Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cheap being the op word. 3 dol and 50 cent cheap. Easy so far, but I have to learn how to polish aluminum. But if i screw up I can get maybe 6 tries from the 3.50 tab.

Hint, enhancement for the lm scoop and irate combo.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Decided to make this a progress piece, instead of a taadaa piece. First I decided to replace that wire screen in my LM scoop. I wanted mats that are easy to work with and that could be polished.

Next I took the screen and made a template on paper then cut it out of the alum sheet.

next, was to decide on a design. Esteem's theme is based on my work and the radiation symbol so thats where i decided to go. But I still have to keep in theme with the grill. This is what I have so far. now for your input. I like the simplicity of just the symbol, but do you think i should add any flare around it to match the grill?

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
The rad symbol should have a cyrcle around it. JMO
But go for what turns you on.

BTW, great idea for a MOD.:D

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I really dont know how well that will polish. Those are made with recycled aluminum of various qualities. It is not a high grade polishing aluminum. Big John might have more info for you. I would try red on that, just to bring out the best luster.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
I think Mental is right (OK, I said it. Just deal).
The shelf tag looks like Lowes, if it is they have sheet aluminum in the nuts and bolts section. I have had very good results with that.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think Mental is right (OK, I said it. Just deal).
The shelf tag looks like Lowes, if it is they have sheet aluminum in the nuts and bolts section. I have had very good results with that.
Yep its Lowes, Reason I picked it was because of how flexable and easy to cut it is. If it doesnt polish then ill try something else. But I am cutting the designs with a dremel and dont have access to a wet or laser saw.

I did work on a test piece last night and did a rough sanding, the dull coat comes off pretty easy, just have to see how shiney i can get it with some fine paper and a buff. if not live and learn.

Took the circle idea in consideration and cut some quick pieces to round it off. if i use it the template will have all 3 matching instead of the rough cut here.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
The sheet aluminum at lowes is the same thickness as the exhaust ducting. I cut it with plain Scissors, just don't let the wife know you did. wet sand with some 400 grit and pollish and it looks like chrome, well for about 7 or 8 months then it starts to dull. aluminum is corrosion resistant not proof.
good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts