Honda Fury Forums: banner
41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Hey there Kiwi!!!

Updates, updates, updates :3ek:

I'm taking my kit to my painter with in the next week or 2. You mentioned that you were having a metal tip fabbed up to help with the munching of the rear. Any pictures on that. I had the same idea but I'm not 100% certain if I'm going to do that or just have my painter shorten up the rear or round out the end tip a bit. Anyhow, I hope all is well and I'm looking forward to more pictures! Ride safe man!!!
I ended up giving up on a metal tip. The 3D curves and shape of the tip were just a big pain in the ass for my skills. I'm just going to let it get tore up, and have my painter reshape it again when its time.

In the meantime, my next project after the new year is the fairing. (Well officially its supposed to be carpet in the house.... *cough* but I'm not tellin...)

Lemme know what you decide to go with to line the insides of the bags.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I ended up giving up on a metal tip. The 3D curves and shape of the tip were just a big pain in the ass for my skills. I'm just going to let it get tore up, and have my painter reshape it again when its time.

In the meantime, my next project after the new year is the fairing. (Well officially its supposed to be carpet in the house.... *cough* but I'm not tellin...)

Lemme know what you decide to go with to line the insides of the bags.
Yeah my painter is doing some body work on them to change some things around so when I get it back I'm thinking of fabbing up scrape plate like you had mentioned. I know the angles will be tough but I'll see what I can come up with. I need to make a sissy bar for the back so wife will feel more comfortable on it as well. I'm thinking of going with C&C Sport Tour seat. They are like an hour and a half away from me so I may take a ride down there once I get the bike back together to see if it will fit and look right on the bike. I'll keep you posted on that as well.

As for bag liners, I'm going to have to have some made. My mother has a pretty good sewing machine so I may have her sew together the panels after I make templates of each side. As far as adhering them to the saddlebag itself I may have to find some sort of pinch molding to sandwich the liner with the bag at the top... this is just one of my current ideas. Or I may just have the inner bags shot with Line-X protective coatings. Problem is that Its such a tight opening (I know I know... "That's what she said") that it will be tough to get a good coating of Line-X sprayed in there.

What are you currently running for bag liners?

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Yeah my painter is doing some body work on them to change some things around so when I get it back I'm thinking of fabbing up scrape plate like you had mentioned. I know the angles will be tough but I'll see what I can come up with. I need to make a sissy bar for the back so wife will feel more comfortable on it as well. I'm thinking of going with C&C Sport Tour seat. They are like an hour and a half away from me so I may take a ride down there once I get the bike back together to see if it will fit and look right on the bike. I'll keep you posted on that as well.

As for bag liners, I'm going to have to have some made. My mother has a pretty good sewing machine so I may have her sew together the panels after I make templates of each side. As far as adhering them to the saddlebag itself I may have to find some sort of pinch molding to sandwich the liner with the bag at the top... this is just one of my current ideas. Or I may just have the inner bags shot with Line-X protective coatings. Problem is that Its such a tight opening (I know I know... "That's what she said") that it will be tough to get a good coating of Line-X sprayed in there.

Perhaps you could use the roll on bed liner available at most auto parts stores... Its like the spray on bed liners but you can roll it on so it would be easier to control the application VS spraying it in.... Just a thought.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·

Nothing right now. I'm intending to do a truck bed liner in it like Kbus mentioned when it gets warmer. Probably Herculiner.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The only problem with the roll-on liner application is that the texture is really rough. I've seen the final outcome on a Hurculiner and when it is done right it does look okay but still has a fairly rough texture. There are other low pressure applications like Rapture liners that you can do at home as long as you have a good steady supply of air. I know when I shoot Line-X I'm spraying at around 2700 PSI and my gun can't get into some of the tight/closed up places that the low pressure or roll-on liners can get into. If anything I know Duplicolor makes a can spray on liner that you can get at Pepboys. I may lay that down first to close up the fiberglass and then still have some liners made.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
The only problem with the roll-on liner application is that the texture is really rough. I've seen the final outcome on a Hurculiner and when it is done right it does look okay but still has a fairly rough texture. There are other low pressure applications like Rapture liners that you can do at home as long as you have a good steady supply of air. I know when I shoot Line-X I'm spraying at around 2700 PSI and my gun can't get into some of the tight/closed up places that the low pressure or roll-on liners can get into. If anything I know Duplicolor makes a can spray on liner that you can get at Pepboys. I may lay that down first to close up the fiberglass and then still have some liners made.
When you say 'rough', how rough?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hurculiner just has a rough texture almost like 36-grit sand paper. I mean its just rough. Now the Duplicolor spray can liner is a finer texture which is almost like a that crinkle powder-coat texture, and the Duplicolor spray can liner can be bought at Pepboys.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I would just make an 1/8" plate bolted to the bottom under the bag. No one would see it and it will hit the ground before the fiberglass. Trace out poster board to the shape and find some 1/8" aluminum plate

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Hurculiner just has a rough texture almost like 36-grit sand paper. I mean its just rough. Now the Duplicolor spray can liner is a finer texture which is almost like a that crinkle powder-coat texture, and the Duplicolor spray can liner can be bought at Pepboys.
I'll give that a try then. I'm not too worried about not having a felt liner. I usually have a small rag in there anyways to muffle the sound/protect anything.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Just an idea; Plasti-dip might work for the liner material as well. Goes on super easy, protects really well, even on my radiator cover, is cheap, and can be pealed off stupid easy should you decide to get rid of it. Isn't a sand paper finish either. Maybe give that a shot? Really easy to spray at funky/weird angles and in tight spaces too.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Just an idea; Plasti-dip might work for the liner material as well. Goes on super easy, protects really well, even on my radiator cover, is cheap, and can be pealed off stupid easy should you decide to get rid of it. Isn't a sand paper finish either. Maybe give that a shot? Really easy to spray at funky/weird angles and in tight spaces too.
Hmmm... that's actually a good idea! I never thought of Plastidip. But doesn't Plastidip have a ruberized feel to it? I'm just wondering if you throw anything sharp or if you have clothes in there will it rub off? I mean touching up would be a simple...

I like either the Plastidip idea or the Duplicolor spray can liner option too. Either way, I'm probably going to have cloth liners made but I still have/want to coat the fiberglass interior anyhow. My wheels are turning now... I'll post up something when I have it completed :co-ol:

·
Registered
438 Posts
I would just make an 1/8" plate bolted to the bottom under the bag. No one would see it and it will hit the ground before the fiberglass. Trace out poster board to the shape and find some 1/8" aluminum plate
Hey Steve, I've thought about that as well for the exterior but I'm not too concerned with bags hitting. I know I will have to adjust my riding to where I will not be able to lean that much. As for now I'm more concerned with the tail end of the fender hitting. I'm going to have to come up with some sort of metal tip for any scraping going in and out of steep driveways or dips.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Hey Steve, I've thought about that as well for the exterior but I'm not too concerned with bags hitting. I know I will have to adjust my riding to where I will not be able to lean that much. As for now I'm more concerned with the tail end of the fender hitting. I'm going to have to come up with some sort of metal tip for any scraping going in and out of steep driveways or dips.
Leaning is no problem. The only thing you'll need to worry about is leaning while turning from the flat into an incline.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Well great.

Went to buy a matching fairing from VM Customs, and I guess the guy is mostly unavailable now, as STG can't get ahold of him.

I really don't want to have to spend my money on something from Metric Baggers, but I can't find anything else out there that doesn't look like a standard bagger fairing.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
The continuing saga of buying from VN Customs.

Received the fairing last week. Great looking fairing and excellently constructed.

As we all know, VN makes his stuff for the stock fury. I thought, 'cmon now, it has to fit the fury's front even with 8* trees'.

Well, I was wrong again.

Warning:

The fairing comes with three mounting brackets. One bottom brackets that uses the head light mount bolts, and two upper brackets that connect to the mirror mounts.

With 8* trees you may find trouble keeping your lamp bucket angled down.

With handle bar risers... well...

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
So you've got to fab just three new brackets ?
That's almost like Bolt-On :wink:

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
So you've got to fab just three new brackets ?
That's almost like Bolt-On :wink:
Yeah...why can't stuff like this be easy. Yeah, I need to check clearances tonite, but at the least I'll have to fabricate two top brackets. Could be easily fixed if he made extra long 'blanks' that could be cut to fit.

Keep in mind, the pic of the fairing on the bike is just sitting there balanced. Actual distances to the mirrors are a lot longer.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Me and a buddy, a buddy and I, did some more work on the bike this weekend.

Got some better test fitting done on the fairing. The fairing won't go well with bar risers. Risers will place the speedo above the fairing.

So I removed my risers and tried fitting again. The right side bracket is an inch to short to reach the mirror mount. When I unwrapped the brackets from shipping, I could tell visually that the bracket was shorter than the other one. Just wasn't sure if that was on purpose. Kinda funny how you can fail to make two brackets that don't match up properly, and still ship them like there's nothing wrong.

I'll start working on extending that bracket by an inch or so. After that, the bottom bracket should only require minor minor modifications to get it in place as well.

The head lamp bucket can still angle down all the way with 8* trees with the fairing.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts