Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally was able to test the long haul capabilities of my bike with a 5 day 4 night 3,200km (2,000 mile) treck through Montana, Idaho & Washington.

Verdict:

• Properly equipped one can easily log 800+ km (500 mile) days.
  • The Fury can carry enough gear (provided you don't have a passenger and you do have a friend who will carry the tent)
  • The Fury gets incredible gas mileage (57 mpg (imperial gallons) which makes the puny tank still get an impressive 260km (160 mile) range
  • The Fury may not be a sport bike but corners are still a rush

Now that I completed my first annual long haul, I feel comfortable saying I don't need the old 1100 Spirit any more but still might keep it as my daily work commuter.

Anyone else have experiences to share from some long haul trips?

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
Nothing with that kind of distance for me. 225 is my top day so far. Looks like your running the Honda Vector seat. How’d that feel?

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
I would love a trip like that unfortunatly with a 4 year old and 3 month old, I can only get wawy from home for a weekend for personal trips, and that is few and far between. Longest haul on mine was 350 miles for a business trip. what kind of sissy bar is that?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I finally was able to test the long haul capabilities of my bike with a 5 day 4 night 3,200km (2,000 mile) treck through Montana, Idaho & Washington.

Verdict:
Properly equipped one can easily log 800+ km (500 mile) days.
Spud, you are, beyond question, the King of Fury long-haul! And what a great area to ride through. Can you sit down yet? LOL.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Ok your 500 KLM beats my 320 KLM in a day but your right these bikes haul on longer trips. 260 K per tank is about right to as I get 210 K before the light just starts to come on and then it is about 9.5-9.7 litres to fill up.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nothing with that kind of distance for me. 225 is my top day so far. Looks like your running the Honda Vector seat. How’d that feel?
At middle age, I have found that I expect a higher level of creature comforts and had more issue with the tent than the seat!

I woud say the vector seat is almost identical to the stock seat for comfort. For me it fits fine but a short coffee break at fill ups were not turned down:)

Aesthetically I like it a lot better than stock.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok your 500 KLM beats my 320 KLM in a day but your right these bikes haul on longer trips. 260 K per tank is about right to as I get 210 K before the light just starts to come on and then it is about 9.5-9.7 litres to fill up.
On my 1100 Spirit I was getting about 50mpg (imperial gallons) so fuel injection offsets the extra engine size amazingly well. At 260K I was beginning to wonder how hard it would be to push the bike though!:) Gas station looked like an oasis at that point!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spud, you are, beyond question, the King of Fury long-haul! And what a great area to ride through. Can you sit down yet? LOL.

Cheers
That is amazing country with beautiful roads. When out there I think I'm in heaven! And I prefer my bike seat to my office chair anyday:) Now if I could only find away to get paid on the bike seat.

·
Registered
784 Posts
That's a nice looking bag you have,are you able to us it as a backrest?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I would love a trip like that unfortunatly with a 4 year old and 3 month old, I can only get wawy from home for a weekend for personal trips, and that is few and far between. Longest haul on mine was 350 miles for a business trip. what kind of sissy bar is that?
Business trips! I would take more of them if it meant riding the bike. I think I would be too distracted exploring new roads to remember why I was there though!

I could go on forever about my dissapointment with the availability of sissy bars. All I want is a detachable sissy bar back rest with attached luggage rack. Paladin, Kuryakyn and Jardine make them, but just not for us!

So I took the do it yourself approach and made this out of 3/4" plywood, 2 - 3/8" bolts and 2 - bungee nuts and the OEM backrest and sissy bar. I wouldn't leave it on the bike without my T-Bag because I don't like the look. But it was great for raising up the sissy bar 6". All you need to do is attach the extender to the stock sissy bar with the bracket that comes with the back rest pad and the 3/8" bolts and attach the back rest pad to the top of the extender using the bolts that come with the back rest pad. Total cost - less than $20 and time.

Now for version 2 of the prototype I would suggest not cutting the indentations on the sides as in coming up with a name for this "fly off the shelves" product, the only names we could come up with were along the lines of "dildo", "dong" and "big dick". Obviously our design team needs to fine tune this product:eek:

However, I share the photos and template with all of you in the hopes of someone convincing a manufacturer to make a product that not only "works" but also looks good.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a nice looking bag you have,are you able to us it as a backrest?
You can lean back against it but an added pad or pillow higher on your back is needed to still reach the bars with my arms. I have the Cannella riser but it is still a stretch if you are completely leaned back.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Spud you are my hero! :)
I hope I can give as good a report.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
A ride thru Montana sounds awesome. Loved my time up there. Good idea w/ the backrest sissy bar rack. Stickman has a great looking sissy bar on his Fury.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Spud you are my hero! :)
I hope I can give as good a report.
A ride thru Montana sounds awesome. Loved my time up there. Good idea w/ the backrest sissy bar rack. Stickman has a great looking sissy bar on his Fury.
Stickman,

Are you planning a long ride?

Skappiris mentioned your sissy bar. Is there a pic on here somewhere?

I have ridden in Montana many times but I find the south and western parts of the state the most spectacular and highway 20 to the coast is worth doing over and over.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Thanks guys! Yes, I have a plan to cover over 6,000 miles in the coming weeks. I'll post up a page when it gets close....

There are some pictures of the bar undr my nickname and it was entered in last months FOM

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys! Yes, I have a plan to cover over 6,000 miles in the coming weeks. I'll post up a page when it gets close....

There are some pictures of the bar undr my nickname and it was entered in last months FOM
Your Ginz sissy bar looks great! Did you have any issues installing it? i.e. how did you come up with the position, bolting to the fender frame, and locate the holes for the fender? I know - lots of questions but I am assuming with the generic mount there were no templates etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts