Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I figured I would pose this question to the forum as a whole in hopes of getting more input.

I know that the standard rear wheel for a 250 is 8.5" wide.

Here are my questions...

1. Is that 8.5" measured to the inside of the wheels lips where the bead seats, which I believe it is, OR total width???

2. Is it possible to go to a 9" wheel and still clear the shaft drive???

3. I have been looking online at different companies that widen wheels but haven't contacted any of them as of yet.... does anyone have any suggestions on vendors?

Obviously I will have to notch the swingarm and torque arm.

Now I will tag the usual suspects...

@AV8R @NightFury and anyone else who has gone wider.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hello Kbuskill

I did mine a couple of months ago with the same company that AVR used .
The tire sits on the inner edge of the wheel this is the proper rim size. on the fury its 6.25
you can see in the photo it is measured on the inner edge then you have the total rim size to the outer edges of the wheel which is about another 1/2 inch or more

Question 1 . Is that 8.5" measured to the inside of the wheels lips where the bead seats, which I believe it is, OR total width???

ANSWER= YES inside of the wheels lips .

Question 2 . Is it possible to go to a 9" wheel and still clear the shaft drive???

ANSWER YES I think so but with what I learned doing mine if you stick to a 8.5 you will give yourself a lot less work on the swing arm and the rear fender Also which tyre you use will have an effect on the width as well.
my personal View 8.5 gives a nice fat look without having to pay the venders greedy money for modified swing arms as you can do it yourself if you have the confidence .

AV8R and @NightFury will be along to explain better than me and give there opinion good luck you will love doing the job if you do it yourself :smile:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hello Kbuskill

I did mine a couple of months ago with the same company that AVR used .
The tire sits on the inner edge of the wheel this is the proper rim size. on the fury its 6.25
you can see in the photo it is measured on the inner edge then you have the total rim size to the outer edges of the wheel which is about another 1/2 inch or more

Question 1 . Is that 8.5" measured to the inside of the wheels lips where the bead seats, which I believe it is, OR total width???

ANSWER= YES inside of the wheels lips .

Question 2 . Is it possible to go to a 9" wheel and still clear the shaft drive???

ANSWER YES I think so but with what I learned doing mine if you stick to a 8.5 you will give yourself a lot less work on the swing arm and the rear fender Also which tyre you use will have an effect on the width as well.
my personal View 8.5 gives a nice fat look without having to pay the venders greedy money for modified swing arms as you can do it yourself if you have the confidence .

AV8R and @NightFury will be along to explain better than me and give there opinion good luck you will love doing the job if you do it yourself :smile:
Thanks for the response.... I am not concerned with the cost of modding the swingarm as I have a guy local to me that welds aluminum that I intend on using for a decent price.

I also should have mentioned that I will be getting rid of the entire rear fender and subframe and going with a steel fender.

I more question @clik

Is that your wheel in the pic you posted???

That also brings up a good question.... what is the mounted tire width of varying tires on a 9" wide Wheel???

For instance, I know on an 8.5" wheel that a 250 measures 10" wide. While a 260 seems to only measure 9.75" on the same 8.5" wheel.

A 9" wheel doesn't seem to be a standard size wheel.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hello

No that is not my wheel maybe next year when I will be asking you the Questions :wink:

Depending what tyre you use below will help with width and height
On my 8.5 wheel I fitted a Pirelli diablo 240/40zr 18

The profile is expressed as a percentage of the tyre's width. Eg. my tyre 240/40/zr/18 tyre has a profile or sidewall that is 60% of the 240mm (width). A low profile tyre is generally 50% or below, down to as little as 30% with ultra low profile tyres.

Not the best answers as you are looking for width not the profile I am sure that person will come on soon

Now on another note if you decide sell your rear fender can I have first option as I would like to play with one but have another in case I mess it up .

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello

No that is not my wheel maybe next year when I will be asking you the Questions :wink:

Depending what tyre you use below will help with width and height
On my 8.5 wheel I fitted a Pirelli diablo 240/40zr 18

The profile is expressed as a percentage of the tyre's width. Eg. my tyre 240/40/zr/18 tyre has a profile or sidewall that is 60% of the 240mm (width). A low profile tyre is generally 50% or below, down to as little as 30% with ultra low profile tyres.

Not the best answers as you are looking for width not the profile I am sure that person will come on soon

Now on another note if you decide sell your rear fender can I have first option as I would like to play with one but have another in case I mess it up .

Thanks for the info... I am pretty well versed with the profile being a percentage of width... I have had a few low riders in my day, so low profile tires are a must... lol

Unfortunately my rear fender is shot due to the accident I was involved in.... which is why I will be upgrading to the wider wheel and a steel fender.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Unfortunately my rear fender is shot due to the accident I was involved in.... which is why I will be upgrading to the wider wheel and a steel fender.
Sorry my friend I new this but just did not put 2 and 2 together when I posted :confuzed:

Glad you are well and not giving up .

A tip I got from AV8R was to fit a pipe between the holes of the swing arm and bolt up with the wheel shaft bolt when your welder is welding to stop the swing arm going out of shape the heat transfer on alloy is fast and hot this you may know but I thought better mention .

I am looking forward to this project starting

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Happy to know you are allready planning on reviving Marylin. Yourself okay ?

Rim width is measured where the rubber meets the metal, so that's between rimlips.
My rear wheel was widened (and re-stamped) 18x7,75". Pic #2 Total width, outside to outside is 214mm ( 8"7/16). Yes, that's my wheel. You don't see any welds as it is nicely finished inside and outside.
The mounted Metzeler 240 tyre measures 235 mm leaving less than 1/8" clearance with the stock swingarm. I did have to clip the rubber boot covering the drive shaft a bit to clear the tyre.
Pic #4 shows the distance 1" 7/16 between rim and drive shaft. Tyre and shaft clearance is about 7/8".
Last pic shows the notched torque-arm and tyre, just clear of each other. You need to notch the torque-arm at least 1"1/4 to get the same clearance as the drive shaft has.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
you asked if anybody else had gone wider, well now that you mention it wigho has put on some weight :wink: keep us updated with pictures m8, and I hope your healing well.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
A 9" wheel doesn't seem to be a standard size wheel.
Who cares ? When a wheel is widened the rim itself is not replaced by another wider rim. The outer lips are cut off and replaced by new material cut from a wide enough rim which is welded on to the existing rim.
The German company that did my wheel has specially forged oversized blanks which are welded to the rim and turned on a CNC lathe to the required size, finishwelded, turned again and then polished or painted. This way they can make rims up to 15" wide.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Who cares ? When a wheel is widened the rim itself is not replaced by another wider rim. The outer lips are cut off and replaced by new material cut from a wide enough rim which is welded on to the existing rim.
The German company that did my wheel has specially forged oversized blanks which are welded to the rim and turned on a CNC lathe to the required size, finishwelded, turned again and then polished or painted. This way they can make rims up to 15" wide.
Yes.... my reasoning for saying 9" wide not being a standard size is that it may be hard to find tire measurements posted for a given tire. In other words, we know that a 250 tire mounted on an 8.5" rim measures out to 10".... but what if the same tire were mounted on a 9" rim???

A 260 tire mounted on an 8.5" rim supposedly measures out to around 9.75".... but again, what if it were mounted on a 9" rim???

I guess I could play it safe and just go with 8.5" because we all know that will fit.... but it's not much fun to follow the normal and be like everyone else so I was curious just how far I can go... lol

·
6,033 Posts
For what it's worth I put a 240 Metzeler on a 8.5" rim on my old school build and it takes up the whole rim but does not seem to poke off the edges if that makes sense. In my view 7.5 to 8" would be the ideal size for a 240. I would also prefer to run a Metzeler 240 over another brand 250, due to my experience with the Metzeler in Sydney riding conditions. As you might have guessed if I was to go wider than stock I would do it the way AV8R did.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
A 260 tire mounted on an 8.5" rim supposedly measures out to around 9.75".... but again, what if it were mounted on a 9" rim???

I guess I could play it safe and just go with 8.5" because we all know that will fit.... but it's not much fun to follow the normal and be like everyone else so I was curious just how far I can go... lol
It surely would not be wider than 260 so my guesstimate would be 10.25" (260mm).
Considering my 235 mm wide tyre has about 20mm of clearance with the drive shaft I would say it will fit on the left side of the swingarm, BUT you need to take at least a 16 mm (5/8") chunk out of the right side of it. Just went down to the garage to measured it, the swingarm is just 32mm wide in that area so you're left with only half the thickness. :skellie: I strongly suggest some external reinforcement.

Ask your welder if you have a choice in aluminium alloys for your reinforcements. 6061-T6 is the recommended alloy for it's excellent weldability, strength in the heat effected zone and corrosion resistance.
BTW when welding on the torque arm make sure you remove the factory applied anodizing before welding. The anodizing acts as an insulator and even when broken up by the welding heat , it will contaminate the weld = bad weld.

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The problem is everything I am finding for 250-260 tire info says 8.5" - 9.5" rim width recommended... if we were playing with hand grenades than a 1" difference is no big deal BUT a 1" difference or even a .5" difference may mean the difference between it fitting or rubbing the drive shaft.

I was thinking of adding a thick piece of aluminum to the outside of the swingarm on the right if need be, as you recommended.

Perhaps I am not using the proper search criteria but I can't seem to find the overall width of a given tire on a given rim.

Having the rim widened is a costly venture and I would really hate to get it wrong... do I play it safe at 8.5" or do I break new ground and try something new at the risk of failure???

Good thing I have some time to ponder and measure... lol

·
6,033 Posts
The problem is everything I am finding for 250-260 tire info says 8.5" - 9.5" rim width recommended... if we were playing with hand grenades than a 1" difference is no big deal BUT a 1" difference or even a .5" difference may mean the difference between it fitting or rubbing the drive shaft.

I was thinking of adding a thick piece of aluminum to the outside of the swingarm on the right if need be, as you recommended.

Perhaps I am not using the proper search criteria but I can't seem to find the overall width of a given tire on a given rim.

Having the rim widened is a costly venture and I would really hate to get it wrong... do I play it safe at 8.5" or do I break new ground and try something new at the risk of failure???

Gar did a thread of different tyres on different rims and from memory Tony (t-mod) chipped in with some extra measurements. Given you put ABS calipers and linked the brakes on a non ABS bike you just have to break new ground and go with a 9" or 9.5" rim and a 260 tyre. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,311 Posts

I'll just ponder and measure along with you......................
So a 260 tyre is 260mm wide. Only if you go really crazy on rim width the tyresize will remain the same, only the crown will be a bit more round (narrower rim) or less round (wider rim).
Have look at this early (2010) post > http://www.furyforums.com/forum/fur...-wheels/4597-wide-tire-mod-vs-stock-tire.html A 240 on a stock 6.25" rim is 210mm wide. Going up .75" to 7" adds just 10mm to tyre width. Going to 7.75" (my personal wheel) gives 235mm tyre width.Going up another .75" to 8.5" adds only 5mm and now it reaches its true 240 tyre size. IMO fitting a 260 on a 9" rim will still be 260 wide and with some surgery and exoskeleton on the swingarm possible on a Fury.

You may also read this 2013 thread by STG > http://www.furyforums.com/forum/fury-suspension-setup-tires-wheels/38738-chopping-swingarm.html

Reactions: Kbuskill

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I found this posted on another forum...

Tire: 240/40vr18 Metzeler
Rim rec: 8.5"
min. rim size: 8.0"
max. rim size: 9.0"
width: 9.41"
hieght: 25.78"

Tire: 260 Metzeler
Rim rec: 9.0"
min. rim size: 8.50"
max. rim size: 9.5
width: 9.8"
hieght: 25.78

Tire: 280/35vr18 Metzeler
Rim rec: 10"
min. rim size: 9.5"
max. rim size: 10.5"
width: 10.91"

Tire: 250/40R18 Avon
max. rim size: 9.50"
width: 10"
hieght: 25.9"

Tire: 300/35R18 Avon
Rim rec: 10.5"
min. rim size: 10"
max. rim size: 11"
width: 11.8
hieght: 26.3"

Tire: 330/30vr17 Avon
Rim rec: 12"
min. rim size: 11.5"
max. rim size: 12.5"
width: 327mm
hieght: 635mm

Tire: 240/40R18 Dunlop
width: 10.02"
hieght: 26.2"

Kinda adds to the confusion... Kinda clears things up a little... lol

I think I would rather have a flatter profile tire to give more contact with the road so I think a tire stretched over a wider rim would be in order.

Kinda funny the 240 Dunlop is slightly wider than the 250 or 260 but also slightly taller on the same 9" rim.

At this point I am leaning more towards the Metzler 260 because it is only .2" narrower than the Avon 250 but also shorter which leads me to think it would have more rubber on the ground and get me that much closer to my goal of losing the kickstand.

If Steve's measurements are correct then the Metzler 260 should fit within the swingarm on a 9" rim.

The Metz seem to run a little narrow compared to the Dunnies.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I found this posted on another forum...

Tire: 240/40vr18 Metzeler
Rim rec: 8.5"
min. rim size: 8.0"
max. rim size: 9.0"
width: 9.41"

Tire: 260 Metzeler
max. rim size: 9.5
width: 9.8"
hieght: 25.78

Tire: 280/35vr18 Metzeler
Rim rec: 10"
min. rim size: 9.5"
max. rim size: 10.5"
width: 10.91"

Tire: 250/40R18 Avon
width: 10"
hieght: 25.9"

Tire: 300/35R18 Avon
Rim rec: 10.5"
min. rim size: 10"
max. rim size: 11"
width: 11.8
hieght: 26.3"

Tire: 330/30vr17 Avon
Rim rec: 12"
min. rim size: 11.5"
max. rim size: 12.5"
width: 327mm
hieght: 635mm

Tire: 240/40R18 Dunlop
width: 10.02"
hieght: 26.2"

Kinda adds to the confusion... Kinda clears things up a little... lol

I think I would rather have a flatter profile tire to give more contact with the road so I think a tire stretched over a wider rim would be in order.

Kinda funny the 240 Dunlop is slightly wider than the 250 or 260 but also slightly taller on the same 9" rim.

At this point I am leaning more towards the Metzler 260 because it is only .2" narrower than the Avon 250 but also shorter which leads me to think it would have more rubber on the ground and get me that much closer to my goal of losing the kickstand.

If Steve's measurements are correct then the Metzler 260 should fit within the swingarm on a 9" rim.

The Metz seem to run a little narrow compared to the Dunnies.
I'm reading through the great information you've provided, enjoying measurement the way God intended. All the sudden I see mm (WTF) which dayum near caused a brain fart in conjunction with an aneurysm. In the future, please be more careful. All the sudden throwing a mm in the middle of " can cause serious brain injury.:grin:

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm reading through the great information you've provided, enjoying measurement the way God intended. All the sudden I see mm (WTF) which dayum near caused a brain fart in conjunction with an aneurysm. In the future, please be more careful. All the sudden throwing a mm in the middle of " can cause serious brain injury.:grin:
I agree.... I noticed that when I copied it from the other site and thought to myself... WTFruit... lol

1 - 20 of 32 Posts