Honda Fury Forums: banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
No, it's not done right. It's an LED in a reflector housing. You are going to get scattered light, no cutoff, and it's going to go right into drivers eyes. Unless the reflector is engineered for that bulb, then it's the same as the other crap out there. But it's not. There aren't even many vehicle manufacturers designing reflectors for their own LED bulbs.
People just refuse to understand this. The only way to install LED or HID bulbs is to install a proper projector. Either in a halogen reflector housing is just bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks all for checking it out. My 48 Buick is a 6V system and the sealed beam halogen headlights work, for these 66 year old eyes, like a pack of birthday candles. I have to give something brighter a shot or I'm probably going to hit something. Appreciate that this is a Honda Fury forum and they are 12V systems, but Mr. G directed me here and I did get some education on H4 beam focus. The motorcycle section of that website may be better for that purpose.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
People just refuse to understand this. The only way to install LED or HID bulbs is to install a proper projector. Either in a halogen reflector housing is just bad.
I disagree. While projectors are ideal, yes.. You can still put an LED bulb in a reflector housing. I would NOT put an HID in a reflector. The key is to find the right LED that places the diode where the halogen equivalent bulb sits. Reflectors are all about exact source of light in a 3 dimensional plane. If you can correctly place the diode, then you can replicate the same reflector dispersion pattern.

The trick is to find the proper LED that is actually engineered this way, AND got the math correct.... the crap coming from China, not so much.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just buy from a respectable place and product. They have all the specs on the website.

"It has an LED array that's designed to mimic the filament in halogen bulbs—creating a closely matched beam style."

I buy all my lighting from these guys.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I disagree. While projectors are ideal, yes.. You can still put an LED bulb in a reflector housing. I would NOT put an HID in a reflector. The key is to find the right LED that places the diode where the halogen equivalent bulb sits. Reflectors are all about exact source of light in a 3 dimensional plane. If you can correctly place the diode, then you can replicate the same reflector dispersion pattern.

The trick is to find the proper LED that is actually engineered this way, AND got the math correct.... the crap coming from China, not so much.
Sorry @mbaskett , there is more to it that where the LED chip is. You cannot replicate this unless you design the reflector FOR a specific bulb. You cannot drop a generic LED in a reflector housing.

I am very well versed in the engineering behind light output. It's too much to get into here but there are forums dedicated to this kind of stuff.

I will politely disagree with you in this subject. The engineering isn't in the bulbs. Why do you think an HID works in all projectors? The bowl is designed for it, the capsule location, etc.

I won't get into scattered light, hotspots, dark spots, or anything else related. My point is if people want better lighting, research and do it properly. Don't drop an LED or HID bulb into a reflector housing. For others sake.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Sorry @mbaskett , there is more to it that where the LED chip is. You cannot replicate this unless you design the reflector FOR a specific bulb. You cannot drop a generic LED in a reflector housing.

I am very well versed in the engineering behind light output. It's too much to get into here but there are forums dedicated to this kind of stuff.

I will politely disagree with you in this subject. The engineering isn't in the bulbs. Why do you think an HID works in all projectors? The bowl is designed for it, the capsule location, etc.

I won't get into scattered light, hotspots, dark spots, or anything else related. My point is if people want better lighting, research and do it properly. Don't drop an LED or HID bulb into a reflector housing. For others sake.
And when you do, research the best color or K. People think the really blue or purple ones look cool. If that is all you are after, go for it. As you shift into the bluer spectrum, the light that your eyes can use goes down. I've seen both 4300K (which is fairly yellow close to what a halogen bulb produces) and 5700K (pretty white) are the best for the human eye to see. I've done quite a lot of military grade optics, and the laymen doesn't understand just how much actually goes into it.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts