Honda Fury Forums: banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

· Super Moderator
6,681 Posts
Iracongi! Saw them on Nat geo once…. Holy cow they’re dangerous
And found mainly in Australia........

At this rate you folks will be too worried for your life to come down and ride in the land down under. Plus we drive/ride on the other side of the road and that can do your head in until you get used to it. I still remember the first left hand turn I made in the US. Every part of me was saying this will be the end of me. For those from Canada and the US it will be your first right hand turn.

· Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Iracongi! Saw them on Nat geo once…. Holy cow they’re dangerous
Yep, me too.. this was about 2 weeks after the wife had suggested we vacation in Australia and do some snorkeling. "Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full..."

At this rate you folks will be too worried for your life to come down and ride in the land down under. Plus we drive/ride on the other side of the road and that can do your head in until you get used to it. I still remember the first left hand turn I made in the US. Every part of me was saying this will be the end of me. For those from Canada and the US it will be your first right hand turn.
If your country would let me bring a couple of my guns, I'd gladly come down and feel safe as long as I'm on dry land. I'm confident I can manage a RedBack with a Kimber, and if that's not enough, the Mossberg in a fork-mounted scabbard (whenever @ninerip locates one) should do it. ;) I can even handle riding on the wrong side of the road too... won't be the first time I've done it, just the first time I've done it where it's legal.

After all that’s been spoken about my ass is staying in cold ass Pennsylvania 😂
Agreed! Better to freeze to death than to die from any of those venomous stings or bites... it's far less traumatic!

· Registered
2,964 Posts

I've driven in the UK, and the turns did freak me out at the start. But it was worse driving the RHD Fairlady Z that a buddy had.

· Super Moderator
6,681 Posts
I've driven in the UK, and the turns did freak me out at the start. But it was worse driving the RHD Fairlady Z that a buddy had.
Was it a manual? Changing gears with the other hand feels strange as do the indicators being on the opposite side of the steering column. RHD the gear stick is on the left as is the handbrake and the indicators are on the right side of the steering column.

I had a 1993 300ZX series 2 (known as a Fairlady in Japan) with a 5 speed manual. I loved that car.

· Registered
248 Posts
We have some of the most if not the most dangerous spiders in Oz. We have the Red Back and the Funnel Web. Get bitten by those and you are done for. There are more Red Backs around than Funnel Webs and they love to hide in your letter box, ready to bite you as you reach in for your mail. Funnel Webs like to hide in holes in your garden, yuk I hate spiders. I got bitten by one when I was 4 years old and it is not an experience I care to repeat. Obviously is was not one of the really bad ones as I'm still here some 60 years later. I see a spider and I kill it (unless it is a Huntsman or a Daddy Long Legs). Huntsman spiders are big and can reach up to 6" across but usually only come in the house after a lot of rain, those I catch and put back out in the garden.
I doubt there is an Aussie rider that hasn’t done the ‘huntsman dance’ I used to get them in my jacket & helmet overnight in the garage

I used to catch black & brown snakes as a kid growing up in the bush. It eventually went south on me one day with a eastern brown. That old 6 cyl HQ was airborne a few times getting me to hospital, knocked me about for a while. I know of several people that have gone toes up in just 20 mins with a bite from them

We had eastern mouse spiders all over the farm as well, same deal as funnels.. never leave your boots out at night 🤣 Prob the only spider that looks scarier than a funnel web

· Registered
248 Posts
The water is not always safe either with the sharks and salt water crocks up north. Then there is the bush fires and droughts.......... We are the safest country on earth.... ;)
The worry around here of late are the Irukandji jellies. 6-7 people stung over xmas swimming, punch above their weight for a fingernail sized critter.

We even had a Chinese student collecting Blue Ringed octopus along the bay a while back, had several of them in his freaking hand ffs. Some local saw them & slapped them out of his hand. Talk about a suicide run 😳 no antidote for that little fella

· Registered
2,964 Posts
Was it a manual? Changing gears with the other hand feels strange as do the indicators being on the opposite side of the steering column. RHD the gear stick is on the left as is the handbrake and the indicators are on the right side of the steering column.

I had a 1993 300ZX series 2 (known as a Fairlady in Japan) with a 5 speed manual. I loved that car.
Yeah, it was a manual. And being here in America, everybody was on the wrong side of the road! You can't see shit! When he sold it, I thought about buying it, I just had too many vehicles at the time. I regret that, it was fun as shit to drive, specially in the mountains

· Registered
13,060 Posts

Learning to drive on the opposite side of the road would concern me far more than any of the deadly animals.

· Premium Member
1,077 Posts

· Registered
248 Posts
Learning to drive on the opposite side of the road would concern me far more than any of the deadly animals.
I drive on the right on the South Pacific islands I go to (no traffic lights & on a quad bike, pretty chilled traffic) & occasionally my gf pillion whom is European does give the the odd slap to let me know that I’m back on the left side & that bus coming at me is actually slowing for me not a bus stop. I’m not about to try it in LA or Rome that’s for sure

· Registered
13,060 Posts
I drive on the right on the South Pacific islands I go to (no traffic lights & on a quad bike, pretty chilled traffic) & occasionally my gf pillion whom is European does give the the odd slap to let me know that I’m back on the left side & that bus coming at me is actually slowing for me not a bus stop. I’m not about to try it in LA or Rome that’s for sure
When I was younger, it would've been easier for me to make the transition. I'm too old and crusty now to change and learn new things and I don't bloody want to.

· Super Moderator
6,681 Posts
When I was younger, it would've been easier for me to make the transition. I'm too old and crusty now to change and learn new things and I don't bloody want to.
It's not as difficult as one might imagine. Once you get the hang of switching sides of the road you can change over and not really notice. I find I can get off the plane in San Francisco, pick up a rental car and head straight down the 101S to my favourite hole in the wall Mexican place in San Carlos without thinking I am on the other side of the road. When I get back to Sydney and on the opposite side of the road to what I was on for two weeks it's just business as usual. Although driving/riding on the left hand side of the road does feel more natural as would the right hand side for you.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts