Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so as i was on my way back from a rally and the temp. just a little above 100 deg. i was going around 85mph when i started to loose power and jerking like when u vapor lock after a few miles it started to run fine again for about 10 min then started to do it again, has any one had this happen to them? also my uncle was having the same thing happen to him today as well and he rides a yamaha. Any one have any info on why this is happening?

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Ok so as i was on my way back from a rally and the temp. just a little above 100 deg. i was going around 85mph when i started to loose power and jerking like when u vapor lock after a few miles it started to run fine again for about 10 min then started to do it again, has any one had this happen to them? also my uncle was having the same thing happen to him today as well and he rides a yamaha. Any one have any info on why this is happening?
were you riding together?
if yes, then bad gas.
if no, bad karma.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
It happend to me too. Not sure it is the same thing though. I just left my family reunion and pulled out onto a street and it just kept backfiring as if it were on one cylinder. It carried on like this for about 8 seconds and then straightened itself out. I was just figuring bad gas as well. All of the gas stations around here now add up to 10% methanol or something like that which is hygroscopic, (attracts water) like brake fluid. A lot of the gas stations in PA advertise that they do not add this to their gas. It only happend once, so far.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so i went for a little ride this morning and problem seems to have gone away but i still have about 120 more miles to go before i get home so wish me luck.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
nope put fresh gas and still it happened.
Sounds like it's time to check the plugs and work it out from there. Wires on tight, coil firing normal. By the way, the additive that gas stations are putting in gas now is ethynol, not methynol like I previously stated. Still hygroscopic though. Keep us informed when you find the culprit.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Can't help but wonder if it might be a pinched line (fuel or vent) like one of the other guys on the forum had the other day. Look under your seat and the rear-end of your fuel tank; just a guess........ Hope it's not a fouled fuel filter screen, which lives inside, and at the bottom of, your fuel pump.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
On top of what Gar said, yes... bad gas can happen from certain gas stations as sometimes those gas stations in some locations in particular towns don't get regulated on a weekly basis (many don't actually). Could be that week or at that station, they bought their gas from the vendor that was selling it at the lowest rate and you got some shitty gas... Also, check your plugs and all the necessary things... GL with the ride...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys got almost all the way with out it happening again but like 10 miles from home it happened again, it rode all the 110 miles great never missed a beat and i was going at a good pace but with about 10 miles it did it again so i pulled over took off the gas cap put it back on and it rode fine the last ten miles, hummmm maybe she just didnt want to come home :rolleyes: gonna call my dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Just because you fill up doesnt mean the gas they served u wasnt bad, I would fill up 1 more time before u make a dealer run. Crap my wives car was filled up with bad gas and the station had to do the repairs, thanks god my wife listened to me on using the same gas station as often as possible or buy the same gas from the same named station. but crappy fuel will make your motor run crappy. RSS hit it on the head

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
dig it:
1. Fury man stops for gas.
2. Fury man removes gas cap and places on ground or on top of gas pump
3. after filling tank Fury man puts dirty gas cap on tank.

i just noticed where I was putting my cap during fill up. It can be filthy up on top of the pumps.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
put gas three times between incidents didnt fill up just mixing gas from different stations just incase it was bad gas but still happened. Im taking the bi&%h appart as we speak to check it out.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
put gas three times between incidents

1. plugs tightened and spark plug cables not cracked, broken.
2. make sure cables snap on properly to plugs
3. check cable boots-make sure the contacts are visible.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
dig it:
1. Fury man stops for gas.
2. Fury man removes gas cap and places on ground or on top of gas pump
3. after filling tank Fury man puts dirty gas cap on tank.

i just noticed where I was putting my cap during fill up. It can be filthy up on top of the pumps.
Always just put it on your seat or in your lap when filling her up... ;)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts