Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

· Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally installed the Viper 2 from Fuggin and the Cobra FI2000R and thought I could get some advice here.

Left the FI2000 at 1-2-0, lights on and looks good. VERY EASY INSTALL and took less than 10 minutes.

Installed Viper 2 with new gaskets. This also was an easy install. I was very impressed with the fit and quality. Install took about 30 min.

NOW, HERE'S WHERE I NEED THE HELP.

1. Started the bike..Stopped. Moved green setting to "2" then "3" and got great starting...left on 3.

2. Rode bike up the drive (about a 1/4 mile) Vipers were BLUE about 3" from the ports.:eek: Set up the yellow to "4". Now the pipes are already blue so had to go by performance. Seemed ok in 4th or 5th for accel.

3. Loaded bike on Trailer...headed to Florida...Road interstate--kept adjusting settings up ... still more blueing.....now up to "7". Thought OK.

4. Road 400 interstate miles....More Blueing.... set to "8".. WTF is with this controller???????

NOTE: I have NO exhaust leaks. I re-tightened after 50 and then 150 miles. I even did the 'flame test' to make sure of no leaks at the gaskets.

NOW WHAT???? I still don't have the Spike on and feel the controller is maxed out. It is installed correct according to instructions and Cobra has been no help.

Thought #1 .... Go Up even more on top 2 settings.
Thought #2 ... Order a different controller and use the FI2000 as a fishing weight!

Thought #3 ... Get a 3/4" fuel line for this bike!

ANY SUGGESTIONS???? I have the spike on order (D&M) and Viper 2's for exhaust. I need someone more intelligent than I here.

Thanks in advance.

· Premium Member
6,715 Posts
My understanding from Corbra, was to go off of how the bike was running not the settings. In other words, find the best performance settings and leave it. You’re not going to hurt the bike if it is running good, no matter what your settings are. I think mine are something like 7-8-6, and Cobra said it was fine.

· Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Richard. But with the pipes turning blue that is a 'too lean' condition. Isn't that correct?

Added:::: What happened to Gar? I need some intellectual reasoning in a bad way.

· Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got a good deal on the Cobra ... Probably should have gone with the Fuggin. I agree on the sound...It's great! I have no problem with the Viper 2's. Great product. Just don't want to ruin them with wrong adjustments.

· Premium Member
6,029 Posts
I finally installed the Viper 2 from Fuggin and the Cobra FI2000R and thought I could get some advice here.

Left the FI2000 at 1-2-0, lights on and looks good. VERY EASY INSTALL and took less than 10 minutes.

Installed Viper 2 with new gaskets. This also was an easy install. I was very impressed with the fit and quality. Install took about 30 min.

NOW, HERE'S WHERE I NEED THE HELP.

1. Started the bike..Stopped. Moved green setting to "2" then "3" and got great starting...left on 3.

2. Rode bike up the drive (about a 1/4 mile) Vipers were BLUE about 3" from the ports.:eek: Set up the yellow to "4". Now the pipes are already blue so had to go by performance. Seemed ok in 4th or 5th for accel.

3. Loaded bike on Trailer...headed to Florida...Road interstate--kept adjusting settings up ... still more blueing.....now up to "7". Thought OK.

4. Road 400 interstate miles....More Blueing.... set to "8".. WTF is with this controller???????

NOTE: I have NO exhaust leaks. I re-tightened after 50 and then 150 miles. I even did the 'flame test' to make sure of no leaks at the gaskets.

NOW WHAT???? I still don't have the Spike on and feel the controller is maxed out. It is installed correct according to instructions and Cobra has been no help.

Thought #1 .... Go Up even more on top 2 settings.
Thought #2 ... Order a different controller and use the FI2000 as a fishing weight!

Thought #3 ... Get a 3/4" fuel line for this bike!

ANY SUGGESTIONS???? I have the spike on order (D&M) and Viper 2's for exhaust. I need someone more intelligent than I here.

Thanks in advance.
Sorry but... lololololololol... :D Welcome to the pain...!~ Damn fuel controllers...

· Premium Member
1,965 Posts
Painter:
The thing about blue pipes is that has the bluing damage already been done. Meaning that dialing in the FI2000 has it now corrected the air fuel?

Back in July I read up on all the controllers, I watched posts of peeps that have settings for the FI2000 all over the spectrum of settings.
Unless you can get it dyno'd properly how do you know for sure?
I put the Fuggin module on mine, made a couple tweaks and have been running it ever since.
However I put the S&S intake on a week prior to the fuel controller and seen my pipes start to blue, felt the motor putting out lot's of heat idling at a light.
So stopped riding it until the controller arrive.
It still showed signs of bluing some more after the controller was installed, and talking with Fuggin made another setting change and it has been that way now for over 6 months.
I have since pulled the spark plug's to see how rich the bike is running and they look good.
I have not had the bike Dyno'd either but it's not smoking like a freight train, and it's seems to be purring..

What is the trick to getting it right? I say once you get the Spike on, keep an close eye on the pipes, the heat the motor generates. Check you plug's, they can tell you a lot of how the fuel is burning..

my 2 cents
T

· Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some real good thoughts Tony. I too read all the posts on the FI w/ settings all over the place. My pipes turned blue in no time with the factory settings therefore I assumed that I needed to bump up the pots.

If blueing is the indicator, once they blue, how do you tell? Well, I stopped at the Harley dealer (my wife spends a lot of time there) and picked up some "Blue Job" . I rubbed out the blue until the pipes had just a gold patina. Then started all over again. Rubbing the blue out is not an easy task and I don't want to continually do that! After about 50 miles...more blueing...more adjusting....more rubbing out the blue.

The Harley dealership will not dyno my bike even though I have purchased 3 Harleys in 4 years there! I don't know anywhere close that dyno's a Honda. The Cobra FI seemed a simple operation and I really don't know why I have this problem. Gar and BarFury have some suggestions toward AFR to get it right and I am looking into that.

Does anyone think I should set my pots at 0-0-0 and start on the other end?

· Premium Member
6,715 Posts
I don’t have the answer either Painter. My Cobras are blue behind the heat shield. Do you have a Kury engine kit on your bike? If so, you will be able to see the reflection behind the covers in some area’s and see how far down they are “blue”. My settings are high and the dealer appears to be pretty knowledgeable say’s it is fine. I even verified it thru Cobra and posted their response in one of the threads. In short, if the bike is running good, don’t worry about the settings. With that said, this spring I will lower my pots to see if I can tell any difference. With all the uncertainty, it’s all the more reason to consider the extended warranty. Assuming this type of stuff would be covered.

· Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Richard,

Yes I have the Kury Engine Covers but don't need to look at a reflection as the Vipers are single wall w/ no heat shields!

That brings up a good thought. (Imagine that!) Those of you who have the FI2000 or other controllers that need 'tweeking' and have full heat shields, wouldn't it be a lot more difficult to detect the lean blueing mix?????

If I had a heat shield that covered about 6" of the pipe from the heads, I would be hard pressed to see any blueing at all. Could double wall pipes prevent detection of a possible serious problem????

· Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There is no way they would cover aftermarket pipes and FC.
I agree. You would have to have an outstanding dealer in your area and, let's face it, most don't. Some dealers install the FC and Cobras right now and I believe they would cover a problem. My quandry is that my pipes were blue before I really had a chance to 'tweek' anything.:mad:

· Registered
500 Posts
I agree. You would have to have an outstanding dealer in your area and, let's face it, most don't. Some dealers install the FC and Cobras right now and I believe they would cover a problem. My quandry is that my pipes were blue before I really had a chance to 'tweek' anything.:mad:
I talked with Doug at Fuggin' quite a bit about bluing, since my concerns over the bluing potential of a single-wall pipe(s) is what originally made me hold off on the chrome viper-2's. The upshot of what he told me [ok, I *didn't* actually take notes on the conversation] but I believe his remarks were essentially that even with a proper A/F mix, a single-wall chrome pipe WILL eventually blue, somewhat. I believe the internal ceramics are supposed to hold off how soon and to what degree, but at the end of the conversation I was left believing that eventually I'll have bluing on my new chrome viper2's. While I wasn't delighted about this, I liked the style of the V2's and the way they complement the lines of the fury so much I decided the hell with it and got them anyway - frankly, I've run straight pipes on past harley's when I was younger and into more-is-better vis-a-vis exhaust noise, and it never bothered me all that much - I'm just more particular and fussy now 'cause the fury is the newest and nicest bike I've ever bought - but some eventual bluing? meh ... I can live with it.

Upshot is, I'm thinking that even though yours blued early cause of improper A/F mixture; it's something youd've eventually got no matter what. I'm not positive about this but it's what I thought a couple of the experts were sayin'. I guess in a year all us chrome V2'ers can compare blu-notes and see where we're all at :)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.