Honda Fury Forums: banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
6,023 Posts
I'm reading through the great information you've provided, enjoying measurement the way God intended. All the sudden I see mm (WTF) which dayum near caused a brain fart in conjunction with an aneurysm. In the future, please be more careful. All the sudden throwing a mm in the middle of " can cause serious brain injury.:grin:
I agree.... I noticed that when I copied it from the other site and thought to myself... WTFruit... lol
LOL.......It would be a lot easier if everyone just stuck to metric (mm, cm & m). Have you ever had to explain the imperial system to anyone under 50? Virtually impossible, fractional inch stuff does their head in. :confuzed:

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
LOL.......It would be a lot easier if everyone just stuck to metric (mm, cm & m). Have you ever had to explain the imperial system to anyone under 50? Virtually impossible, fractional inch stuff does their head in. :confuzed:
I don't know. My son, 25, is well versed in it. He does machining, welding, HVAC, installs. He still talks about 'taking off a thou'. Maybe it's because all the guys he learned under are old timers...

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
^^^
Even if that may be the case, I have a sprained brain now. Reading quickly through imperial measures and then abruptly running in to metric measure.is unsafe.:grin:

·
6,023 Posts
I don't know. My son, 25, is well versed in it. He does machining, welding, HVAC, installs. He still talks about 'taking off a thou'. Maybe it's because all the guys he learned under are old timers...
May also depend on when & where you went to school. Australia is a metric only country now but it wasn't always. When I went to school it was all imperial, when my brother (5 years younger) went to school he learnt imperial and metric and when my sister (9 years younger) went to school it was metric only. My daughter is 23 and she has no clue about imperial measurements, she once asked me what is a foot, inch and what is a gallon. :3ek:

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
It would be a lot easier if everyone just stuck to metric (mm, cm & m).
Don't you worry, Mac. It may take a while but the world is turning metric. Inch by inch >:)>:)>:)

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I could give a rat's @ss, just choose one and standardize everything. Computer connectors, audio/video cable termination, device connectors...the list goes on. Just make up my mind and while you're at it, standard or daylight savings time...pick ONE...puhleeeeze.:crying:

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I could give a rat's @ss, just choose one and standardize everything. Computer connectors, audio/video cable termination, device connectors...the list goes on. Just make up my mind and while you're at it, standard or daylight savings time...pick ONE...puhleeeeze.:crying:
Move to AZ.... one time, year round.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi, I'm new ryding motorcycles and I'm about to get a fury, I was wondering if I can put a wider wheel, without changing the swingarm (buying a sumo kit)? Or putting a fatter tire on a stock rim without changing any stock par the fury?

·
Septuagenarian Rider
4,151 Posts
In other words, we know that a 250 tire mounted on an 8.5" rim measures out to 10".... but what if the same tire were mounted on a 9" rim???
Take the manufacturer's tire section width at their recommended rim size then add or subtract half the difference in desired rim width to get the tire's 'distorted' section width. Section width is roughly halfway between the rim (which is changing width) and the tread (which is not changing width) :wink:.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello Kbuskill

I did mine a couple of months ago with the same company that AVR used .
The tire sits on the inner edge of the wheel this is the proper rim size. on the fury its 6.25
you can see in the photo it is measured on the inner edge then you have the total rim size to the outer edges of the wheel which is about another 1/2 inch or more

Question 1 . Is that 8.5" measured to the inside of the wheels lips where the bead seats, which I believe it is, OR total width???

ANSWER= YES inside of the wheels lips .

Question 2 . Is it possible to go to a 9" wheel and still clear the shaft drive???

ANSWER YES I think so but with what I learned doing mine if you stick to a 8.5 you will give yourself a lot less work on the swing arm and the rear fender Also which tyre you use will have an effect on the width as well.
my personal View 8.5 gives a nice fat look without having to pay the venders greedy money for modified swing arms as you can do it yourself if you have the confidence .

AV8R and @NightFury will be along to explain better than me and give there opinion good luck you will love doing the job if you do it yourself 😄
Hello, I read your reply on widing the fury rear wheel I was wanting a 8.5” wheel RC components makes to match my front wheel from them Chad at RC says allot guys buy the 8.5” for fury but he did not know how they get to fit without severe modifications. I measured the distance and seems to fit so my question is are saying all you did was trim the rubber boot on the driveshaft to clear the new tire/wheel combo?

·
6,023 Posts
Hello, I read your reply on widing the fury rear wheel I was wanting a 8.5” wheel RC components makes to match my front wheel from them Chad at RC says allot guys buy the 8.5” for fury but he did not know how they get to fit without severe modifications. I measured the distance and seems to fit so my question is are saying all you did was trim the rubber boot on the driveshaft to clear the new tire/wheel combo?
You need a widened swing arm for the Sumo 250 Fury mimic wheel, but with a Harley style wheel you would have to widen the swing arm even more as you will need to fit in a HD to Fury shaft drive adapter. Most Fury guys who go for Harley wheels have to go with a 5.5" and an adapter.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts