Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here is my story. Of corse all this is under the assumption that my wife will go for it which may or may not be the case. Anyway here goes.....

I've been tentativly planning to get a Fury in the spring. I'd have more time to get together cash to put down plus the motivation of nicer weather will probably put me over the edge in wanting a new bike. Oh, and I'll probably need more time to talk the wife into it. I planned to buy used to save some money and I don't think I really need a brand new bike.

Shopping around and doing some research it looks like I could find a used one in the 10K range probably already with the cobra sweapts if I'm patient. The down side is I may have to drive (or fly) to get my fury but I'll probably end up with the color I like with the pipes I like.

Here is my delema. Locally I've found one for 9K at a dealer and pretty sure I could talk him down to $8500. Sure its early but I'll save more money than I could get together in that time frame so I'll make it work. Seems like a good price. Whats the problem you ask? The color! I really don't want matte black, any other color.

Pluses:
-Good price
-Not stock exhaust. Not sure what they are but better than stock.
-Has a really cool after market seat but won't do me any good. I NEED the C&C seat with the 3 inch push.

Negatives:
-Color. I'd jump on it if it were any other color. In its defense though I'd always want custom paint anyway regadless of what color I got. With that said I'd probably be able to deal with any other color alot longer.
-Wheels, I really don't like them. In the end I'd want crome but figure I could settle with the silver stock for quite a while. But not black with the pin stripe, I just truly hate these.

So what do you guys think? Bottom line, when I drive off on it my priorities will be to chrome the wheels, change the pipes, and get it painted. I do realize that if I bought a new one I'd still have all these same issues but at a higher price but....... I can live with a stock bike in any other color so........do my saving out weigh my costs?

Thanks guys, I appreciate any opinions you might have. I'll also let the wife read this so she can see what you all have to say, might help right?:rolleyes:

~Joe

·
Registered
835 Posts
Joe, I waited three months to get a BLUE fury and I was getting a new one! I say, take your time and find WHAT YOU WANT. As sure as you jump on the first "good deal" you find, then JUST WHAT YOU WANT will show up! It isn't worth it. My husband and I use to ride two up and built two bikes together. Get your wife involved in the decisions...find out what she likes and dislikes and find a compromise. She will be more interested in finding a bike if it is for you BOTH. I ended up riding my own and my husband and I STILL make decisions on both bikes together....just makes it more FUN!

·
Registered
63 Posts
In the end, it's all about what you think will make you the most happy. One thing to consider about the paint, with some of the other colored bikes the frame is painted the same color as the body panels, but with the matte the frame is black, so depending on what you want your final paint scheme to look like it might bring down costs if you only need to pain the body panels. I personally love my matte color, but then again all my cars are some form of grey/silver, just my thing I guess! :)

·
Registered
560 Posts
this sounds EXACTLY like my post 3 days before I got my FURY. With that being said I was told a price of 11500 otd if i took it that day. i to was planning on waiting until spring but i couldnt say no. The high point was I had all winter to put on all the extras I wanted to. The down side was I was itchin to ride with 30 inches of snow on the ground. You need to do what your heart tells to. Dont buy it if you dont love it. If your buyin it just for the price then hold off. If your buyin it because its exactly what ur lookin for then your dealership should open around 10 am.

Also my fiance wasnt crazy about me getting another bike after I was taken down pretty hard on my R1. When I mentioned it the only response i got was "I dont wanna see it" Well when we DID go to see it I showed her the 1000cc repsol replica as the bike I wanted then SHE picked out the FURY. :D:D:D:D

Anyway, let us know what time ur pickin up ur bike this weekend.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
LMAO - a few miles from my house I could have picked up the matte color when I was buying. The convenience of the dealership was easy BUT that red pinstripe was killin' me (so funny you wrote that) so I could not take that ride. I was not crazy bout the matte either. I rode 3 hours south to Cherry Hill N.J. with my Gixxer 600 in my pickup for trade in - just so I could get the baddest color offered ........... which is obviously BLACK!!
Do not get the matte if ur stressin' it already. Get the color you want and customize it from scratch - use your plastic credit card like every1 else!!

Just an aside - the matte has grown on me since I have seen 2Evils ride in person. It can be hooked up hott with red accents too! But let's be realistic ..... BLACK n CHROME is just Sweeeeeeeeeet!!

:eek::eek:

Larry

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Sounds like you have alot of compromises to make and you arent sure what's most important. If you jump on the one at the dealer you wont be happy. Not the color or exhaust. You would be better off getting a used bike instead of new if you plan on custom paint.
Good point brought up about the frame, if you get a color that has the color frame you want, then you can send out the tins :)rolleyes:) and save yourself some hassle.
Odds are pretty good you wont find a used bike with chrome rims and the exhaust you want.
Life is too short to not get what you want.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Think of what your looking to have in overall. Exhaust is about 500, Fuel controller is another 225ish, and rims are about 800, C&C is i think 300, with picking everything out you want you will be more content and if you shop around you can probably find something with patience.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
A wise man once said;
If you are going to buy a Matte Black Fury, which is something you don't want, then that is enough reason not to buy a Matte Black Fury, unless it is cheap enough to repaint it the color of your happiness. Do not lift a rock only to drop it on your own foot

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
A wise man once said;
If you are going to buy a Black Fury, which is something you don't want, then that is enough reason not to buy a Black Fury, unless it is cheap enough to repaint it the color of your happiness.
Was that RSS???

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
You guys are killing me! I love my Matte Silver but hey to each his own. Thanks for the compliment Larry.
Definitely true about the frame color though. I personally like the flat look.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Dont buy anything until your 100% sold. If not, then you will buy it, and over time look at it and wonder why you bought something you really didnt want. First and foremost, buy it because you want to ride a nice bike. Then you have several different colors that you and only you can choose from. If you think you want a custom paint, then any color will really do. BUT .. consider this. If you custom paint the bike, you are now in the hole with the bike should you decide that you no longer like the bike.

Me personally, im partial to orange. If Honda had offered a Fury in orange i would have traveled the world to get one. JetBlue found me, and i took her home. I havent looked back, not even with 2Evils Matte and Larrys black cause blue is where its at. Yes, now Honda is offering an orange, but im stuck on JetBlue and wouldnt trade her for the world. For a new rider she has served me well, allowing me to make little screw up and not punishing me for doing so.

Good luck with your choice. When you get down to the nuts and bolts, the end decision is ultimately yours.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hummm, everyone is making good points. I'm still very unsure though, what do you guys think of the price point. Again, its $8500-$9000 with 3K for miles.
In reality I don't hate the color, its just my least favorite out of the options. I'm sure probably most of you would like to do some sort of custom painting no matter which color you have so I'm really not sure if the color is the issue.
On the plus side I think the matter is the best color to do any sort of custom painting. The frame being black makes is much easier and more versitile. What do you guys think it would cost to repaint the fenders and tank? I know the sky is the limit but just generaly speaking.
I do hate the rims though, increadably so. Again, I'd want to chrome them not matter what but with them being black I'd feel the need to do it right away. I'm not sure how big an issue the exhaust is either cause like I said, if I bought a new one I'd still have the same issue. I guess I'd just hate to get it and in May find a blue one at the same price with the cobras on it. At this point though its still a grand cheaper than any I can find with online searchers. BTW, the one I did find that is $9800 is also matte.....go figure.
I know I'm sorta talking in circles so what I really want to know is price point. LOL, anyone want to trade rims. I got some nice black ones for you.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, and to Blue Dragon:

I totally know what you are saying about the wife. Unfortunitally, motorcycles just aren't her thing. I think that riding is hard and an even harder thing to learn so you really need the desire which she just dosen't have. No more than I have to learn how to sew. Its not a bad thing though for us to have some separte things in our life. We spend more time together than the average couple so........lol, we work together, comute together, and live together. Its wife 24/7 most of the time. That said though I really wish this was something we could do together but its a hard road. Even for us to ride two up, we haven't been able to get out of our neighborhood before we are both scared to death. I'm a small guy so its hard to support her weight as well as my own and the bike. No to mention that I've never ridden two up either so I have to learn. I guess at the end of the day it is just going to be my thing.

So how do I convince her I need a new bike :D ? She dosen't understand why my Kawasaki 500 isn't sufficent.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Oh, and to Blue Dragon:

I totally know what you are saying about the wife. Unfortunitally, motorcycles just aren't her thing. I think that riding is hard and an even harder thing to learn so you really need the desire which she just dosen't have. No more than I have to learn how to sew. Its not a bad thing though for us to have some separte things in our life. We spend more time together than the average couple so........lol, we work together, comute together, and live together. Its wife 24/7 most of the time. That said though I really wish this was something we could do together but its a hard road. Even for us to ride two up, we haven't been able to get out of our neighborhood before we are both scared to death. I'm a small guy so its hard to support her weight as well as my own and the bike. No to mention that I've never ridden two up either so I have to learn. I guess at the end of the day it is just going to be my thing.

So how do I convince her I need a new bike :D ? She dosen't understand why my Kawasaki 500 isn't sufficent.
Well, you guys are just like us! My husband and I are together 24/7 as well. We also work together and enjoy every minute of it. Most folks think it is crazy that we are together so much and still love eachother. LOL! I wouldn't have it any other way, we are lovers and best friends.
In our years together, we have done ATV's and Rock Crawling (Jeeping). I was not an adventurous type when we met so these things were outside my comfort zone at first, but I actually enjoyed them and love the memories we made. We are not rich, so we can't have all these hobbies at once. My husband isn't a big guy (5'10" and about 170 lbs.) but he has ridden motorcycles most of his life, so riding me two up wasn't a problem. (perhaps it is actually easier on a bike designed for two up riding a 500 is aweful small). We rode that way for almost 3 years....all the while I said I would NEVER ride my own. But here I am on a 2010 Fury! So miricles do happen. LOL!

As for convincing your wife about the new bike, it sounds like you have a terrific relationship and everyone NEEDS a hobby (something besides food, clothing, and shelter to work for). I would just say sit down and explain your need for a motorcycle. That is what my husband did with Jeeping...talk about doing scary shit! I still say that experience caused every gray hair! It was something he wanted to do, and I supported him. Fortunately, he out grew it before it killed us! LOL! j/k.... Anyway, you have reasons for wanting this bike and all I would suggest you do is explain it to her from your heart. She doesn't have to ride to be involved in fixing it up for you either. My husband started showing his bike and I was very active in finding cool stuff and helping with the "build" of his bike. Winning first place plaques and trophies became very fun for me too, because I had so much of my own creativity invested in the bike too. Actually became the modivation to have my own bike!
Good luck!....and I stilll say wait for what you want or you will be sorry!

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
I agree, wait for what really talks to you....don't settle for price.....you're gonna have the bike for a while....get what you want....

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Clintster442, just came home with it huh. Lol, mine would be more than pissed. Actually I was going to say this to Blue Dragon as well but the wife sorta has every reason to be the way she is about a new bike. In all honestly I really do get whatever I want and I have other hobbies. When I'm not working I think I'm a rockstar so I have a bunch of those type toys and money invested there. I'm attempting to sell some of those unneeded peices to raise motorcyle money but they are never an easy sell or worth a whole lot of money.
The net of it is she is being more than fair and I have no reason to complain. That dosen't stop my fury obsession though so I still gotta try. This is also why price is so important. It isn't only about what I want. My goal is to get what I want as well as not putting any financial strain on the family. And what do I want?...........A Fury. Is matte black my favorite? No but the ugliest matte fury is still worlds above the best looking Harley, to me anyway. To me there isn't anything comparable to the fury in its price range and several price ranges above it. To beat the fury its gonna cost 20K and up.
Also no offense intended on my matte and black wheel comments. Only I think they are ugly, dosen't mean that they are. In fact I prefer people like the matte, the fury would be alot less apealing if we all were riding a blue one.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh.................

and forgive my spelling and gramer-ic-able errors. Its firday and I just don't have the brain power. What little I have is day dreaming about riding.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts