1,146 Posts
Or any other cool additions....:grin:

Tigger

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Hey kiwi any updates on the faring!?
Almost there. Mounting is sorted out. First paint job this month didn't come out to well. My guy was obviously rushing it. So I had him go back over it again. I should get it back this Monday.

The fairing looks amazing when it arrives. The pictures from online sellers just don't seem to do it justice, or capture the right angles.

Its a thick two layer (hollowed out) fairing with vents in the front that exit the top. Keeps the wind off your chest without getting any buffeting in the face. You still get the wind in your face, but its alot easier to handle at 70+mph when the wind isn't on your chest. Theres plenty of room inside the fairing for an enterprising fiberglasser to add additional molding for speakers. However, I couldn't say if your would be able to hear them that well with the wind still by your ears. It has a very stable mount (I'll post tips on that later.)

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Or any other cool additions....:grin:

Tigger
Ha! Yeah. yeah... Next month the chin scoop gets painted.

Then the month after that the right side cover gets extended to the bottom of the frame and painted as well.

Then the month after that the new saddle bag lid gets painted.

Then the month after that a new battery.

Then the month after that a reflash...

Then the month after that...

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Ha! Yeah. yeah... Next month the chin scoop gets painted.

Then the month after that the right side cover gets extended to the bottom of the frame and painted as well.

Then the month after that the new saddle bag lid gets painted.

Then the month after that a new battery.

Then the month after that a reflash...

Then the month after that...
Well just remember....... Its only money.... Lol

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Well here we are a month later, and no, the fairing still hasn't had its paint finished. I've no idea what my painter is doing wrong, but I'm waiting on the fourth repaint. Dude is going to get it right no matter how long I have to wait.

In the meantime, I gots a question on running the turn signal wires. Luckily I already have my LED wrap around wires coming out of the head light bucket, so I can just cut and connect to those.

This leaves me with the hassle of threading the new LED wires from the top of the fairing shell, down through the hollow inside of the shell, to near the bottom where they should exit to the headlight bucket. What would be a good way of threading those wires and catching them at the bottom?

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
How big of an opening/passage is there for you to work in? I was thinking fish sticks. I found some at Lowes that claim they are 1/4" diameter. They would be way longer than you would need, but might do it.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 · (Edited)
How big of an opening/passage is there for you to work in? I was thinking fish sticks. I found some at Lowes that claim they are 1/4" diameter. They would be way longer than you would need, but might do it.
I'll have to drill the holes.

The opening at the top would be as small as possible just enough for the wires to go through. The bottom holes would probably be a little larger to assist in fishing. And then a little clear silicon to seal up the holes.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
So we finally got the fairing painted. Below you'll see the finished product. I'll get some better outdoor pictures once we have clear skies again.

This next picture is of the right side mirror mount. You'll notice it was too short when shipped, so I cut and drilled some sheet metal to extend it to the right length and angle. The left side was the exact length needed.

This next picture is of the underside mount. A couple of small 6mm screws with blue loctite, and some rubberised washers, connects the mount to the fairing. The mount itself is then sandwiched between the headlight mount and the lower triple tree.

Once mounted the fairing is very rigid and not going to vibrate.

Getting the fairing mounted and centered correctly is all about the lower mount. You'll want to first drill the holes, where the headlight bolts go through, much wider. This will give you 'wiggle' room to shift the fairing around until its centered the way you want it. I also had to grind an edge down on the lower mount so that it would mate with the fairing and line up those two bolt holes you see in the above picture.

Lastly, my right side upper mount was too short. I've already explained how I went about extending it with a short piece of sheet metal. Not perfect, but definitely not noticeable unless you're really looking up close.

Once again, this was made for a stock fury, so you can't use bar extensions. I have 8* trees with 3" fork extensions and the angle of the top of the fairing and the downwards headlight just fit right. Depending on how high you choose to lift (fork extensions/larger front wheel) your front end with 10* trees, the fairing may not look right, or you may not have room in the fairing to angle the headlight down any further.

Costs:

Fairing $700
Painting $500 (This was high because the painter had problems with major pitting all over the fiberglass finish. You should be able to get it done for around $300.)
LED turn signals $125

·
Registered
272 Posts
So we finally got the fairing painted. Below you'll see the finished product. I'll get some better outdoor pictures once we have clear skies again.

This next picture is of the right side mirror mount. You'll notice it was too short when shipped, so I cut and drilled some sheet metal to extend it to the right length and angle. The left side was the exact length needed.

This next picture is of the underside mount. A couple of small 6mm screws with blue loctite, and some rubberised washers, connects the mount to the fairing. The mount itself is then sandwiched between the headlight mount and the lower triple tree.

Once mounted the fairing is very rigid and not going to vibrate.

Getting the fairing mounted and centered correctly is all about the lower mount. You'll want to first drill the holes, where the headlight bolts go through, much wider. This will give you 'wiggle' room to shift the fairing around until its centered the way you want it. I also had to grind an edge down on the lower mount so that it would mate with the fairing and line up those two bolt holes you see in the above picture.

Lastly, my right side upper mount was too short. I've already explained how I went about extending it with a short piece of sheet metal. Not perfect, but definitely not noticeable unless you're really looking up close.

Once again, this was made for a stock fury, so you can't use bar extensions. I have 8* trees with 3" fork extensions and the angle of the top of the fairing and the downwards headlight just fit right. Depending on how high you choose to lift (fork extensions/larger front wheel) your front end with 10* trees, the fairing may not look right, or you may not have room in the fairing to angle the headlight down any further.

Costs:

Fairing $700
Painting $500 (This was high because the painter had problems with major pitting all over the fiberglass finish. You should be able to get it done for around $300.)
LED turn signals $125
Does the fairing actually redirect the wind or is it primarily for looks?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Does the fairing actually redirect the wind or is it primarily for looks?
Its a thick two layer (hollowed out) fairing with vents in the front that exits out the top vents. If you look back a page or so you'll see some pics of the vents. The fairing keeps the wind off your chest without getting any buffeting in the face (I'm 5'11"). You still get the wind in your face, but its alot easier to handle at 70+mph when the wind isn't on your chest. Theres plenty of room inside the fairing for an enterprising fiberglasser to add additional molding for speakers. However, I couldn't say if your would be able to hear them that well with the wind still by your ears.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Its a thick two layer (hollowed out) fairing with vents in the front that exits out the top vents. If you look back a page or so you'll see some pics of the vents. The fairing keeps the wind off your chest without getting any buffeting in the face (I'm 5'11"). You still get the wind in your face, but its alot easier to handle at 70+mph when the wind isn't on your chest. Theres plenty of room inside the fairing for an enterprising fiberglasser to add additional molding for speakers. However, I couldn't say if your would be able to hear them that well with the wind still by your ears.
I wonder how hard it would be to add a small clear glass/plexiglass lip at the top of the fairing to kick the wind over your head?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I wonder how hard it would be to add a small clear glass/plexiglass lip at the top of the fairing to kick the wind over your head?
I prefer the wind my face personally.

Considering the height of the top of the fairing, and its shape, I think an added plexiglass would have to be pretty tall, and it would look pretty terrible. If someone is looking for complete shielding I'd recommend going with a traditional batwing fairing.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
So finally got some pictures taken.

Still need to replace the saddle bag lid. I got the replacement, but apparently VN expects me to do all the drilling, resin, and mounting of the hardware myself. *sigh*...
Still need to paint the chin scoop from tig.
Still need to lengthen the right side cover to the bottom of the frame.

Do I love my bike? I sure do. Would I do this again... hell no. Not from VN.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
So here we are about five years later.

I hadn't ridden in a couple of years for a few reasons. Bad back. All my "friends" that I rode with slowly dissolved their relationships with each other and stopped riding over petty crap. I moved to Houston where I was unfamiliar with the highways, and people literally get shot on the road every day here for .. well... breathing. But, I pulled the bike out a couple of months ago and got her back into running shape again and have been riding quite a bit. (It's a Honda... so that pretty much just meant polishing the bike...)

I've still gotta get my chin scoop painted and mounted. I'll take care of that soon now that I'm back in the saddle again. I never lined the saddle bags. In fact... I kinda don't care. I haven't had any problems with storing anything in the bags. If something needs to be protected I wrap it in a towel. So much room for activities... I've ridden in down pours a couple of times now, and the saddle bags have been water tight, which is a nice bonus.

I decided to switch out fairings. I really needed my handle bar extensions back for a more comfortable ride. I went with the Tsukayu choppa fairing with speakers. I ordered it color matched. It was packaged and shipped extremely well. The construction is rock solid, and the paint job amazing. Fitment and installation is a breeze. I've just gotta play around with angles n stuff to see what I like.

Here's some before and afters.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Window
Automotive tire Asphalt Gas Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Ok all adjusted. There's two sets of screw holes on the mounting brackets that attach to the fairing. One set of holes angles the fairing higher than the other set. If you're using 8* triple trees you'll probably want to use the holes that sets the angle lower. The higher angle may send wind into your eye and ear height. The lower angle keeps the wind off your chest, without buffeting your face, much like my old fairing.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts