Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Honda Interstate with under 3k miles, and recently the PGM-FI indicator has been coming on and the bike sputters and jerks. At low speeds/RPMs it dies altogether, but haven't had a problem starting it up again. I'll ride a little and same thing will happen again. I haven't added anything other than a battery tender, which I've had long before this started happening so I really doubt it's related

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
First thing to do is check your battery cable connections and make sure they are tight.

If they are then you should take the bike into a Honda dealer and let them check to see if there are any codes saved.

The MIL indicator is like a Check Engine light on a car. There may be a saved code that would lead them to the problem.

These bikes have a failsafe mode that will usually keep you from being stranded. If the ECM detects a problem it will go into a default mode, kind of like a "limp mode".

If the problem is detected on the fuel injection side of things it will turn the bike off to keep you from potentially damaging the bike by running it to lean.

Keep us posted as to the outcome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. A buddy of mine suggested it may be the air filter even tho the bike only has 3k miles. I inspected the filter and although it was a bit dirty, it didn't look too bad. He suggested I leave it off and only put the cover back on and test it out that way. The indicator came on a couple of times at the onset of my test ride, but soon I could tell it cleared up. It began performing like it should and the problem seems to have cleared up riding it without an air filter, so I'm assuming that was the problem. I've already ordered a new filter online, and if I notice I start having issues with the new filter, I'll likely try upgrading to a Cobra Power Flo Air Intake system and see if that works.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
Thanks for the reply. A buddy of mine suggested it may be the air filter even tho the bike only has 3k miles. I inspected the filter and although it was a bit dirty, it didn't look too bad. He suggested I leave it off and only put the cover back on and test it out that way. The indicator came on a couple of times at the onset of my test ride, but soon I could tell it cleared up. It began performing like it should and the problem seems to have cleared up riding it without an air filter, so I'm assuming that was the problem. I've already ordered a new filter online, and if I notice I start having issues with the new filter, I'll likely try upgrading to a Cobra Power Flo Air Intake system and see if that works.
Best of luck to you on that.

I don't see the correlation. The bike is stock, without any fuel controller or ECU reflash so the stock filter should be more than sufficient.

The factory service manual doesn't call for the air filter to be changed until 12,000 miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, that's why I hadn't tried changing the air filter sooner, because I don't see the correlation either, but it seems to have worked. Now I'm wondering what's gonna happen when I get the new filter in and put it on. I'm hoping I won't have to upgrade the air intake, but whatever keeps her happy and running sweet I guess

·
Registered
103 Posts
Probably just me, but I'd be cautious following suggestions from anyone who told me to run one of my vehicles without the air filter in place. Hello, engine damage!

Back to the issue at hand, my bet is that there is something else going on.

x2 on the suggestion to check for a code.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Yeah, that's why I hadn't tried changing the air filter sooner, because I don't see the correlation either, but it seems to have worked. Now I'm wondering what's gonna happen when I get the new filter in and put it on. I'm hoping I won't have to upgrade the air intake, but whatever keeps her happy and running sweet I guess
If you put a clean new filter on it and the problem returns, the problem is not the filter. You should not have to run with no filter element in order to get it to run as normal.

Reactions: Gizmo and FG Steve
1 - 7 of 7 Posts