Honda Fury Forums: banner

Upgraded my bars

19K views 60 replies 26 participants last post by  kdm1230 
#1 ·
It's taken me a while to post pics because I would rather ride. :) I snapped a few picks yesterday while I was riding. I installed 16" apes with dog bones and cut up the factory bars to make my one off speedometer mount to reuse the factory speedo.

I am pleased with the end results. I like the look and the ride.

See less See more
#4 ·
I have pics from the entire process I can post later. The speedometer mount developed as I played. I originally was going to mount just the speedometer (without any covers) in a leather tool bag mounted above my headlight. Thanks to Victrix for the idea. But after I mounted the bars I was playing with the top chrome cover and just started cutting it and everything fell into place. I will get the pics up later.

#6 ·
Excellent, I was goin the same route (with mini apes) but opted out because of the speedo problem. I like the original speedo and want to keep it.

Also, I'm with Austones on this one... waitin to see some closeups of the speedo mount.

Lastly, was the knurling on the bar (the two areas of the bar where the risers clamp onto) done by a custom shop? or how did you work that since the Fury's risers spacing is different?

#7 ·
Thanks guys.

Old Dawg, the bars came already knurled and the actually fell out right wear I needed them. I will have close up pics of them when I post the pics of the speedo. Not close to the speedo pics or I would post the. LOL. Will be Sunday evening before I can post them.

#15 ·
You are correct. I did have to extend the wires to the hand controls. I used access controls/fire alarm wires because of the small gage and stranded. The top connections are soldier jointed together with individual shrink wrap and I used Molex connectors on the bottom by the triple tree so that if I ever needed to remove the bars I can just unplug the wires. Wrapped the molex connectors in plastic, then electrical fusion tap and finally some electrical 33 tape. Should keep the water out. :D

I took a lot of pics and will post them Sunday.

#18 ·
Yes it is. 215/45-18 I have no issues with it. I have been darksiding for a long time.

Well, my home computer and photobucket doesn't want to geehaw tonight so I have the pics of the speedo build on my thumb drive and will load them at work tomorrow.

#21 ·
Well, you pulled it off!! NO GAY!!! I've seen some fury's that look dumb with ape hangers but this works!! Can you send me the link to the were you got yours, so i can browse around? =)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

#26 ·
OK, here goes nothing.

Parts used.

Riser were a gift from my buddy EJ. They were 6" risers and were for 7/8" bars. He purchased them off Ebay. Since they were a gift I was bound and determined to use them. I had a machinist buddy cut them down to the customer length I wanted. (I determined that by mounting the risers on my bike and holding the handler bars at the height I wanted, not sure of the exact height of the riser, they are true custom. :D ) I also had my machinist buddy open them up for 1" bars.

I bought the bars off Ebay from Fay Myers Motorcycle World for $56.90 shipped.

Once I had the risers and bars mounted I measure for my custom cables. I ended up needing 8" added to both throttle cables, 10" added to the clutch cable and 14" added to the brake line. I purchased the 3 cables from Motion Pro for $124.35 shipped and the brake line came from Speigler Performance Parts for $81.15 shipped. Both companies were great to work with and they already had the factory fittings and specs so they just added the length. Was very simple to order.

While I was waiting on the cables was when I started playing with the speedometer and stubled across my solution.:) I realised that the top chrome cover almost fit between my risers. Since I wasn't going to use it I had nothing to lose if I cut it up. I started trimming it with my drimmel until it would slide between the risers. To actually get it over the bars I had to remove the top riser clamps, hook the cover over the bars and reinstall the riser clamps. I then test fit the pod to see what kind of clearance I had. with plenty of room to work, or so I thought at the time. I then cut the buttom black pastic cover to fit inside the risers. The following pics of of the assembly at that point. I also discovered that the factory speedometer harness would still reach as well. Bonus for me.:D

Pod installed without a moutning bracket.

#27 ·
Continued

Since I am a rather cheap guy, I decided the best place to find a mounting bracket for the speedometer was the factory bars. I like my sawzall.:D

Bracket on the back of the pod.

Making the bracket fit. :)

More sacrificing of the factory bars.

Making sure that it will work on a 1" bar.

#28 ·
Continued

I used some clay to determine the distance of the offset I wanted.

I used 1/4" key stock for my stand offs. My buddy Matt doing the honor of sticking them together.

Finished product

I found out once I fitted it that the angle was slightly off. I cut a "V" in both pieces of key stock and bent it back to the correct angle. I then filled the remaining crevice with JB Weld. Didn't want to risk drawing the angle of from welding up the crevice.

#29 ·
Continued

I also used JB Weld to attach a nut to each end of the bracket to hold the side covers I would make to cover up the gap that the factory bars would cover.

My mounting kit.:D

I used some cardboard to make the templets for my side covers.

I made some temporary covers out of gasket material. I plan to find some black plastic and will use some black screws for the finished product. But this got me rolling for now.:D

I will post close ups of the cables and the finished bars latter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.