Honda Fury Forums: banner

Touring with an extra tank of gas

3K views 55 replies 12 participants last post by  macxpert 
#1 ·
Going on a trip with a 410km (255 mile) stretch between gas stations. Hopefully this will do it!

3.7 liter (1 gallon) Rotopax, 7.6 liter (2 gallon) Giant Loop gas bag and a 2 liter (1/2 gallon) Touratech fuel canister in a 5.11 Tactical pouch.

Usually only need the 2 liter filled for emergencies and the Rotopax for more remote areas. The gas bag can be rolled up for all but the long stretches.

If this works, the Fury could do the Dalton or the Dempster if gravel isn't a concern! :concerned:

Think I'll continue to avoid gravel if possible though.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Plant
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Motorcycle Automotive lighting

See less See more
#6 ·
#3 ·
With that extra fuel you have another tank of fuel. On the highway I can get between 200 and 240 Kilometers before the fuel light comes on so if you take it easy and start with a full tank at the last fuel station you should make it. Of course there might be a few kilometers towards the end of that stretch where you question yourself if this was such a good idea...

#4 ·
I think you're good on fuel, but you may not have enough carabiners to make the journey ;)

Not sure I'd want to run the Dalton or Dempster on a Fury... aren't those major trucking routes used primarily in the winter?

#5 ·
Those roads have been featured on Ice Road Truckers and are usually run in the winter. Both can be done in summer provided there isn't too much rain to turn them into muck. I'm pretty sure the only reason the adventure touring crowd do them is so they can say they did. Very remote and fairly straight and boring. Apparently so is Route 40 in South America but that doesn't seem to matter as much as being able to check it off a bucket list. I guess if I had the time and money I would do the same. If I could, I would try it on the Fury just because people would say you couldn't and I'm stubborn that way!🤣 If Charlie Wiesel can do the Road of Bones in Siberia on a Harley chopper, someone should try this stuff on a Fury!!

After riding every state west of Texas from Mexico to Canada, I decided to go North and have made it to the start of the Dalton outside of Fairbanks, AK, the start of the Dempster in Dawson City, YK, Yellow Knife in the North West Territories, Fort Mackay in Alberta, La Roche and La Ronge in Saskatchewan, Flin Flon and Thompson in Manitoba and hope to cross Canada and do the Trans Labrador highway this summer.

As I approach the big 60, my window on these trips is getting smaller so I have to do them before I can't!

#28 ·
Google maps on your cell phone is useful but needs data to find them.

I'm a fan of the Garmin motorcycle GPS units and have a Zumo 590LM. This unit has since been discontinued. There is a "search along route" feature that is indispensable for finding the next gas station within range.

The dedicated motorcycle GPSs are virtually indestructible and very waterproof. The satellite connection has only failed me in extreme overcast conditions. Best feature for me though is that I can use the Garmin Basecamp program to plan the routes over the winter and then download it to the GPS when I go on trips. They usually come with both a handlebar and vehicle mount.

Now with Android auto or Apple carplay, the phone is better in a vehicle.

Hope this helps!

#33 ·
I also like it but this will be my first time using it. I'll give a review when I'm back. From what I read, the Armadillo bags retain some odor after they have fuel in them so you wouldn't want to pack it inside a bag with your clothing. In Canada they are not officially rated for fuel storage whereas the Rotopax is. I would have preferred the 1 gallon gas bag but I didn't think that would give me enough fuel for the long stretch.

#41 ·
I pull over after the light comes on. Usually I can get 150 miles between fillups, but if I am in the 'happy go-go-fun-righthand-twist' mode, sometimes it comes on earlier :D

#43 ·
From the open sky, wheat fields of the prairies:
Cloud Sky Plant Road surface Tire

To Icebergs off the coast of Newfoundland:
Cloud Sky Water Tire Wheel

And back via the remote Trans Labrador Highway and the infamous Quebec Highway 389:
Sky Land vehicle Tire Cloud Wheel

Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle Vehicle

Home after 9 Provinces, 18,270km and 42 riding days:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Window

And the high beam filament burns out in my headlight! Flipping Hondas! Just can't rely on them.
Liquid Drinkware Bottle Water bottle Fluid

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.