Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you have all probably read I have just added these trees and the 3" extensions along with replacing all my ABS brake lines with stainless steel braid. It was a large job and after 2 weeks finally got to test ride the bike.

Found there was a large knocking sound coming from the front end when hitting the smallest of bumps ? Originally I thought it was coming from the lower forks, thought I must have allowed a spacer/washer come out when I was installing the extensions. Finally come to the grips with the idea of letting Honda dealership rebuild each fork leg (I was told you need special tools).

Today on another test ride (joy ride) I had to hit the front brake fairly hard and noticed about 1/8" of movement on the top tree WRT the frame !!! I had tightened the bolt up to the required torque etc so I was a bit surprised.

Jacked up the bike until zero weight on front wheel, grabbed the forks and lifted them up and down about 1/8" ?? Tested the bolt and it was tight, lossened the lower tree to ensure it wasn't holding the bolt from tightening up any further, nil affect. Tightened all trees up and ensured that the front wheel only had a few pounds of weight on it. Then carefully undid the main bolt and removed it from the triple trees. Measured the depth of the "hole" from the washer seat on the lower tree to the end of the hole in the top tree.

The bolt was about 1/8" longer than the hole depth :confused: Either fit another washer, already have a great big bolt that should have been chromed under there and I didn't want it sticking out any further, so I hack sawed off a 1/4" of the bolt.

All back together and now it is perfect.

SO BEWARE if installing these trees as quality control doesn't appear to be on high on the list. I also had to do a full sand with 800 wet and dry and then buff them to get them to a standard that you would except. Having said that though the trees are solid as oak trees and should never cause any problems once they are fitted correctly.

MERRY XMAS ALL - mine got really merry when I found the above fault and could fix it for free. :)

Cheers
Guy

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
Mine are installed and I have no Knocking/movement and I did not have to do this..

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
This is a good heads up for a possible future problem for many but something doesn't sound right here. It just sounds to me like this type of a problem shouldn't have happened and I'm just trying to figure out why or what happened here.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
I wonder if this is an isolated instance due to ABS or something? I haven't seen anyone say a negative word at all that have these installed already. Mine haven't come in yet so I have no clue personally but I hope it is a one off problem.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Glad to here you figured out what was going on. From your PM earlier I was getting a little apprehensive about changing mine. But you still should not have run into the trouble you have.

Buy the way that was a good post you did with the ABS break lines and wiring.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Wow, that could have been catastrophic. Non ABS here, and did not have that issue. I wonder if they sent the wrong bolt in the kit.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Have to agree with others... wonder if your issues where do to the ABS. RSS and I installed his trees in a afternoon, and other than his over chroming do to his obsession with chrome, we did not have a problem during or after other than bleeding his front brake.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
So what is your opinion on this L&M?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi all,

ABS ? This stuff is not some sort pf curse or anything magic, the frame is identical. Do you think Honda make two separate frames for a couple of sensors that monitor a disk on the wheels. ABS has absolutely nothing to do with triple trees, headstead lengths and tapered bearings.

The problem was plain and simple, the bolt (which is cut to length by whoever makes the trees) was cut a fraction too long, maybe it wasn't quite home in the jig they use, who knows. It may not happen again or 1 in a 1000 may get it. The tapped hole in the top tree may have been to shallow as well but I doubt this as they are CNC machined with little or no human interaction.

The post was just to make all aware of this problem and to keep an eye out when they are installing the trees.

PS. In hind site I should have measured the length of my bolt so we could compare it to other peoples kits.

The bad news is I still can't ride my bike as it is 44º C here, 110º F. And you poor blokes in the USA are freezing, hard to imagine.

Cheers
Guy

·
Registered
889 Posts
I felt bad for you until I read the last section. I now hate you. :mad:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Glad nothing bad happened to you and the Bike. could of been really bad stuff after that screw up from the product. Hope it was a one time brain fart on some guys part at the company. Hate to see more people being put at risk for poor quality control.:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
8 degree trees

Hi all,

I have just finished my change over to the extended tree's and mine went straight on, but i was dissapointed with the crappy bolt so i mesured the length and made one with a tappered head so it tucks up into the bottom tree,
I all so worked out that on the ABS model the length of the brake line is ok all i did was take off the holders and they fitted ok in all turning sequences...

YES THEY LOOK FANTASIC AND THE RIDE IS EVEN BETTER.

the trees raise's the bike as well so with my Cobra Sweepers on i don't scrape them anymore...

Lee

·
Registered
438 Posts
Lee, did you install both the 3"extenders and the 8 degree trees? And it worked out with the stock brake lines?

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Should the head light be lowered at all because the bike is raised up after the trees are put on?

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
I actually just read this... I think I may have noticed the same problem at first, but I want to clarify which bolts they are....

If it is the allen head bolts that are on the back side of the tree's, the key is to work them into the hole. In other words, you get them as tight as you can, back them out and tighten them up again. Every time you do this, is should work it's way into the hole more and you should eventually bottom out the bolt into the hole; at least this is what I did for my set-up after I noticed a gap in the tree's where it hugs the forks. Don't worry about the torque rating as that is deceptive, especially if the bolt is catching a little bit on the bottom threads. I used my allen head tool and a rubber mallet and worked it in there pretty good.

It felt as though it went in all the way in when I first installed the tree's, but once I started doing this rocking with the bolts, it seated all the way in. Just thought that I'd throw out my 2 cents on this issue, look forward to the comments.

Should the head light be lowered at all because the bike is raised up after the trees are put on?
I lowered mine slightly to adjust for the new angle from the tree's.

Lee, did you install both the 3"extenders and the 8 degree trees? And it worked out with the stock brake lines?
Would suggest getting the extended brake lines as the stock one will be tight once it's on there... the new brake lines are about 3" longer and it gives you a little peace of mind knowing that it has the same slack as it did when it was stock.

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
Hi all,

but i was disappointed with the crappy bolt so i measured the length and made one with a tapered head so it tucks up into the bottom tree,

Just think peoples, A nice pretty chromed bolt with a fancy head would up the cost of the trees there are alot of peoples had a hard time swallowing $500, and the original $650. do we want to make it more?? Just for a pretty bolt? that you don't really see?

IMO no,

JMO tho

·
Premium Member
13,702 Posts
i posted this problem a while back, all it took was one washer.cant even see it.nuff said.

·
Registered
2 Posts
a question please...

Hi all,

I have just finished my change over to the extended tree's and mine went straight on, but i was dissapointed with the crappy bolt so i mesured the length and made one with a tappered head so it tucks up into the bottom tree,
I all so worked out that on the ABS model the length of the brake line is ok all i did was take off the holders and they fitted ok in all turning sequences...

YES THEY LOOK FANTASIC AND THE RIDE IS EVEN BETTER.

the trees raise's the bike as well so with my Cobra Sweepers on i don't scrape them anymore...

Lee
I am really wanting to change to the L&M 8 degree trees but am concerned about scraping my exhaust. I have Cobra sweeps too, and from what I've picked up, will have to change out the rear spring loosing 1.5" of height in the back. I've never scraping my exhaust before although it's not uncommon for me to scrape my pegs. Scraping my pegs doesn't bother me much, but would hate to commonly scrape my exhaust pipes.

If I'm not having a problem scraping my exhaust now, do you think I would after installing the smaller rear spring w/L&M 8 degree trees ?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts