Honda Fury Forums: banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Honda Fury
57 Posts
No crimping for me. All hand soldered, flux cleaned off with RO water and then sealed with marine grade heat shrink. I took the pictures in case I feel like making a write-up.

I'm pretty sure we all are except ordinary biker, he sounds like a drug dealer 😆.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Given the amount of Engineers we have that ride Fury’s —— there has to be a correlation… 🤷🏼‍♂️

Yeah yeah I know, I’m thinking like an Engineer!
We like riding our bikes more than fixing leaks from poorly designed engineering.

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
No crimping for me. All hand soldered, flux cleaned off with RO water and then sealed with marine grade heat shrink. I took the pictures in case I feel like making a write-up.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Ear
Maybe consider reading that previous link, it details why solder is bad and crimping is good. We've discussed it a few times on the forums too.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Fury
57 Posts
Oh jeez lol, I can't redo it a third time. Are you worried about fatigue stress in the solder? I'll take my chances this time, it's not like I'm hanging luggage from it.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I use these guys quite a bit, best of both worlds.
Office supplies Art Writing implement Fashion design Font

I also use the crimp version that has the inner sealing glue as well. And, I'll straight solder with a glue shrink wrap if appropriate. All 3 methods have been fine for me in vehicle and motorcycle wiring. Haven't had a connection yet in anything fail.

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
Oh jeez lol, I can't redo it a third time. Are you worried about fatigue stress in the solder? I'll take my chances this time, it's not like I'm hanging luggage from it.
The bike should be fine, just passing along knowledge, what you do with it [if anything] is up to you.

--
A FedEx driver, UPS driver, and USPS driver walk into a bar.
Mind you, your chances of getting this joke are only 50%.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Fury
57 Posts
I use these guys quite a bit, best of both worlds.
View attachment 241199

I also use the crimp version that has the inner sealing glue as well. And, I'll straight solder with a glue shrink wrap if appropriate. All 3 methods have been fine for me in vehicle and motorcycle wiring. Haven't had a connection yet in anything fail.
It's funny you mention these, I bought this exact kit just for this job. When testing I didn't feel confident the solder fully saturated, and that's why I did the old school way. By the time the solder melts like I want, holes were melting thru the shrink wrap. Incredible concept though, and I will keeps these in my emergency bag. It's also worth mentioning that a YouTuber cut these and the solder penetration was only about 60% compared to traditional soldering.

Ok I'm all wired out, I need to go back to ME concepts 😉... And also find who will flash my ECU these days as Guhl seems to be out.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I'm not an engineer. I'm a Technician. We make the things actually work
Hey some us started there. Ass and elbows...term for running manual machines...
Techs and I have great relationships. Some of the best tools come from that collaboration.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Hey some us started there. Ass and elbows...term for running manual machines...
Techs and I have great relationships. Some of the best tools come from that collaboration.
And I have worked with some awesome engineers/designers. And some real idiots unfortunately. We are getting ready to spend multi-millions on some really large expensive machines, and it gets frustrating, what their priorities actually are. And my job will be to live with whatever is decided, and to actually make it happen. But hell, it's the job and I knew it when I came back here, so I really shouldn't complain.

Also, I do both, solder and crimp. I use the leaded solder, EPA be damned. I am the only one at my company that used to be NASA certified to solder. Thankfully they pay me too much to make me do it much.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts