Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having owned my bike for a little over a year, I got to thinking about getting a different bike more for touring rather than cruising. I visited both the Honda dealer that sold me my bike and a Harley dealer.

When I bought my bike--the second one sold in Virginia--in May of 2009, I paid just over $15,000 for it because I purchased an extended warranty and roadside assistance/breakdown coverage on top of the bike. The dealer (Coleman Powersports in Falls Church, VA) offered me $7400 on trade.

The Harley dealer complained about how hard it is to sell Metric bikes, especially at the end of the riding season. They at least were willing to up the ante a little for the nearly $3,000 in accessories on the bike by offering me a whopping $7,800.

I can get $11,000 for it selling it outright (according to Kelley Blue Book) with the equipment I have on the bike, but I would rather not go through the hassle.

DEALERS SUCK!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Dealers are in the buiss. of selling NEW not used ....they only take trades if they can make a buck (This goes for cars, boats, trucks and yes Motorcycles).............;)

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Dealers take trade in's to make a profit. You can probably squeeze a few extra bucks selling it yourself, but you have to consider the hassle of dealing with it. What’s your time worth?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of more bad news ... but your not going to get 11K for it privately. If you watch the Furys on Ebay, they arent selling for much more then what the dealerships have offered.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
When I bought my bike--the second one sold in Virginia--in May of 2009, I paid just over $15,000 for it because I purchased an extended warranty and roadside assistance/breakdown coverage on top of the bike.
Damn ..... I paid abut 13K with tax included out the door. I did not get a warranty extension cause that's some B.S. anyway. I put about another 5-6K into my fury and I do not anticipate trading it in or selling it. I know I would not get what I put into it but that's kool because my ride feels and looks incredible to me. I'm sad to see that you are having thoughts of trading it in, however, you gotta be happy. I'm the type of person who would just walk into a dealership (as I have several times) and just trade in whatever to get whatever, but that's just me. I hate to hassel with people and rather have a dealership do all the nec paperwork, even though I know I'm losing a little.
Good luck with your decision. I hope you did not dump a lot of $$$ into mods bro cause that would just suck! Trade it in for another Honda, maybe a Goldwing. Could be a possibility that they could work a better deal even though they only said $7400.

Take care!

Larry

·
Registered
889 Posts
I put mine back to all stock when I traded it in and I got 8k from the harley dealer. If they'll match it, take it. The value isn't gonna go up....

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
Value

It is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay... that goes for anything

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Dealers always try to buy low wholesale and sell high retail. They are in the business of turning capital at a higher rate than the cost of capital, no matter what they are selling. If you are going to do a dealer trade see if you can do it with the dealer who has your new bike, that way he only has to make money on one side of the deal. The Kelly Blue Book has two books, one consumer to consumer and one dealer wholesale to retail and then the dealer editions are broken down by region. They are also notorious for bad price info also. It is worth what someone is willing to pay for that one transaction, the next maybe higher or lower depending on demand, and winter is approaching.

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Park it across the streat from your Honda dealership and put a forsale sign on it. J/J However, u do owe it to yourself to try and sell it outright if you can make a couple thousand more.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
My friend just traded in his Maroon Honda Fury and got 14,200 for his trade in towards his :rolleyes: Harley... There's always a different point of view and always another person out there willing to give you more than the bike is worth... If you play your cards right, you'll get the proper deal.

·
Registered
889 Posts
My friend just traded in his Maroon Honda Fury and got 14,200 for his trade in towards his :rolleyes: Harley... There's always a different point of view and always another person out there willing to give you more than the bike is worth... If you play your cards right, you'll get the proper deal.
There's no way he got that for a STOCK bike though. Hell, the sticker price on mine was lower than that brand new. I guess it depends on what aftermarket goodies you're trading in with it. Some places like here, aftermarket adds no value. Obviously where you are, aftermarket stuff can add quite a bit. Either that or they're selling for way higher in the first place where you live.

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
I sell cars for a living and there are some things you should know. First when you trade something in you don't pay sales tax on the trade in amount. So if your bike is worth $8,200 you are actually getting $8,744 because your saving $574 in sales tax that you would of had to pay if you bought your bike out right. Also be smart because someone is going to show you $14,200 for your bike, the bike they are selling probably has 2-4k of mark up in it that they can use to "show" you more for your trade. Last but not least the market is negotiable! For example the Fury has two grand of mark up on it plus, the the dealer gets 5% off the total sale of the Fury. So when they give you a discount of 2k dollars they are still making money.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Go down and buy any new vehicle and drive it off the lot and try to trade it back in the next day. See how much you get for it. There isn't much resale value in anything anymore. I remember when Harleys did, but even they have come down quite a bit. It is best anymore to buy a slightly used, low mileage vehicle and save yourself thou$and$ of dollars than buy new.

·
Registered
118 Posts
eBay

Just a note that the last 2 used Fury's that sold on eBay went for $8100 and $8101 with no reserve. Both had about 3,000 miles on them.

My advice...buy things you like for a fair price and keep them for a very long time. Its the constant trading with sales tax, tags and first 2-year depreciation that makes toys expensive. I love my Fury and would only sell it if I was dirt poor broke. Honestly, I think I have spent over $17K but i'd do it all again. Its an investment in my sanity and how much is that worth?

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
There's no way he got that for a STOCK bike though. Hell, the sticker price on mine was lower than that brand new. I guess it depends on what aftermarket goodies you're trading in with it. Some places like here, aftermarket adds no value. Obviously where you are, aftermarket stuff can add quite a bit. Either that or they're selling for way higher in the first place where you live.
No, he added some stuff to the bike, so it wasn't completely stock, but yes, he got that much for the bike... all of us were pleasantly shocked when they told us... lol

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
I have just under 40k in my fury COUNTING the cost of the bike and nothing but the frame and engine is stock. When Ryu got his chopper I found a black cherry big dog coyote and wanted to trade for it simply for the 6 speed tranny and the extra stretch. The big dog was a 2009 new and was 29750.00. They would not come off of that price 1 dollar and they offered me 10k for mine stating they cannot pay for anything custom on the bike. I told them I now see why Big Dog and Harley are in the financial shape they are (big dog skirting bankruptcy and HD only showed proffit due to 2k people layoffs plus 1500 more coming in 2011)and left.

Dealers make more money on a used product than a new one, car or motorcycle, therefore they try and ensure that by paying as minimal amount possible for the trades. And non riding season wouldn't matter whether it's a HD or a metric bike. First time I have ever heard that line.

Take your time and sell the bike over the winter then purchase what you want with no trade and make them come off the MSRP since you won't have a trade in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm real surprised I didn't see anyone asking:

"Why would you want to trade your Fury anyway??"

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - my Fury turns more heads than a pair of DD's. ;)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I have just under 40k in my fury COUNTING the cost of the bike and nothing but the frame and engine is stock. When Ryu got his chopper I found a black cherry big dog coyote and wanted to trade for it simply for the 6 speed tranny and the extra stretch. The big dog was a 2009 new and was 29750.00. They would not come off of that price 1 dollar and they offered me 10k for mine stating they cannot pay for anything custom on the bike. I told them I now see why Big Dog and Harley are in the financial shape they are (big dog skirting bankruptcy and HD only showed proffit due to 2k people layoffs plus 1500 more coming in 2011)and left.

Dealers make more money on a used product than a new one, car or motorcycle, therefore they try and ensure that by paying as minimal amount possible for the trades. And non riding season wouldn't matter whether it's a HD or a metric bike. First time I have ever heard that line.

Take your time and sell the bike over the winter then purchase what you want with no trade and make them come off the MSRP since you won't have a trade in.
Pics of the "just under 40k fury" please? Is that even possible?

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
That's what I was wondering! :confused: What in the world could you do to a Fury to even get close to $40K? I'm no mod expert, but even with the Sumo Fat Tire Kit, chrome wheels, pipes, intake, grips, mirrors, pegs and a hot paint job, you're still not anywhere around 40 are you?

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
That's what I was wondering! :confused: What in the world could you do to a Fury to even get close to $40K? I'm no mod expert, but even with the Sumo Fat Tire Kit, chrome wheels, pipes, intake, grips, mirrors, pegs and a hot paint job, you're still not anywhere around 40 are you?
yeah i agree that it's a $hitload of money but like he said it's including the cost of the bike, mods and i'm sure he meant installation also, so depending on what all he has bought and had put on those installation charges could be a lot as well.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts