Honda Fury Forums: banner

161 - 175 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Fucking A he is. I reported one, told them to ban him and get rid of his threads. I am not reporting every fucking one of them...

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I had never put anybody on ignore before, I didn't know it would make them all go away, cool

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
If you ignore him it will hide all of his threads
Although that may work for you if the @Administrator doesn't ban and remove the posts it will ruin this forum for any potential new users.

It's hard to get @Administrator to respond these days... this is about the fourth or fifth time I have tagged them about this issue with no response.

I also reported several of those threads.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Although that may work for you if the @Administrator doesn't ban and remove the posts it will ruin this forum for any potential new users.

It's hard to get @Administrator to respond these days... this is about the fourth or fifth time I have tagged them about this issue with no response.

I also reported several of those threads.
I have as well. On another forum I was banned for reporting spam...sure made me wonder if that mod had something to do with the spam...

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'm surprised admin has let it get this bad. That is an unusually large amount of spam.
Is he still spamming ? I can't tell since I blocked the SOB !

I'll bump the post with the solution.

·
Administrator
438 Posts
Hello

Sorry for the delayed response on a reply we have a bit of a backlog. Do we need some more Mods here?

We have recently made some updates to the spam controls and settings so the approval queues would catch a lot more potential Spammers.

Once those are resolved we will start working again on bugs and new features.

Jeff M

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Hello

Sorry for the delayed response on a reply we have a bit of a backlog. Do we need some more Mods here?

We have recently made some updates to the spam controls and settings so the approval queues would catch a lot more potential Spammers.

Jeff M
If you add mods, I would throw my hat into the ring, I would do it. I have moderated a politcal forum in the past, I bet this one has fewer arguements!

·
Super Moderator
2,804 Posts
I want to address these concerns due to their importance:

The user jacobgreen has only been a member for a few days and has spammed us with 288 threads for medication.
Admins please remove these threads and block the user.
Ad much as we hate it, sometimes companies that make their income by SPAMming sites find a way to make this happen--they are tireless. Forum software authors respond by rewriting code and issuing updates (writing and testing takes time), meanwhile Administrators try to tweak the system to make it harder to SPAM (without breaking something), and Moderators try to clean up the mess (without deleting your posts by accident). This is one reason for CAPTCHA popping up at times, to stop SPAM, yet allow you to immeditely self-approve posts the system flags as potential SPAM.

[...] I reported one, told them to ban him and get rid of his threads. I am not reporting every [...] one of them...
Reporting one post is fine. Moderators look at it and take logical action based on what the person behind the account is doing (the staff thinks before acting). In the case of blatant SPAMming the account is banned and all of their posts are inactivated.

If you ignore him it will hide all of his threads
Right. Report the SPAMmer, then use the Ignore feature. Sometimes the staff is busy doing other things like tweaking the system to stop the inflow of SPAMmers--once SPAMmers find a way in it becomes an onslaught and it's best to plug the hole in the dike before mopping up the water. (Although sometimes we're out riding.... 😎)

I have as well. On another forum I was banned for reporting spam...sure made me wonder if that mod had something to do with the spam...
Staff here appreciates reports--it helps catch things otherwise missed. Even if ten people report a SPAMmer (creating 10 reports), it's easy to manage with the new anti-SPAM tools. Flag SPAMmers so they're removed from your forum. ☠

I'm surprised admin has let it get this bad. That is an unusually large amount of spam.
Unfortunately, several sights were hit hard recently, this one "wasn't bad" compared to others. (LOTS of SPAM is caught and doesn't make it through to be viewed.) Keeping the site SPAM-free is important, and the Administration did make changes to help counter the influx.

Jeff M
The anti-SPAM updates across VerticalScope sites have helped tremendously--there was a time when staff had to manually clear thousands of posts per day (on another site hit unusually hard by automated attacks). Just the other week a server "froze" while deleting SPAMmer accounts due to the huge volume of SPAM--fortunately the anti-SPAM tools are now automated and Moderators can clean up the mess in a matter of minutes (in that case around 30) vs. hours. Administrators tweaked the server that was under attack and slowed the inflow, forum software authors re-wrote some code and shut down the automated tool breaches.

Remember the SPAM companies are malicious; they purposefully develop automated tools to attack sites, so sometimes the forum's human staff is over-run by robots. 🤖

@Dave Maher
@Richard1
@WI_Hedgehog

What do you say, do you need more help?

Jeff M
It seems the recent addition of staff and automated tools have made SPAM manageable. We have a bit of leftover SPAM from some weekends, but it's becoming less frequent. Also important are approving New Members and approving posts that look similar to SPAM but are valid contributions. Those were previously taking a long time to approve and now seem on-par with other sites.

I think it would be good to add another Moderator to lessen the response time and help clean up SPAM accounts on weekends when we're hit especially hard.

161 - 175 of 175 Posts