Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2010 honda Fury
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I was looking to do a ecu reflash. I gual motors still doing it in the meantime I found this. Seems legit but rocket science to install. Unless someone wants to reflash mine or install this on a unit for metro
MAGNUM REVOLUTION-PRO Motorcycle Speed / REV Limiter CDI Box

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Give us a link

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
That product is $220 + you still need a fuel controller to go with it, according to their instructions, and it is still a piggyback device, with extra connections, that has the potential for added problems AND you have to drill holes and desolder/resolder on your ECU's main chip board. Hopefully you don't screw up and have to buy a new ECU.

All of this is assuming it works and it would still be a guessing game trying to tune it and the fuel controller together without paying extra for dyno tuning.

I know I am partial but the ECU reflash is a no brainer IMO.

Here you go @Ordinary Biker
Honda MAGNUM REVOLUTION-PRO Motorcycle Speed / REV Limiter CDI Box

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
An interesting concept. Removing the crystal is just changing the clock speed. We used to do this back in the late 80s and early 90s to make our Macintosh computers go a bit faster when they had the old Motorola 680XX CPUs. You could probably achieve the 20% increase just by swapping the crystal for one that is 20% faster. A new crystal is only a few dollars at places like Parts Express in the USA or Jaycar & WES in Australia. If you had a spare ECU lying around that you did not care if it got damaged and you are good at soldering double sided circuit boards it might be fun to try it out and report back to us how it went.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
That product is $220 + you still need a fuel controller to go with it, according to their instructions, and it is still a piggyback device, with extra connections, that has the potential for added problems AND you have to drill holes and desolder/resolder on your ECU's main chip board. Hopefully you don't screw up and have to buy a new ECU.

All of this is assuming it works and it would still be a guessing game trying to tune it and the fuel controller together without paying extra for dyno tuning.

I know I am partial but the ECU reflash is a no brainer IMO.

Here you go @Ordinary Biker
Honda MAGNUM REVOLUTION-PRO Motorcycle Speed / REV Limiter CDI Box
I found it with a google search. I just wanted him to do it instead of expecting us to do all the work.

Completely agree with Ken's point. Reflash or GTFO.

Reactions: Kbuskill and Gizmo

·
Registered
2010 honda Fury
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An interesting concept. Removing the crystal is just changing the clock speed. We used to do this back in the late 80s and early 90s to make our Macintosh computers go a bit faster when they had the old Motorola 680XX CPUs. You could probably achieve the 20% increase just by swapping the crystal for one that is 20% faster. A new crystal is only a few dollars at places like Parts Express in the USA or Jaycar & WES in Australia. If you had a spare ECU lying around that you did not care if it got damaged and you are good at soldering double sided circuit boards it might be fun to try it out and report back to us how it went.
Wow wouldn't that be good. Let's just ask it. Hello out there please speK up if you have the ability to do the soder and whoever has an old ecu laying around for the love of us all a $5 fix 20 percent increase lets make it happen

·
Super Moderator
3,117 Posts
Wow wouldn't that be good. Let's just ask it. Hello out there please speK up if you have the ability to do the soder and whoever has an old ecu laying around for the love of us all a $5 fix 20 percent increase lets make it happen
There's an issue with Electron Tunneling, so the chip will most likely start "miscounting" and eventually cause an operating system crash. Later on people usually notice data corruption, such as pictures or documents that are corrupt.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
There's an issue with Electron Tunneling, so the chip will most likely start "miscounting" and eventually cause an operating system crash. Later on people usually notice data corruption, such as pictures or documents that are corrupt.
In the computer world we call it over clocking. Some chips are a little under spec'd and can be pushed a bit faster but you have no way of knowing how far you can push a chip before it gets damaged or becomes a hot mess (much like a woman you said no to). Not to forget when you overclock a chip it gets much hotter so then you need to deal with the extra heat.

·
Registered
2010 honda Fury
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well that we t over my head but it all so was a concern. It sees that a reflash all sobadjustscthe cooling fan on off.
The web site that sell the item just say to be responciple and not push the moter for an hr

·
Super Moderator
3,117 Posts
In the computer world we call it over clocking. Some chips are a little under spec'd and can be pushed a bit faster but you have no way of knowing how far you can push a chip before it gets damaged or becomes a hot mess (much like a woman you said no to). Not to forget when you overclock a chip it gets much hotter so then you need to deal with the extra heat.
Yup, been there, done that, got the medal. A lot of guys like water cooling, and if done with a plexi case and clear hoses with die in the water then backlighting makes it look great...until it leaks. I have a ton of copper heatsinks and speed-variable fans with temp. sensors, keeping them cool is a must. More than 10% is just asking a chip to tunnel itself like it has termites from my experience.

So that's why my dating life is a mess...overclocked women run much hotter...

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Some chips are a little under spec'd and can be pushed a bit faster but you have no way of knowing how far you can push a chip before it gets damaged or becomes a hot mess (much like a woman you said no to).
I have understood absolutely nothing on this post other than this comment. Now I do now know not to push my chip until it overheats and becomes over clocked. 😉

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Yup, been there, done that, got the medal. A lot of guys like water cooling, and if done with a plexi case and clear hoses with die in the water then backlighting makes it look great...until it leaks. I have a ton of copper heatsinks and speed-variable fans with temp. sensors, keeping them cool is a must. More than 10% is just asking a chip to tunnel itself like it has termites from my experience.

So that's why my dating life is a mess...overclocked women run much hotter...
Water cooling is a waste of time and money, and really dumb thing to do to something that is easily water damaged. A good heat sink and an efficient quiet fan does the same thing. My PC has LED's in it, but I couldn't give a shit. It's under my desk. I built it to game on, not look at.

·
Registered
2010 honda Fury
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't see a point in hacking up an ECU when you can have Don Guhl reflash the software and have more options, without hacking up the hardware, for a very reasonable price and be done with it.

But that is just my 2 bits.
I agree was not sure guhl still in biz. So I have read all the mumbo and no one answers an easy question. Whike I am sure I will exceed 100 mph onece or twice I can't read the charts and graphs don't know poo about rpm if I have my fury reflashed will it be faster off the line

·
Registered
293 Posts
I agree was not sure guhl still in biz. So I have read all the mumbo and no one answers an easy question. Whike I am sure I will exceed 100 mph onece or twice I can't read the charts and graphs don't know poo about rpm if I have my fury reflashed will it be faster off the line
I just had mine done by Guhl after installing Freedom Performance pipes and a K&N filter in the OEM air box, and I'm likin' it! I, also, blocked off the PAIR valves with dimpled plates from Goheen Cycles to cut out the back-firing. I did notice a MUCH IMPROVED acceleration rate in ALL gears. You may need to adjust your clutch release habit to compensate for the impressive "gitty-up". The ECM reflash does require you to use 91+ octane since the timing gets advanced.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
It will accelerate much faster in all gears. The reflash increases HP/TQ by around 30%.

·
Registered
2010 honda Fury
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks
I just had mine done by Guhl after installing Freedom Performance pipes and a K&N filter in the OEM air box, and I'm likin' it! I, also, blocked off the PAIR valves with dimpled plates from Goheen Cycles to cut out the back-firing. I did notice a MUCH IMPROVED acceleration rate in ALL gears. You may need to adjust your clutch release habit to compensate for the impressive "gitty-up". The ECM reflash does require you to use 91+ octane since the timing gets advanced.
Thanks for the insight. So moderate mechanical skills minimal fear some tools do you believe
I could install the dimple plates myself without having to adjust any valve or tineibg or anything that is out of my tool range.
Should the dimple plates be in befir the reflash or does it matter

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the insight. So moderate mechanical skills minimal fear some tools do you believe
I could install the dimple plates myself without having to adjust any valve or tineibg or anything that is out of my tool range.
Should the dimple plates be in befir the reflash or does it matter
The PAIR valves blocking plates from Goheen come with excellent instructions. The most difficult part was carefully extracting the hoses and the PAIR valves covers...and that wasn't too hard. My only caution would be to start both screws for the covers with the plates raised and gradually seat the covers as you tighten the screws. The screw holes in the plates were just a hair off. There's a rubber seal so snug-tight is good.
I don't know if the reflash alone requires installing the PAIR valves blocking plates. I do know they are essential for aftermarket high flow exhaust/intake upgrades.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
The PAIR valves blocking plates from Goheen come with excellent instructions. The most difficult part was carefully extracting the hoses and the PAIR valves covers...and that wasn't too hard. My only caution would be to start both screws for the covers with the plates raised and gradually seat the covers as you tighten the screws. The screw holes in the plates were just a hair off. There's a rubber seal so snug-tight is good.
I don't know if the reflash alone requires installing the PAIR valves blocking plates. I do know they are essential for aftermarket high flow exhaust/intake upgrades.
Removing the PAIR valves is not required with the reflash. I also do not think that they have any bearing at all on performance. In general, exhaust changes have a lower impact on performance than intake changes. And the PAIR removal is a very small change. It is mostly just aesthetics. If you don't like any popping, take them out. Mine doesn't pop much and I kind of like it, so they are still on mine.

Reactions: Gizmo
1 - 19 of 19 Posts