Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was one of the dumber things I've done in a while. When I got on the bike yesterday the fuel light was already on but that's no problem because I always reset my trip meter to zero when I fill up so I know how far I can go. Wrong!

When she started spitting and sputtering I remembered that I actually rode a few miles after the last fillup *before* I reset to zero. I rode about 3/4 mile while sputtering which got me to within 50 yards of a pump. Rather than let her die completely I shut her off and walked her in the rest of the way. After filling up, she started instantly and ran perfectly so I burned rubber out of there (because I could).

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
This was one of the dumber things I've done in a while. When I got on the bike yesterday the fuel light was already on but that's no problem because I always reset my trip meter to zero when I fill up so I know how far I can go. Wrong!

When she started spitting and sputtering I remembered that I actually rode a few miles after the last fillup *before* I reset to zero. I rode about 3/4 mile while sputtering which got me to within 50 yards of a pump. Rather than let her die completely I shut her off and walked her in the rest of the way. After filling up, she started instantly and ran perfectly so I burned rubber out of there (because I could).
OSHA calls that a near miss. still have to write a report tho :(

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts

We need to start a club for this.....RSS can be the President. Glad you made it to the gas station!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Dont feel stupid I have a confession.....

I bought Fury home and went to work giving her the once over......I searched for 3 long bloody weeks looking for a fuel tap.....No way did I tell anyone that I didn't know how to put my bike on reserve!!! lmao

In my defence I have never had a bike with a fuel light and no fuel tap..

feel a bit better now???

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
i'm still dumbfounded that Honda cheaped out on the "dashboard".
stupid stupid stupid.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I also have had this issue but did not push the bike. Drank 3 beers and waited for my buddy to deliver the bike a drink. After seeing what pushing can do to you, one might consider an alternate method!! (LOL)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also have had this issue but did not push the bike. Drank 3 beers and waited for my buddy to deliver the bike a drink. After seeing what pushing can do to you, one might consider an alternate method!! (LOL)
I'd have done the same if I ran out at a bar. Or did you have those beers iced down on your Fury-mounted-cooler?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Wish I had coolers on board!! Nah, my riding buddy has a Roadglide with bottomless fiberglass bags. One for clothing and such and one holds a 12 pack with ice. Frickin pisses me off when I'm behind him, dam bag drains right into me :eek:, so I lead most of the time %^)

I'd have done the same if I ran out at a bar. Or did you have those beers iced down on your Fury-mounted-cooler?

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
LOL I have been close but I can't use the trip meter as an indicator because I ride different depending on where I am. Mine came on on the highway and I figured I could make it to the next exit. I was right but it took the full 3.5 to fill it up so I had to be on fumes.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
That was for the battery, but still... lesson learned :p Don't let girl distract me... ;)

·
Registered
373 Posts
I did the same thing several months ago, 'cept it was on purpose. I wanted to see exactly how far my heavy throttle could go. 143.6 miles.:D

·
Registered
238 Posts
I did the same thing several months ago, 'cept it was on purpose. I wanted to see exactly how far my heavy throttle could go. 143.6 miles.:D
on that note it's amazing the difference in economy between the short in town trips and the open rd ones.....I've never had a bike that has such a noticeable difference and have come to the conclusion that you just can't go slow.... fury doesn't like it!! lol

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I rode about 3/4 mile while sputtering which got me to within 50 yards of a pump.
I must have lean-fouled the plugs by sputtering so far because she's been running rough. Replaced the plugs yesterday with the standard NGK DCPR6E and we're back to normal. The gap on the new plugs matched the old plugs so no change needed there.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Ran out of gas a couple weeks ago. Scared the shit out me. I wasn't able to make it as far as I needed to. I was 2 miles away from my house. It wasn't fun sitting on the side of the road like I see Harley's do. Glad all I had to do was juice her up and she started right away.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Learned my lesson this past weekend. Took a 120 mile ride, mostly Interstate. On the way home, Fury started sputtering. Red light came on at 110 miles. Figured I had 20 or 30 miles left. Wrong. Luckily was able to coast into the only service station I had seen in 20 miles. From now on will fill up every 100 miles. No more waiting for red light. That Fury is too heavy to be pushing down the Interstate!!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Welcome to the club, Taffyspop; everybody has to learn that lesson, at least once. LOL.

Cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts