The people in Germany think the same! :rolleyes:

"You have your new driver's license? Then buy an old motorcycle first!" Nonsense! My first bike was a brand-new Suzuki Boulevard S50 (VS800 Intruder in Germany). Two years later I bought a VS1400.

A new bike is much safer! Brakes and suspension are at the cutting edge of technology. And! Can you a "Fury" command, then you can take EVERYTHING :D

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I also ignored the buy used or cheap bike to start and got the Fury. My thinking was why spend 5-8k on a bike ride it a season maybe two then try to sell it to get what you want. I said screw it and got what I wanted. This bike is soo easy to ride. Before you buy I do suggest a test ride, make sure the feeling you get inside stays with ya outside.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also ignored the buy used or cheap bike to start and got the Fury. My thinking was why spend 5-8k on a bike ride it a season maybe two then try to sell it to get what you want. I said screw it and got what I wanted. This bike is soo easy to ride. Before you buy I do suggest a test ride, make sure the feeling you get inside stays with ya outside.
that was my thought. just need some reassurance. i'm itching to buy it now... but i should really wait until after i take the course. if i test drove it now, i'd probably wreck it. a friend offered to ride it home if i decided to get it before my class.

there's two places in driving distance of Cleveland that currently have the Matte Silver in stock and i'd hate to miss out... although black is cool too.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
You can't get much cheaper or easier to ride / test than say a Honda Rebel (250 cc I think) However if you ride ANY amount of time you will outgrow that bike FAST and yearn for something bigger. Fury is an easy bike to ride you just need to get used to the turning dynamics and make sure you can handle the weight of it to prevent an accidental spill.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
It looks as if this forum is going to be popular this year. The Fury is such an easy win as far as bikes go, it cant be helped.

Welcome, as i too just formally joined this forum. Youll find lots of helpful info and helpful folks to help you out. Just from my reading here and talking to the salesman, the Fury does make for a nice bike for a starter. Its not too fast, and as mentioned above, as long as you consider the turning and weight, you ( and i ) will be just fine.

As a fellow permit holder, i would say to just wait until you finish the course before you buy. My course here on LI is a 5 stage course, with the 5th course being a real life street ride. Whos to say that i dont lay the bike down and have the life scared out of me. Granted, the bike im training on is a 125 .. but it can still happen. I honestly dont expect that to happen, so i went out and bought my first helmet and jacket & put a $100 soft deposit on a Blue Fury. If your afraid that the stock your local stealership has may be depleated i would suggest that you do the same. The deposit is refundable, and my salesman assures me that if they do sell the one Blue they have on the floor, he can simply make a phone call and get another in with in a few days.

Congrats, welcome, and good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Keep the stock question in mind most of all as I recall seeing a thread a few days ago that as shops run out they are out for awhile, period.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Keep the stock question in mind most of all as I recall seeing a thread a few days ago that as shops run out they are out for awhile, period.
yeah, i had made mention of this to the salesman on Sat. He told me not to worry ( in that NY kinda way ) and that i would have my bike. I work in Queens NY which is 30 miles in the opposite direction and they too have a Blue in stock. I then asked if they do dealership trades if needed, and he just rolled his eyes. I just want to ride agian, that i really could live with the other colors, but Blue is my first choice.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, i had made mention of this to the salesman on Sat. He told me not to worry ( in that NY kinda way ) and that i would have my bike. I work in Queens NY which is 30 miles in the opposite direction and they too have a Blue in stock. I then asked if they do dealership trades if needed, and he just rolled his eyes. I just want to ride agian, that i really could live with the other colors, but Blue is my first choice.
honestly, half the reason to get a bike is the "cool factor," how it makes you feel, etc. getting the color i want is a big priority for me. if the supply of the Matte Silver bike dries up, i'd consider a black one (maybe wait for ABS), but I really like the black wheels on the Matte bike. i wouldn't have lots of extra money for chroming rims and repainting the bike for a long time.

these salesmen are such snobs sometimes, especially at some of the HD dealerships. i didn't even mention Honda and one guy was right of the box bashing the metric system. lol. pretty much ruled out a Harley for me.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Beater bikes are awsome to learn on incase you drop it, so you can careless and just learn from your mistakes and keep the bike legal rather than spend decent amounts of cash each time something happens.

the Fury is an ok bike to learn on, but there are better depending on the type of riding your doing (alot of intown type stuff a Shadow, sportster, the smaller Yamaha's, or smaller Suzuki's all make great beginner bikes for that) Taller bikes help with learning better balance control for slow stop and go riding. Overall though the fury is a very good riding bike, but not really something great for developing many skills on since it rides effortlessly except for tight corners

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
It was my first bike too... and well... 1800 posts and 12.5k miles later... still chugging away :D

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
If you decide on the Fury, spend a lot of time riding in neighborhoods to get used to the feel. When you’re ready to hit the open road, spend a little more time in the neighborhood. Learn how the bike handles and you’ll be fine. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Actually, large cemetery’s are good places to learn tight turns at slow speeds.
I didnt even think of that, I usually use community parks right around my neighborhood (during weekdays is best), take slow tight turns carefully so i can catch the bike if need be, progressively get the feel of the braking, and all the fun stuff.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts